• When you use an ESD wrist strap, follow all electrical safety procedures. An ESD wrist strap
is used for static control. It does not increase or decrease your risk of receiving electric
shock when using or working on electrical equipment.
• If you do not have an ESD wrist strap, just prior to removing the product from ESD packaging
and installing or replacing hardware, touch an unpainted metal surface of the system for a
minimum of 5 seconds. If at any point in this service process you move away from the
system, it is important to again discharge yourself by touching an unpainted metal surface
for at least 5 seconds before you continue with the service process.
Installing a PCIe adapter in the 9080-M9S system
To install a PCIe adapter in the system, complete the steps in this procedure.
1. Ensure that you have the electrostatic discharge (ESD) wrist strap on and that the ESD clip is plugged
into a ground jack or connected to an unpainted metal surface. If not, do so now.
2. If necessary, remove the adapter from the antistatic package.
Attention: Avoid touching the components and gold connectors on the adapter.
3. Place the adapter, component-side up, on a flat, antistatic surface.
Attention: A pin on the tailstock of the adapter resembles a removable screw. Do not remove
this pin. It is required for correct alignment and seating.
4. Remove the PCIe adapter cassette from the slot:
a) Press in on the latch release (A) as shown in the following figure.
The latch is released.
b) Rotate the latch in the direction shown.
The cassette is released from the slot.
c) Pull the cassette straight out from the slot.
8 Power Systems: PCIe adapters for the 9080-M9S