AP-5181 Access Point DEPLOYMENT GUIDE...
• Software type and version number Motorola Solutions responds to calls by email or telephone within the time limits set forth in support agreements. If you purchased your Enterprise Mobility business product from a Motorola business partner, contact that business partner for support.
Introduction This guide provides detailed hardware setup and deployment instructions for the AP-5181 model access point. The AP-5181 model access point is primarily designed for outdoor deployments, thus it has a unique set of installation instructions. Please review all the material within this document before installing the AP-5181 model access point. The purpose of this guide is to assist you in understanding the correct use and placement of the components within the AP-5181 accessory kits.
AP5181 Access Point 2. Install the AP-5181 tilt bracket onto the AP-5181’s bracket installed in step 1. Use one long binder head screw and hex nut from the kit. This will define the pivot about which the AP-5181 can be tilted. Do not over tighten the nut.
Deployment Guide 4. If sliding to a small pole diameter, up to 2 ½ inches in diameter, place the pole clamps into the slots of the bracket assembled in step 3. The pole clamps can be installed into inner or outer slots to adjust for pole diameters of various sizes. 5.
Install one split washer and one wing nut onto each long screw. Lightly tighten the wing nut, washer and screw. Point the tilt bracket in the direction the AP-5181 is to be mounted, and tighten the wing nut, washer and screw...
2. Install the mounting bracket onto the tilt bracket installed in step 1. Use one long binder head screw and hex nut from the kit. This will provide the pivot about which the AP-5181 can be tilted. Do not over tighten the nut.
The image displayed above has the heavy weather accessory kit installed. Whether the unit is installed with the heavy weather kit, or without it, it will be important to connect the AP-5181 to an appropriate earth ground using the earth-ground boss on the back of the unit. NOTE It is necessary to use the band clamp adapter when installing an AP-5181 on a larger diameter pole (up to 18 inches).
7. Install the AP-5181’s mounting bracket onto the tilt bracket. Use one long binder head screw and hex nut from the kit. This will provide the pivot about which the AP-5181 can be tilted. Do not over tighten the nut.
8. Install 4 short binder head screws in the 4 slots (2 each on left and right sides of the tilt bracket). Set the angle of the AP-5181 up or down as required for the installation. The 4 short binder head screws, and the...
1. Install 4 antenna extension cables (provided in the kit) to the AP-5181. Hand tighten. 2. Route the antenna extension cables through the cable guides on the rear of the access point. The cables cross from left to right to maximize the bend radius.
This is a good time to add the required grounding lug or cable (not included). 3. Install the heavy weather shield. Align the 4 screw holes with the 4 mating screw bosses on the AP-5181.
Deployment Guide 4. Install the mounting bracket to the AP-5181’s rear housing using 4 short length binder head screws from kit. 5. The heavy weather shield is clamped between the bracket and the housing. Tighten securely. 6. Turn the unit over. On the face of the unit, remove and discard the 4 screws located in the cover of the...
AP5181 Access Point 7. Install 4 hex stand-off screws into the screw holes created with the removal of the screws in step 5. Tighten securely. 8. Install the heavy weather shield.
9. Align the 4 screw holes with the 4 mating screw bosses on the AP-5181 cover. 10. Install the AP-5181 mounting bracket to AP-5181 cover using 4 short length binder head screws from the kit. The front and rear shields are intentionally staggered to ensure adequate ventilation.
11. The heavy weather protected AP-5181 is now ready for installation. Power Tap Installation The installation of the AP-5181 Power Tap (Part No. AP-PSBIAS-5181-01R) requires the services of licensed and trained electricians. The end user is solely responsible to ensure the unit is installed and maintained by properly certified personnel.
• Installation and maintenance of this product in compliance with specific or regional electrical codes and regulations is the sole responsibility of the end user. To install an AP-5181 Power Tap: 1. Remove and retain the 10 screws used to secure the Power Tap cover.
AP5181 Access Point 4. Remove and retain the nut with a captive locking washer. This nut releases a solder-less ring terminal. 5. Loosen the gland nut on the power entry fitting. 6. Expose 6 inches of wire from the jacket. Only use wire suited for your specific installation requirements and application.
Deployment Guide 8. Using the solder-less ring terminals, strip and terminate the individual wires. 9. Expose only sufficient copper (using a solder-less terminal crimping tool) to ensure a good electrical connection. No exposed copper strands should be visible outside the terminal insulator. 10.
AP5181 Access Point 11. Firmly tighten screws and nut. 12. Adjust the cable jacket by sliding into and out of the gland until about 1 inch remains visible inside the housing. 13. Tighten the gland nut by hand to firmly hold the cable jacket. Examine all wires to ensure there is no crimping pulling of wires or terminations.
Deployment Guide 14. Ensure no loose hardware is inside the housing. Check the wiring to be sure it is clear of the cover. Carefully replace the cover. Only the correct cover orientation (as displayed below) allows all screws to be properly installed. 15.
AP5181 Access Point 18. Seal un-used connectors to ensure the product’s IP56 rating. 19. Locate a port cover within the AP-PSBIAS-5181-01R product package. Install the cover on the unused LAN or WAN port and hand tighten (do not use tools).
20. The Power-Tap can be installed using the standard AP-5181 mounting kit. The Power Tap can be installed using the integrated mounting holes. The 2 holes are provided at the top and bottom of the unit.
Cable Connectors and Unused Connector Protection The following are the various components found in the connector kit supplied with the AP-5181. If a different connector is used (or the connector is replaced), the replacement must be IP56 certified to retain product sealing.
2. Loosely assemble the gland nut onto the gland housing. Do not tighten until the connector is fully assembled and installed into the desired AP-5181 connection port. This creates the gland assembly. 3. Install the ring seal onto the end of the flange barrel. A small amount of grease on the surfaces will hold...
AP5181 Access Point As an option (not displayed above), the ring seal can be inserted into the receiving threaded hole of the gland housing. The receiving threaded hole is in the hexagonal section of the gland housing stamped LTW (see the illustration under step 2). Ensure the ring seal is seated at the bottom of the threaded hole 4.
8. Depress the modular connector latch spring against the body of the connector to fit the connector into the pocket. 9. Insert the connector into the LAN or WAN port of the AP-5181. The connector will only plug into the port if the connector is properly orientated. Using only finger pressure, no tools.
Un-used connectors need to be sealed to ensure the product’s IP56 rating. 11. Locate 2 port covers, and 3 antenna connection covers within the AP-5181-13040-WWR product package. 12. Install these covers on any un-used ports and hand tighten (use no tools).
13. Note the earth ground boss on the back of the unit. This point must be properly grounded to earth to utilize the AP-5181’s safety features. Add the required grounding lug or cable (not included with the AP-5181) at this time.
AP5181 Access Point Please review this information in this section before installing an AP-5181. These instructions will assist you in understanding the correct use and placement of all the various parts contained within the Accessory Kits. Proper installation is critical to the safety of the installation, installer and others in the area of the products use.
The AP-PSBIAS-5181-C-R is the only power supply certified for use with the AP-5181-1304C-WR. The use of any other supply is not approved and may expose the installation to significant damage risk, personal injury or death.
AP5181 Access Point Two brass wiring glands are included with the AP-PSBIAS-5181-C-R. Instructions display below for a single gland installation, but both glands are installed in the same manner. The installer shall disassemble the glands and retain any loose components within the gland. The top portion of the gland is installed into the AP-PSBIAS-5181-C-R threaded boss and tightened to 8-10ft-lbs.
Class 1/Division 2 Data Wiring Guide Please review this information in this section before installing an AP-5181. These instructions will assist you in understanding the correct use and placement of all the various parts contained within the Accessory Kits. Proper installation is critical to the safety of the installation, installer and others in the area of the products use.
AP5181 Access Point The AP-5181-1304C-WR has two cables extending from sealed wiring glands. A black plastic console port cover protects the console port during product configuration. • Do not loosen or remove the wiring glands, these are factory sealed to ensure a gas tight interface to the product.
Deployment Guide Strip away a length of the yellow cable jacket and cable braid to expose 4 internally shielded cable pairs. The wire pairs are intended to be used with a site suitable punch-down block, and spliced to the infrastructure data cables. Wiring color codes and pairing are compatible with Ethernet Standard T568A, as noted in the following: •...
AP5181 Access Point...
AP5181 Access Point...
Schaumburg, IL 60196-1078, U.S.A. http://www.motorolasolutions.com MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.