Testing the viewfinder
Proceed as follows.
Adjust the position of the viewfinder.
Check that the color bars are displayed on the
viewfinder screen, and adjust the BRIGHT,
CONTRAST, and PEAKING controls to give the best
color bar display.
Check each of the following operations.
• The menu is displayed on the viewfinder screen.
• Turn the MENU knob and check that the menu page
changes to the next page.
• Press the MENU knob and check that settings of
each item of the selected page are displayed.
• Turn the MENU knob and check that the b mark
moves within the page.
• Press the MENU knob and check that the b mark
placed before the item changes to a z mark and the
z mark placed before the setting of the item changes
to a ? mark.
• Turn the MENU knob and check that the setting of
the selected item changes.
Set the OUTPUT/DCC switch to CAM, and change
the FILTER selector position in the sequence of 1, 2, 3
Check that the FILTER indicator on the viewfinder
screen displays the correct numbers.
Carry out of the following operations, and check that
that the ! indicator lights if the corresponding item has
been turned on on the '!' LED page of the USER menu.
• Set the gain to anything but 0 dB by using the GAIN
selector and the GAIN SW page of the
• Set the SHUTTER selector to ON.
• Set the WHITE BAL switch to PRST.
• Use the lens extender.
• Set the FILTER selector to other than the position
"1" (PDW-510/510P) or other than the position
• Set the reference value of the auto iris to other than
the standard value.
Move the SHUTTER selector from ON to SELECT
repeatedly, and check that the shutter setting changes
on the viewfinder screen.
Pointing the camera at a suitable subject, focus the
camera and check the picture on the viewfinder screen.
10-1 Testing the Camcorder Before Shooting
Set both of the AUDIO IN switches to FRONT, and
check that when sound is input to a microphone
connected to the MIC IN connector on the front of the
camcorder, the audio level indicators appear on the
Check that setting the ZEBRA switch to ON and OFF
makes the zebra pattern appear and disappear on the
The results of checking in steps 3 to 9 may not be as
expected, depending on the settings relating to the
viewfinder display function. In this case, set the desired
items on the VF DISP 1 and VF DISP 2 pages of the USER
For details, see 7-2-2 "Selecting the Display Items" on
Testing the iris and zoom functions
Set the zoom to automatic zoom mode and check that
the power zoom operates correctly.
Set the zoom to manual zoom mode and check the
zoom functions manually.
Set the iris switch on the lens to AUTO and point the
camera at objects of different brightness. Check that
the automatic iris adjustment operates correctly.
Set the iris switch on the lens to MANUAL and check
that turning the iris ring manually adjusts the iris
Set the iris switch on the lens back to AUTO and check
the following points when the GAIN selector is moved
from L to M to H.
• For objects of the same brightness, the iris is
adjusted to correspond to the change in setting.
• The gain indicator on the viewfinder screen changes
to correspond to the change in setting.
If an extender mechanism is incorporated in your lens,
put the extender lever of the lens into the 2x position
and check the following points.
• The indication "EX" appears at the top left on the
• The auto iris functions correctly.
10-1-3 Testing the VDR
Perform tests (1) to (7) consecutively.