If the input rating of a battery charger is given in watts
rather than in amperes, the corresponding ampere
rating is to be determined by dividing the wattage
rating by the voltage rating–for example:
9. Do not operate battery charger with damaged cord or
plug-replace them immediately.
10. Do not operate battery charger if it has received a
sharp blow, been dropped, or otherwise damaged in
any way; take it to a qualiﬁ ed serviceman.
11. Do not disassemble battery charger; take it to a
qualiﬁ ed serviceman when service or repair is
required. Incorrect reassembly may result in a risk of
electric shock or ﬁ re.
12. To reduce risk of electric shock, unplug charger from
receptacle before attempting any maintenance or
cleaning. Removing the battery will not reduce this
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
FOR USE OF THE BATTERY AND
You must charge the battery before you can use the power
tool. Before using the model UC18YKSL battery charger,
be sure to read all instructions and cautionary statements
on it, the battery and in this manual.
REMEMBER: USE ONLY HITACHI BATTERY TYPES
BSL14 AND BSL18 SERIES. OTHER TYPES OF
BATTERIES MAY BURST AND CAUSE INJURY!
Follow these instructions to avoid the risk of injury:
1. NEVER disassemble the battery.
2. NEVER incinerate the battery, even if it is damaged or
is completely worn out. The battery can explode in a
3. NEVER short-circuit the battery.
4. NEVER insert any objects into the battery charger's
air vents. Electric shock or damage to the battery
charger may result.
5. NEVER charge outdoors. Keep the battery away
from direct sunlight and use only where there is low
humidity and good ventilation.
6. NEVER charge when the temperature is below 32°F
(0°C) or above 104°F (40°C).
7. NEVER connect two battery chargers together.
8. NEVER insert foreign objects into the hole for the
battery or the battery charger.
= 10 amperes
Improper use of the battery
or battery charger can lead to
serious injury. To avoid these
9. NEVER use a booster transformer when charging.
10. NEVER use an engine generator or DC power to
11. NEVER store the battery or battery charger in places
where the temperature may reach or exceed 104°F
12. ALWAYS operate charger on standard household
electrical power (120 volts). Using the charger on any
other voltage may overheat and damage the charger.
13. ALWAYS wait at least 15 minutes between charges to
avoid overheating the charger.
14. ALWAYS disconnect the power cord from its
receptacle when the charger is not in use.
CAUTION ON LITHIUM-ION BATTERY
To extend the lifetime, the lithium-ion battery equips with
the protection function to stop the output.
In the cases of 1 to 3 described below, when using this
product, even if you are pulling the switch, the motor may
stop. This is not the trouble but the result of protection
1. When the battery power remaining runs out, the motor
In such case, charge it up immediately.
2. If the tool is overloaded, the motor may stop. In this
case, release the switch of tool and eliminate causes
of overloading. After that, you can use it again.
3. If the battery is overheated under overload work, the
battery power may stop.
In this case, stop using the battery and let the battery
cool. After that, you can use it again.
Furthermore, please heed the following warning and
In order to prevent any battery leakage, heat generation,
smoke emission, explosion and ignition beforehand,
please be sure to heed the following precautions.
1. Make sure that swarf and dust do not collect on the
○ During work make sure that swarf and dust do not fall
on the battery.
○ Make sure that any swarf and dust falling on the power
tool during work do not collect on the battery.
○ Do not store an unused battery in a location exposed
to swarf and dust.
○ Before storing a battery, remove any swarf and dust
that may adhere to it and do not store it together with
metal parts (screws, nails, etc.).
2. Do not pierce battery with a sharp object such as a
nail, strike with a hammer, step on, throw or subject
the battery to severe physical shock.
3. Do not use an apparently damaged or deformed
4. Do not use the battery in reverse polarity.