Summary of Contents for Honeywell ScanPal EDA61K Series
ScanPal EDA61K Series Mobile Computer powered by Android™ User Guide...
Disclaimer Honeywell International Inc. (“HII”) reserves the right to make changes in specifications and other information contained in this document without prior notice, and the reader should in all cases consult HII to determine whether any such changes have been made. The information in this publication does not represent a commitment on the part of HII.
Accessories for the Computer ....................20 Chapter 2 - About the User Interface and Applications......21 About the User Interface ......................21 About Honeywell Applications ....................27 Applications You Can Download to the Mobile Computer.......... 28 Unlock Developer Options....................... 29 Chapter 3 - Use the Image Engine ..............
Change the Scanner Settings....................32 About ScanHandle Settings ....................38 About the Optional Digital Scan Button ................38 Scan Barcodes ..........................39 Use the Scan Demo App......................40 Chapter 4 - Use the Phone ................43 About the Phone...........................43 Make a Phone Call........................45 Answer the Phone........................46 Make an Emergency Phone Call....................46 Configure Phone Settings......................46 Chapter 5 - Use the Camera................
Chapter 7 - Manage and Maintain the Computer ........71 About Software Updates ......................71 Install Software with AutoInstall ....................72 About the Honeywell Upgrader ....................73 Reboot (Restart) the Computer ....................75 About Erase All Data (Factory Reset) ...................75 Clean the Computer ........................76 Appendix A - Specifications ................77 Computer Agency Information ....................77...
For our latest contact information, see www.honeywellaidc.com/locations. Product Service and Repair Honeywell International Inc. provides service for all of its products through service centers throughout the world. To find your service center, go to www.honeywellaidc.com and select Support.
CHAPTER ABOUT THE COMPUTER FEATURES This chapter introduces the EDA61K Mobile Computer. Use this chapter to learn about the basic computer features, functions, and accessories. About the EDA61K Mobile Computer EDA61K mobile computers, built on the Mobility Edge™ platform, deliver real-time connectivity, advanced data capture, and future-proof investment protection.
• Alphanumeric and function keypad • Numeric and function keypad Choice of Honeywell high performance 2D imager with ergonomic Scan buttons WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac radio; Wi-Fi certified Bluetooth™ V4.2 and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology support Wireless WWAN radio for high speed data and quality voice support across all network technologies Integrated GPS receiver;...
Features of the EDA61K Scan Indicator Scan Engine Power Indicator Touch Panel Scan Button Return Key Keyboard (model dependent) Power Button Microphone ScanPal EDA61K Mobile Computer...
Laser Safety Label Location Camera Lens and Flash (model dependent) Hand Strap (optional) Speaker Scan Button Battery Battery Latch and Button Charging Contact Micro SIM and MicroSD Card Door (battery removed) USB Port * Phone feature is available only on EDA61K-1 models. ScanPal EDA61K Mobile Computer...
EDA61K computers are designed for use with battery model CK65-BTSC manufactured for Honeywell International Inc. CK3 battery models AB17, AB18, and 1001AB01 may be used with the EDA61K. See the CK3 User Guide for more information.
Replace the Battery Caution: Improper battery replacement or incompatible device usage may result in risk of burns, fire, explosion, or other hazard. Dispose of lithium-ion batteries according to local regulations. Risk of fire and burns if improperly handled. Do not open, crush, heat above 60°C (140°F), or incinerate.
5. Push the battery latch toward the battery to release the lock. 6. Lift up the edge of the battery and remove it from the computer. Install the computer 1. Insert the charged battery into the computer. 2. Press down on the bottom edge of the battery to engage the lock. 3.
The battery charge is low. You need to charge or replace the battery soon. The computer is connected to external power and the battery is charging. There is a battery error. Install another battery. If the problem persists, contact Honeywell Technical Support.
(blinking green) is not acceptable to your environment. You can choose one of three options: Default Battery LED (optional Android OS configuration) • • Honeywell Battery LED (factory default, out-of-box configuration) • No Battery LED Honeywell Battery LED Behavior (Factory Default/Out-of-Box Configuration) Connected to Power...
To change the battery status LED behavior: 1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Tap Settings > Honeywell Settings > Battery LED. 3. Choose one of the options: • Default Battery LED (optional Android OS configuration) Honeywell Battery LED (factory default/out-of-box configuration) •...
• Avoid dropping the battery or computer. If you suspect that the battery or computer is damaged, send it to a Honeywell service center for inspection. • Discarded batteries may create a safety hazard. Before disposal, cover the battery contacts with electrical insulating tape.
Enable Airplane Mode If you do not need to connect to any wireless networks, you can enable Airplane mode to turn Off the radios and save battery power. 1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2.
The level of security provided depends on the type of lock set (e.g., Swipe, Pattern, PIN, or Password). The default setting, Swipe, provides no protection against unauthorized access to your computer. Change the Screen Lock to Protect the Computer After you start using the computer, you should change the screen lock to prevent unauthorized persons from accessing the computer after the screen lock activates, unless they input the correct password, pin, or pattern.
About the Good Read LED The Scan Status LED indicates the read status of the imager when scanning a barcode. When active, the LED illuminates the outer ring of the front speaker. To learn more about how to use and configure the imager engine for scanning, see Use the Image Engine beginning on page 31.
About the Color-Coded Keys Use the keypad color-coded modifier key(s) to access all the characters, numbers, symbols and functions marked on the computer keys and keypad overlay. Note: On keypad, you can lock the modifier key On and type only symbols or special characters by pressing the blue or yellow modifier key twice in rapid succession.
4. Press again to turn caps lock Off. Caps Example: Press and then to type the word AND in all caps. Caps Enter Characters on the Keypad The computer keypad includes blue and yellow modifier keys for typing alphabetic characters and special characters as well as accessing functions. The keypad also has customizable Function keys (F1 to F8) that can provide up to 8 additional key functions.
Example: Press then , twice to type the word “TEA”. Alternately, to type a single uppercase alphabetic character with the modifier key locked on: 1. Press the blue modifier key once. 2. Press 3. Press the upper case character keys. 4.
Insert a microSD Card You can use a microSD card to increase file storage capacity or to install software. Honeywell recommends the use of Single Level Cell (SLC) industrial grade microSD or microSDHC memory cards with the computer for maximum performance and durability.
4. Insert the microSD card into the card holder with the contacts facing out. 5. Close the holder with the card inserted. Press down gently on the card holder and slide it into the locked position. 6. Close the card access door. 7.
Configure USB Connection and Transfer Files Note: The EDA61K supports Hi-Speed USB communications (USB 3.0) with a maximum data transfer rate of 4800 Mbps. 1. Connect the EDA61K to your workstation. 2. On the EDA61K, swipe down from the top of the screen to see the notifications. 3.
ABOUT THE USER INTERFACE AND APPLICATIONS Use this chapter to learn about the user interface and how to interact with the screen. You can also use this chapter to learn about the Honeywell applications on the computer. About the User Interface The Android operating system provides a touch-friendly and easy-to-navigate user interface.
Home Screen Features Item Description Notifications panel Status icons to the left tell you when an app has sent notifications, such as / Status bar an arriving message. System icons to the right display the current wireless and network connection state and battery level. Search bar Search the Internet or the computer using Google™.
1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Tap Settings > Honeywell Settings > Key Remap. 3. Tap the plus sign (+). 4. Press the button or key you want to remap.
1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Tap Settings > Honeywell Settings > Key remap. 3. Tap the clean icon 4. Choose the remapped button(s) you want restored to the default setting.
Customize the Home Screen You can add application icons to any Home screen for easier access. 1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Tap and hold the app you want to ad, and then start to drag the icon out of position.
About Screen Gestures Use your fingers to manipulate icons, buttons, menus, the on-screen keyboard, and other items on the screen. • Tap to select something, toggle a setting On or Off, or activate a field for text entry. An on-screen keyboard automatically appears for text entry. •...
Honeywell applications help you troubleshoot and connect your computer to other devices and networks. Some of the applications in this table are located in the Power Tools app. To learn more about Honeywell Power Tools, go to www.honeywellaidc.com to download the Power Tools User Guide.
Applications You Can Download to the Mobile Computer You can download Honeywell applications to extend the capabilities of the computer. You may need to purchase a license to run some applications. To learn more about the applications described in this section and other Honeywell software solutions, go to www.honeywellaidc.com...
You can also use Honeywell Launcher together with Honeywell Enterprise Browser to create a single-purpose device configuration. If Launcher is not included on your computer model, you can download a trial version of the software for evaluation. After the evaluation period expires, you need to purchase a license.
You can modify the Default Profile or create new profiles for custom applications from Settings > Honeywell Settings > Scanning. Use the imager as a camera to capture black and white images, such as signatures or pictures of damaged inventory.
You can find information on how to create custom applications for the computer in the Software Development Kit (SDK) available for download from the Technical Support Downloads Portal at https://hsmftp.honeywell.com. Once you create an account and enter the portal, navigate to Software > Software and Tools >...
Restore Default Scan Settings You can easily discard all changes you made to the Default profile and restore the default values. Note: When you choose the Restore all defaults option from a settings screen in a profile, all the settings in that profile return to their default values. 1.
‘//’ ACTION '$' extra-data Where: ACTION and extra-data are any string of characters. Launches an application listening for the intent. Intent action: “com.honeywell.scantointent.intent.action.” + ACTION Intent extra: “com.honeywell.scantointent.intent.extra.DATA” contains the remainder of the barcode data after the first ‘$’ character.
Tap the check box to toggle the feature on or off. Center Decode • Select to adjust the Window dimensions. Honeywell recommends leaving the settings at 50 (default) to define the “center” area for the barcode. Configurable parameters: • Window top •...
Setting Description Default Video Mode Use this setting to specify whether normal or inverse decoding for Normal linear symbologies is enabled during the execution of Decode. By default normal video is enabled. Options include: • Normal • Inverse • Normal and Inverse DPM mode Use this setting when scanning Direct Part Marking (DPM) barcodes that are etched or imprinted directly into the surfaces of...
Trigger Settings Use the Trigger Settings to configure how the scan buttons work. Trigger Settings Setting Description Default Enable Scan Enable or Disable activating the imager by pressing the side scan Enabled Trigger buttons or the virtual Scan button in the Scan Demo app. Scan delay Set the minimum amount of time in seconds before the scanner can read another barcode.
To create a scan setting profile for a custom app on the computer: 1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Tap Settings > Honeywell Settings > Scan Settings > Internal Scanner. 3. Tap in the upper right corner of the app screen.
(360°) barcode scanning and an aiming beam is provided to help assist with targeting barcodes. Before you start scanning barcodes, go into Settings > Honeywell Settings > Scan Settings > Internal Scanner and modify the scan profile to enable only the barcode symbologies that you need.
3. Center the aiming beam over the barcode. Make sure the entire barcode is inside the illumination frame. 4. Release the Scan button when the computer beeps, and the Scan Status LED briefly turns on. The barcode information is entered into the application in use. Note: Not all barcode symbologies are enabled by default.
6. Center the aiming beam over the barcode. Make sure the entire barcode is inside the illumination frame. 7. Release the Scan button when the computer beeps, and the Scan Status LED briefly turns On. Barcode information appears on the screen. Note: In the Scan Demo app, not all barcode symbologies are enabled by default.
CHAPTER USE THE PHONE You can use the phone feature to make and receive phone calls as well as transmit data through wireless wide-area networks (WWANs). Note: Phone features are only supported on EDA61K WWAN models (EDA61K-1). About the Phone Phone features on the computer include a speaker and a microphone.
4. Lift up the edge of the SIM card access door. 5. Press down gently and slide the card holder into the unlocked position. Lift the edge of the card holder up. 6. Insert the card in the holder with the contacts facing out. 7.
8. Close the SIM card access door. 9. Install the battery, Refer to page Make a Phone Call Once the phone is activated, you can make a phone call. 1. Tap in the favorites tray to open the phone app. 2.
Answer the Phone When you receive a phone call, the Incoming Call screen opens. If the caller telephone number is available, it appears on the screen. Depending on your calling plan, you may also see a Caller ID information. All incoming calls are recorded in the Call log.
1. Open the phone app 2. Tap next to the microphone icon at the top of the screen. 3. Select Settings. The Call settings menu appears. 4. Change phone settings as necessary. Note: Available settings vary depending on your cellular carrier and phone plan. ScanPal EDA61K Mobile Computer...
CHAPTER USE THE CAMERA Use this chapter to learn how to take pictures and record videos with the color camera. Note: The camera feature is not available for all EDA61K models. About the Color Camera The EDA61K comes equipped with a 13-megapixel color camera, HD 1080p video with image stabilization, and advanced software features for enhanced exposure control for taking pictures and videos.
3. The camera automatically adjusts the focus but you can tap the screen to modify the focal point. By default, the camera senses the lighting in the environment and turns the flash on, if needed. 4. Tap to take a photo. •...
Record a Video This section explains how to record video with the camera in the computer. 1. Tap the Snapdragon Camera icon in the favorites tray. 2. Tap mode selection in the bottom right corner of the app. 3. Tap to select video.
Use the Camera as a Flashlight To use the camera as a flashlight. 1. Open Quick Settings (see page 24). 2. Tap the Flashlight icon to turn the flashlight on. • Select the icon again to turn the flashlight off. ScanPal EDA61K Mobile Computer...
CHAPTER CONFIGURE THE COMPUTER Use this chapter to learn about the available methods for configuring your mobile computer. You can also use this chapter to learn how to configure network communications and wireless security. How to Configure the Computer You can configure many parameters on the computer such as the barcode symbologies the integrated scanner decodes, or the network settings.
When you open the Setting app, suggestions appear at the top of the list. • to expand or collapse the suggestion list. • Tap a suggestion to open the settings screen or app relevant to the suggestion. • Swipe left to dismiss the suggestion. Network &...
Connected device In the Settings app, select Connected devices to view current, connected devices and to access the following settings. Setting Description Pair new device • Connect to a Bluetooth Device. • Lists Bluetooth enabled devices in range. • View and rename the computer. •...
Battery In the Settings app, select Battery to view battery status, use statistics and adjust features that conserve battery charge. Note: Some settings in previous OS versions can be found in Display. Setting Description Battery View current battery charge or charging status. •...
Setting Description Keyboard Set the Keyboard Backlight On/Off. Backlight Honeywell Settings In the Settings app, select Honeywell Settings to access the following settings. Setting Description Scan Settings Configure the computer imager. To learn more, see Change the Scanner Settings on page 32.
Glove mode Enable or disable Glove mode. Web Applications Enables access for the Honeywell Mobility SDK for Web apps and lets you set a www.honeywellaidc.com. port. Sound In the Settings app, select Sound to modify the audio and sound settings. To learn...
Setting Description Trusted agents View and enable/disable trusted agent apps such as, Smart Lock by Google on the device. Trusted agents bypass security based on set parameters. Screen pinning Enable or disable the screen pinning feature. When enabled you can pin the device screen to a recently used app where it stays until you unpin the app via the security method chosen.
Digital Wellbeing In the Settings app, select Digital Wellbeing to access the following settings. See https://wellbeing.google/. Google In the Settings app, select Google to set up and manage your Google accounts and services. System In the Settings app, select System to access the following settings. Setting Description Language &...
About phone In the Settings app, select About phone to view device-specific information including the device name, phone number, emergency information, legal information, compliance information, SIM status, model & hardware, IMEI, android version, IP address, Wi-Fi mac address, bluetooth address and build number. About Network Communications You can easily add the mobile computer to your wireless or wired data collection network.
• The computer automatically connects to the same network when the network is in range and the WLAN radio is turned On. • To remove a network from your saved list, tap and hold the network name and select Forget. You can do this for networks you no longer use. •...
Connect to an Ethernet Network To connect the computer to an Ethernet network, you need a EDA61K Ethernet Home Base or a EDA61K Net Base. 1. Make sure the base is connected to your Ethernet network. 2. Place the computer in the base. 3.
Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) • 802.1x Honeywell recommends WPA2 security with PSK (Personal) or 802.1x (Enterprise) key management. Before you set security, you need to enable the radio, set the date, and set the SSID on your computer. To use 802.1x security, you need to load a root certificate on your computer.
About Certificates You can use digital certificates to identify the computer for network access or authentication to servers. To use a certificate to identify your device, you must install it in the trusted credential storage on the computer. Android supports DER-encoded X.509 certificates saved in files with a .crt or .cer file extension.
The trusted credentials screen has two tabs: • System shows Certificate Authorities (CA) certificates permanently installed on the computer. They can only be disabled. • User shows CA certificates you have installed yourself. You can remove these certificates. 4. Tap the name of the certificate to you want to disable or remove. The Security certificate screen appears.
The status Icon changes from Note: To disconnect a paired device, tap next to the name of the paired device and then tap Forget. Rename the Computer and View File History You can change the name of the computer to make it easier to identify when pairing with other Bluetooth enabled devices and view statistics about received files.
USB Troubleshooting • If you have a problem with your workstation computer recognizing the USB device, try downloading and installing the Honeywell-aidc-usb-driver. The driver is part of the Honeywell_Mobility SDK_Android software.zip file. To learn where to get the software, see Developer Information on page 69.
5. Select Bluetooth tethering to initiate the shared data connection. Note: To stop sharing the connection, tap Bluetooth tethering again to turn Off the feature. Developer Information To download the Honeywell Mobility SDK for Android and EZConfig for Mobility: 1. Go to www.honeywellaidc.com. 2. Select Resources > Software.
Configuration barcodes do not scan and process. • \honeywell\autoinstall folders are inaccessible. Note: To learn more about network and security for Honeywell mobile computers with Android operating systems, go to www.honeywellaidc.com. Enable or Disable Provisioning Mode 1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps.
4. Create an account if you have not already created one. You must login to download the software. 5. Install the Honeywell Download Manager tool on your workstation (e.g., laptop or desktop computer) prior to trying to download any files.
1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Tap Settings > Honeywell Settings > Provisioning mode. 3. Tap the toggle button to turn Provisioning mode On. 4. Save the upgrade file (*.zip or *.apk) in one of the following folders on the EDA61K mobile computer: •...
9. Once installation is complete, turn Provisioning mode Off. About the Honeywell Upgrader Use the Honeywell Upgrader app (HUpgrader) to check for and install OTA updates or view the current OTA version installed on the computer. View the Installed OTA Version 1.
1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Tap Settings > Honeywell Settings > Provisioning mode. 3. Tap the toggle button to turn Provisioning mode On. 4. Save the OTA file (*.zip) in the following folder on the EDA61K computer: •...
Reboot (Restart) the Computer You may need to reboot the computer to correct conditions where an application stops responding to the system. 1. Save your files and close any open applications. 2. Press and hold the Power button until the options screen appears. 3.
Erase All Data (Factory Reset) 1. Swipe up from the bottom of the Home screen to access all apps. 2. Select Settings > System > Reset options. 3. Tap Erase all data (factory reset). 4. Tap Reset Phone. 5. If prompted, type your screen lock security pattern, PIN, or password and tap next ( 6.
APPENDIX SPECIFICATIONS Computer Agency Information EDA61K mobile computers meet or exceed the requirements of all applicable standards organizations for safe operation. The best way to ensure safe operation is to use the mobile computer according to the agency guidelines on the product regulatory sheet, quick start guide, battery insert and in this user guide.
Documents Download the Data Sheet, Accessory Guide, Quick Start Guide, User Guide, Regulatory Information, Battery Information and other product documentation. Imager Specifications The ScanPal EDA61K Series offers two Honeywell high-performance imager options: • EX20 Near/Far Imager • N6703 Slim Imager...
EX20 Imager Field of View/Resolution Focus Horizontal Field Angle (degrees) 14.0° Vertical Field Angle (degrees) 8.7° DPI can be calculated based on the following formula: Horizontal DPI = 832 pixels/width of horizontal field of view (inches) Vertical DPI = 640 pixels/width of vertical field of view (inches) N6703 Imager Reading Distances The depth of field measurements were taken using these parameters: •...
Honeywell 9680 Old Bailes Road Fort Mill, SC 29707 www.honeywellaidc.com ™ EDA61K-A-EN-UG-01 Rev A 03/20...