L’expresso & Filtre Program Automatic Instructions for use...
Thank you for buying a Magimix Espresso & Filter coffee maker. This appliance has been designed to enable you to experience of genuine espresso and filter coffee. Please read these instructions carefully before using your appliance and keep them in a safe place.
CONTENTS Pages Description Before you use your appliance for the first time • Installation • Setting the water hardness level Using the Espresso Coffee part - How to brew expresso coffee ? • Preparing your coffee maker • Switching it on •...
DESCRIPTION Espresso Control panel with compartment lid indicator lights Cup warming plate Filter coffee Function selector Filter coffee compartment Filter holder Hot water- Heater tray /steam pipe Filter holder Coffee leveller Water level indicator Extractor head Drip tray with Filter removable grid locking device Filter...
Control panel Filter part Espresso part Water volume adjuster On/off button Espresso coffee Hot water Filter coffee control and descaling button Steam button Descaling indicator Espresso on/off button Important: The filter coffee part operates independently of the espresso part. All the filter coffee functions are controlled by the button .
BEFORE YOU USE YOUR APPLIANCE FOR THE FIRST TIME Every single Magimix appliance is tested before it leaves the factory, which is why you may find traces of water when you unpack your coffee maker. Before you use it for the first time, or if the machine has been left idle for a long period, rinse out the water circuit to eliminate any residual water in the system.
• Place a fairly wide container under the pipe, press and turn the selector function to . Allow the equivalent of a bowlful of water to flow through. To halt the flow, turn the function selector back to • Insert the empty filter holder (filter locking device at the back) in the extractor head, opposite the arrow, and turn it towards the right.
• Dip it for one sec. in cold water, shake off any excess water and compare the result with the table below. How to gauge the hardness of your water Test result your water is…. Very soft Soft Average hardness Hard Very hard 2 - Adjust the hardness setting on your appliance.
• Choose the filter according to the type of espresso coffee you wish to brew. • Place the filter you have chosen in the filter holder. - 1 cup ground coffee or coffee pod = small filter. - 2 cups ground coffee = large filter. •...
Switching it on • Check that the function selector has been turned to and that the machine is ready ( indicator lights on and no longer flashing). NB : During the brewing process, the pump will make a characteristic noise. This is nothing to worry about. •...
• Rinse the filter holder under running water. Put the filter holder back in the extractor head in order to brew your next cup of coffee at the optimum temperature. NB : When the appliance is switched on, it is quite normal for the indicator to go on and off from time to time (temperature control).
If you leave the appliance idle for 6 minutes, it will automatically return to the coffee-brewing temperature. NB : If you wish to brew espresso coffee immediately afterwards, press in order to return to the right temperature more quickly. The indicator light will continue to flash until the temperature has dropped sufficiently to brew good espresso coffee.
• The drip tray and grid: once a week, clean with a mild detergent. • The filter holder and the filters: always rinse them quickly under the tap after use. From time to time, clean them with a mild detergent. Do not soak the filter holder and the filters in a descaling pro- duct, as this may damage them.
When do I need to descale ? Your appliance will automatically tell you when it needs to be descaled: the indicator will come on. How long does it take ? Approx. 30 minutes. Your appliance has an automatic descaling programme which makes the How do I do it ? whole process simple and efficient.
USING THE FILTER COFFEE PART How to brew filter coffee ? • Fill the jug with freshly-drawn water according to the number of cups you wish to brew. - marks on the left-hand side: large cups (approx. 140 ml) - marks on the right-hand side: small cups (approx. 110 ml) NB : The quantity of coffee that is brewed will be slightly smaller, due to evaporation and absorption of water by the ground coffee.
Aftercare Cleaning • The body of the coffee maker: from time to time, wipe the outside of the machine with a damp cloth. • The filter holder: when cleaning this, check that the anti-drip seal is clean. Do not lose this seal, as the anti-drip system will not work without it. •...
TROUBLESHOOTING 1 - Espresso Problems Solutions • Turn the selector back to are flashing and none of the functions work • Descale your appliance (see pp.13-14). is flashing • Your ground coffee may be stale or too acidic. Your espresso has an Try a new batch.
• Rinse your appliance 2 or 3 times. If you cannot identify the cause of your problem, consult your retailer or contact our customer care department, which will give you the address of a Magimix-approved after-sales service. You must never attempt to dismantle your appliance.
RECIPES Different types of espresso coffee The Espresso Brewing a perfect espresso is quite an art, but also a real pleasure for all the senses. Its colour, midway between russet and hazelnut, is extremely appetizing, while its creamy, golden top invites us to plunge our lips into the heart of the coffee and revel in its full flavour and richness.
The Cappuccino The famous drink associating espresso coffee with frothy milk. Serves 2 • 2 cups hot, strong espresso coffee • 15-25 cl cold whole milk • Cocoa powder Brew 2 cups of espresso in two cappuccino cups (10-15 cl.). Froth the milk using the pipe (see p.11), then gently pour 2 table spoonfuls of frothy milk on top of the coffee.
Mulled coffee Serves 4 • 50 cl strong coffee • 50 cl apple juice • 2 tbsp demerara sugar • 3 finely-sliced oranges • 2 small cinnamon sticks • Pinch of mixed spice • 1 clove Bring all the ingredients to a boil over a moderate heat, turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
Never use the appliance if the power cord has been damaged. In order to avoid all risk of danger, any damaged cord must be replaced either by the manufacturer, by a Magimix-approved after-sales service or by a similarly qualified person.