Before u sing t hebrushcutter add-on, some adjustments
must b e
made tothetrimmer. Such as:
• Remove thecurrent assist handle
Install thesupplied 2 4"J-handle
Install theshoulder strap clip(ifnecessary)
The trimmer may be configured with one of several types of assist
handles. The current assist handle must be removed and the 24" J-
handle, which is included, must be installed in order to use this add-
Follow the instructions
outlined in the trimmer's operator's
in order to remove the current handle and its clamps, screws, nuts,
bolts or other hardware.
The trimmer may be equipped with a small J-handle. This
small handle is NOT an acceptable substitute for the larger J-
handle that is included with the 316.792440.
Remove the smaller
J-handle so the larger, 24-inch handle may be installed.
THE 24" J=HANDLE
1. Remove the screws, nuts, clamp pieces that were installed on
the J-handle for shipping.
2. Hold the bottom clamp to the underside of the shaft housing,
about 7-8" from the shaft grip (Fig. 1).
3. Place the J-handle between the top and middle clamp pieces
4. While holding the three pieces together, install the four (4)
screws through the top clamp and into middle clamp.
NOTE: The holes in the top and middle clamp will line up only when
5. Place the clamps and J-handle the over the shaft housing and
onto the bottom clamp.
6. Hold each hex nut in the bottom clamp recess with a finger.
Start screws with a large Phillips screwdriver. Do not tighten until
making the handle adjustment.
7. Loosen the screws so that the J-handle can be easily moved in
the clamp assembly. Do not remove the screws or nuts.
8. Slide the J-handle in or out until the arrow/white
line on the
decal touches the clamp assembly (Fig. 2).
9. While holding the unit in the operating position (Fig. 11), move
the J-handle to the location that provides the best grip.
10. Tighten the clamp screws evenly, until the J-handle is secure.
Once the new J-handle is installed, there is no need to
change back to the original handle.