Overview of Setup
These are the steps in printer installation.
Attach the Ink Tanks
Install the Printheads
Load Paper to Adjust the Printheads
Install the Software and the
Store Accessories in the Pockets
• Even if you do not use the printer driver, be sure to install Media
Configuration Tool from the provided User Software CD-ROM.
With Media Configuration Tool, the paper types that are available
in your area can be registered to the printer. The Paper Reference
Guide also will be installed. For instructions on installation, refer
to "Install the Software and the Electronic Manuals" on page 6. (In
Windows, select Install Individual Software in the Setup Menu
window to install Media Configuration Tool only.)
• We recommend doing a color calibration after completing the setup
to adjust variations in the colors.
Details for each step are given in this Setup Guide. Simply follow the instructions
to install the printer.
If an error message is displayed during setup or other problems occur, refer to
"Responding to Messages" on page 12.
The Manuals Supplied with This Printer
After installing the printer as shown in this Setup Guide, refer to the
manuals for instructions on operation and maintenance.
The Basic Guide describes the following information.
• Loading paper, Replacing the consumables, Control Panel menus,
• Troubleshooting tips and Error messages
• Preparations for transferring the printer
This guide describes advanced usage of the printer such as paper
saving tips, how to print a poster and banner with the supplied software
and print quality adjusting method, in addition to the basic instructions
for printing on roll paper or cut sheet.
Paper Reference Guide
This guide describes about the types and specifications of the available
media on the printer.
To refer to the electronic manuals
• Windows :
Double-click the iPFxxxx Support desktop
icon. (iPFxxxx indicates the printer model.)
• Mac OS X :
Click the iPF Support icon in the Dock (in
Launchpad for Mac OS X v10.7 and later).
Read this manual before attempting to operate the printer.
Keep this manual in a handy location for future reference.
Space Required for Installation
With stand attached
With stand and spectrophotometer
• A space of 1300 mm in the front and 700 mm in the back are needed
to print from the front paper feed slot.
b. Set of manuals
c. Printhead (x2)
d. 2-inch paper holder stopper
e. 3-inch paper holder stopper
f. Roll holder
g. Adjustment paper
h. Setup Guide (this document)
• Some of the items included in the package are not explained in this
Setup Guide, such as the spacer for borderless printing.
Keep these items in a safe place after setup because they are used in
various printing applications.
• For instructions on the included items not described in this manual, refer
to the User's Guide.
• A cable to connect the printer to a computer is not provided with the printer.
• Canon, the Canon logo, and imagePROGRAF are trademarks or registered trademarks of CANON
• Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation, registered in the U.S. and other
• Macintosh is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• All other trademarks or registered trademarks described in this Setup Guide are the property of their
©CANON INC. 2012
Installation space (W x D x H mm)
1527 × 1802 × 644 mm
1527 × 1962 × 1301 mm
1527 × 2074 × 1301 mm
i. 3-inch paper core attachment
j. Spacer for borderless printing
k. Set of CD-ROMs
l. Starter ink tanks
(Y, PC, C, PGY, GY, BK, PM, M, MBK, R,
m. Power cord
PRINTED IN CHINA