Hardware Maintenance Manual
By using the Setup Utility program, you can set passwords to prevent
unauthorized persons from gaining access to your computer and data.
See "Starting the Setup Utility program. " The following types of passwords
• Administrator Password
• Power-On Password
You do not have to set any passwords to use your computer. However, if
you decide to set any passwords, read the following sections.
A password can be any combination of up to 64 characters (a-z , 0-9 and ; )
and symbols. For security reasons, it is a good idea to use a strong password
that cannot be easily compromised. We suggest the passwords should
adhere to the following rules:
• Must have at least seven characters in length
• Contain at least one alphabetic character and one numeric character
• Setup Utility program and hard disk drive passwords are not case
• Not be your name or your user name
• Not be a common word or a common name
• Be significantly different from your previous password
When a Administrator Password is set, it deters unauthorized persons from
changing configuration settings. If you are responsible for maintaining
the settings of several computers, you might want to set a Administrator
After you set a Administrator Password, a password prompt is displayed
each time you try to access the Setup Utility program.
If both the Administrator and Power-On Password are set, you can type
either password. However, to change any configuration settings, you must
use your Administrator password.