3. Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting
3.1 Cleaning the boiler
Rinsing out the boiler
• To clean the boiler, we recommend that you fill it
with water and shake it vigorously. This should
loosen any scale that has settled at the bottom
of the boiler. If you now pour the water out of the
boiler, the scale will be flushed out at the same
time (see ill.).
• For soft water (up to 1.8 mmol/L) the boiler should
be flushed out after it has been refilled 15 times,
for harder water after every fifth time.
Descaling the boiler
We recommend that you descale the appliance as
soon as the "Descaling due" indicator light
• In order to remove any scale that has built up on
the walls of the boiler, we recommend that you
clean the boiler with KÄRCHER Biological
Decalcifying Liquid RM 511. KÄRCHER Biological
Decalcifying Liquid RM 511 is based on citric acid
and is therefore entirely biodegradable.
• In order to avoid damaging your steam cleaner,
use only products for descaling that have been
officially approved by KÄRCHER.
• Unplug the steam cleaner from the mains
• Empty the boiler entirely of any remaining water.
• Dissolve the contents of two bags in 2 litre of
warm water while continuously stirring the liquid
at the same time.
• Pour the solution into the boiler, and allow to
stand for approx. 8 hours.
The safety cap must not be attached
to the boiler while descaling is being
carried out. Make sure that the cleaner
can not be used while there is any
descaling solution left in the boiler.
• Pour the contents of the boiler out at the side
(see ill.), and rinse out the boiler at least twice
with cold water to ensure that no descaling
solution or deposits are left inside.
• Switch on the cleaner.
• Press the reset button until the "Descaling due"
• Your steam cleaner is now ready for use again.
After approx. 50 operating hours, the "Descaling
due" light will illuminate to show that it is time to
descale the appliance once more.
Note: If you use distilled water exclusively, it will
not be necessary to descale the cleaner.
When the "Descaling due" indicator light illumina-
tes, just press the reset button until the light goes
• When using polluted water the filter can become
blocked. This makes itself apparent either by
extraordinarily long running times of the pump or
a total functional failure. In this case the filter
should be replaced.
3.2 What to do if there is a problem
• If the low-water warning lamp lights up because
the unit has been stood upright although it still
operating, follow the procedure described in the
section "Refilling the boiler with water".
• If you encounter any other problems with the
cleaner, you should contact your local authorised
customer service agent.