C950-60929-0 (21HP Briggs & Stratton with 42" Mower)
C950-60928-0 (26HP Briggs & Stratton with 52" Mower)
■ Operator's Manual
Make sure you have all items
For Assembly You Will Need:
• Utility knife
• Pry Bar
• Tin Snips or Banding Cutter
• Unleaded Fuel
• 6-10 amp Battery Charger
• Tire Pressure Gauge
© Sears Brands, LLC.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information in this document is accurate and current.
However, we reserve the right to change, alter or otherwise improve the product and this document
at any time without prior notice.
Rev. Date 4/2009
Rotating blades cut off arms and legs.
• Stop the mower when children or others are near.
• Do not carry riders (especially children) even with the
blades off. They may fall off or return for another ride
when you are not expecting it.
• Look down and behind before and while backing.
Gasoline is flammable. Yard debris is combustible.
• Allow engine to cool for at least 3 minutes before refueling.
• Keep unit cleaned of debris.
Avoid serious injury or death:
• Be sure blade(s) and engine are stopped
• Know the location and function of all controls.
before placing hands or feet near blade(s).
• Keep safety devices (guards, shields, switches, etc.) in place and working.
• When leaving machine, shut off, remove key,
and set parking brake.
• Remove objects that could be thrown by the blade.
Remove the Packaging Materials
Zero-Turn Rear Engine Riders with Electric Start
C950-60929-0 (21HP Briggs & Stratton Engine with 42" Mower)
Remove the cardboard from the crate. Remove any steel banding securing the
unit to the crate. Locate the manual packet.
For answers to your questions about this
CAUTION: Before using this product, read
the manual and follow all its Safety Rules and
Sears Craftsman Help Line
5 am - 5 pm, Mon - Sat
Read the Operator's Manual
Sears Canada Inc., Toronto, Ontario M5B 2C3
Visit our Craftsman website: www.sears.ca/craftsman
Locate the operator's manual in the manual packet. You should always read
Rev. Date 04/2009
and follow the instructions in the operator's manual. Proper care, performance
tips, and safety information are located in this important document.
Installing the Seat
1. Raise the seat base (A, Figure 1).
2. Align the holes (B, Figure 2) in the seat bottom with the
holes (C) in the seat base.
3. Secure the seat to the seat base with two 5/16-18 x 3/4 (D)
serrated head bolts for the rear seat slots, and
two 5/16-18 x 3/4 (E) shoulder bolts for the front slots.
4. Tighten to 14-19 ft-lbs (19-25 Nm).
Installing the Seat Safety Switch
1. Insert the switch (F, Figure 3) into the slot (G) in the seat bot-
tom. Push down past tabs (H) and slide up. Pull switch out to
lock into place (see Figure 4).
2. Insert the harness terminal housing (I, Figure 5) to the seat
switch. Allow tab on harness terminal housing to lock into place
on switch (see Figure 6).
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
Call Customer Service Toll-Free
Operating on slopes can cause loss of control and roll-overs.
• If you cannot back-up a hill, do not drive on it.
• If machine stops while going uphill, turn the blades off and
back down slowly.
• Avoid sudden turns.
• Go up and down slopes, not across.
Carbon monoxide hazard
The engine emits poisonous carbon monoxide gas.
• Avoid inhaling exhaust fumes.
• Only operate outdoors.
• Read the operator's manual
before using this product.
CHECK RIDER SAFETY SYSTEM in Operator's Manual.
Do not return to store. We can help.
Setting Up the Ground Speed Control Levers
1. Loosen (do not remove) the hardware (J, Figure 7) securing the ground speed
control levers to the lever bases.
2. Raise the levers, aligning the upper hole in each lever with the upper slotted
hole in the lever base.
3. Install the hardware (K) as shown in Figure 8. Tighten to 15-17 ft-lbs (20-23
NOTE: Ground speed control levers must be adjusted prior to use. Refer to the
"Ground Speed Control Lever Adjustment" section in the Operator's manual.
Check the Tire Pressure
Reduce the tire pressures to the pressures as shown below. Tires are over-inflated for
shipping purposes and must be set to the correct pressures for optimum traction.
Rear Tire Pressure: 10-12 PSI
Check Engine Oil Level
Note: Engine is shipped with oil. Add 10W-30 premium engine oil if oil level is low.
See Operator's Manual for complete engine oil specifications and maintenance
1. Lift the seat deck (L, Figure 9) to access the engine compartment.
2. Clean the area around the dipstick/oil fill tube (M, Figure 10). Remove the
dipstick and wipe with a clean rag.
3. Insert the dipstick into the oil fill tube (thread in or push down completely).
4. Remove and check the engine oil level. Oil level should be between Full and
add oil if necessary.
5. Replace and fully secure the dipstick.
Oil Capacity 21HP Briggs & Stratton: 48 ounces (1.42L) with oil filter
Oil Capacity 26HP Briggs & Stratton: 64 ounces (1.90L) with oil filter
Lift the seat deck (Figure 9) to access the battery. If the unit is being put into
service after the month and year indicated on the battery date tag (located on top
of battery) charge the battery before use. Refer to the SERVICE & ADJUSTMENTS
section of this manual for battery charging information.
Fill-Up with FRESH Gasoline
Use only unleaded gasoline with a minimum of 87 Octane.
1. Remove the fuel tank cap and fill the tank with fresh fuel (Figure 10). After
fueling, securely install the cap and wipe up any fuel that may have spilled.
See the Operator's Manual for complete fuel recommendations.
Note: The single most common service issue is stale or contaminated fuel! Fuel
should not be more than 30 days old. Use fuel stabilizer to extend the freshness of
your fuel, and always store fuel in an approved container. Stale fuel clean-out is not
covered under your warranty.
Fuel Tank Capacity: 4 Gallons (15,14 L)
Drive the Unit Off Crate
1. Refer to the STARTING THE ENGINE SECTION of the manual for proper
2. Use the mower cutting height switch to raise the mower deck to its highest cutting height.
3. Pull the ground speed control levers in to DRIVE positions and slowly move them forward to drive the unit off the crate.
When you are off the crate, return the ground speed control levers to their START/PARK positions.
Towing the unit will cause transmission damage. Do Not use anther vehicle to push or pull this unit. Do Not
use this unit to push or pull another vehicle or object.
Read Manuals Before Starting Engine
Follow procedures and safety instructions in Operator's manual.
Front Tire Pressure: 18-20 PSI