Store unused batteries in their packaging
and away from metal objects which may
cause a short-circuit resulting in leakage or,
in extreme cases, fire or even an explosion.
Never attempt to recharge ordinary
batteries, either in a charger or by applying
heat to them. They may leak, cause fire or
even explode. There are special
rechargeable batteries which are clearly
marked as such.
Keep loose button cells away from young
Used correctly, domestic batteries are a safe and dependable source of
portable power. Problems can occur if they are misused or abused —
resulting in leakage or, in extreme cases, fire or explosion.
Here are some simple guidelines to safe battery use designed to eliminate
any such problems.
Take care to fit your batteries correctly,
observing the plus and minus marks on the
battery and appliance. Incorrect fitting can
cause leakage or, in extreme cases, fire or
even an explosion.
Remove dead batteries from equipment and
all batteries from equipment you know you
are not going to use for a long time.
Otherwise the batteries may leak and cause
Supervise children if they are replacing
batteries themselves in order to ensure
these guidelines are followed.
Make sure battery compartments are
Replace the whole set of batteries at one
time, taking care not to mix old and new
batteries or batteries of different types, since
this can result in leakage or, in extreme
cases, fire or even an explosion.
Never dispose of batteries in fire as this can
cause them to explode. Please recycle
dead batteries; do not put with the
normal household waste.
Remember that small button cell batteries
such as used in some hearing aids, toys,
games and other appliances, are easily
swallowed by young children and this can be
Seek medical advice if you believe a cell has