Installing t heBlade
1. Put t heblade ontheoutput s haft b ushing (Fig. 1 5). M ake sure
theblade iscentered onthepilotstep (Fig. 1 6). Theblade
should sitflatagainst theoutput s haft b ushing.
If the blade is off-center, the unit will vibrate
and the blade may fly off, possibly causing serious
2. Align the shaft bushing hole with the locking rod slot (Fig. 13).
Insert the locking rod into the locking rod slot and shaft bushing
hole (Fig. 13).
3. Hold the locking rod firmly against the shaft housing (Fig. 14).
4. While holding the locking rod in place, put the blade retainer and
nut on the output shaft (Fig. 16).
5. While holding the locking rod in place, tighten the nut by turning
• If you are using a torque wrench and an 5/8 inch socket,
tighten the nut to: 325 - 335 inolb, 27 - 28 ft._lb, 37 - 38 N_rn.
Without a torque wrench, use a 5/8 inch closed-end
wrench. Turn the nut until the blade retainer is snug against
the shaft bushing. Make sure the blade is installed correctly,
then rotate the nut an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn
6. Remove the locking rod.
To avoid serious personal injury or damage
to the unit, do not start or operate the unit with the locking
rod inserted into the locking rod slot.
1/4 - 1/2 Turn
MAINTAINING THE AIR FILTER
To avoid serious personal injury, always stop
the engine and allow it to cool before cleaning or maintaining
Failure to maintain the air filter can result in poor performance or can
cause permanent damage to the engine. Engine failure due to
improper air filter maintenance is not covered by the product warranty.
the Air Filter
1. Open the air filter cover by unscrewing the cover screw (Fig. 18).
2. Remove the air filter from inside the air filter housing (Fig. 18).
3. Wash the air filter in detergent and water. Rinse the air filter
and allow it to dry.
4. Lightly coat the air filter with clean SAE 30 oil.
5. Squeeze the air filter to spread and remove excess oil.
6. Reinstall the air filter inside the air filter housing (Fig. 19).
NOTE: Operating the unit without the air filter and air filter cover will
VOiD the warranty.
7. insert the hooks on the air filter housing into the slots on the air
filter cover (Fig. 19).
8. Swing the air filter cover to the right and align the cover screw
with the cover screw hole (Fig. 19). Tighten the cover screw to
secure the air filter cover.
NOTE: Do not over tighten as this may strip the screw.
Air Filter Cover