– Before carrying out any work on the device,
power off the instrument or make sure
the local conditions are free of potentially
explosive atmosphere for safe opening of
– These operations must be done in
conformance with EN 60079-17 and / or
national and local regulations applicable
for explosible atmospheres.
– Before power up or after doing any work
on the device always check the cover (12)
is fully screwed, O-ring (10) is free of any
damage and security screw (9) is well
10. Special Conditions of Work
Based on 94/9/EC directive, a training session must be
followed by person usually recognized to use apparatus
in explosible atmospheres.
© 2018 Baker Hughes, a GE company. All rights reserved.
• Check that no part of the 496 is damaged.
In the event of damage replace the defective parts
with genuine manufacturer's replacement part.
• Pay particular attention to the following:
– Check device, mechanical link and general aspect.
– Check the cable gland and the electrical
– Check the condition of the O-ring (10) of
cover (12) and O-ring (7) of the shaft (11).
– Make sure that shaft (11) is not worn out
– If the shaft (11) must be removed, make sure the
original circlips (8) is put back in place. Check that
neither the housing nor the shaft are damaged.
• Instruments installed in zones 20, 21 and 22 must be
cleaned to prevent any dust build up on the walls.
See instruction §11.1 b&c for safe cleaning.
This training session is not supported par Dresser
Produits Industriels S.A.S.
496 Series Masoneilan Position Transmitter ATEX Instruction Manual | 21