Finding the optimal position for holding a telephone may require practice
for some individuals, and one or more of the following suggestions may
1. Hold the telephone as you would normally.
2. Hold the telephone towards the top of the ear (closer to where the
3. If whistling occurs, it may take a few seconds of holding the telephone
in the same position before the hearing instrument adapts.
4. Any whistling may also be decreased by holding the telephone slightly away from the ear.
5. Depending on your individual needs, your hearing care professional may activate a pro-
gram specifically for telephone use.
If needed, a telecoil can be activated by your hearing care professional and accessed through
one of the additional programs. A telecoil picks up a telephone's magnetic signal and converts
it to sound. When using a telecoil program, the receiver of the telephone may need to be held
closer to the hearing instrument. The handset of the telephone may need to be moved to slightly
different positions in order to find the best reception.
The PhoneNow function, available on some hearing instrument models, allows your hearing
instrument to automatically switch to your telephone program when a telephone receiver is
raised to the ear. When the telephone receiver is removed from the ear, the hearing instrument
automatically returns to the previous listening program.
Placement of PhoneNow magnets
While some telephone receivers produce a magnetic field strong enough
to activate the Phone Now function, other telephone receivers require an
additional magnet to be placed on the tele phone receiver. In order to place
the PhoneNow magnet properly:
1. Clean the telephone receiver thoroughly.
2. Hold the telephone vertically, in a position similar to when making a
3. Place the magnet just below the telephone receiver. If necessary,
move the magnet to another position to improve ease of use and
comfort while speaking.
4. If you are not satisfied with the strength of Auto Phone, you can reposition the Auto Phone
magnet or add additional Auto Phone magnets
Tip: Use only recommended cleaning agent to clean the telephone prior to placing the
magnet on the phone in order to obtain best possible adherence.