Before using this product, carefully read this manual and retain it for future reference. Read also the instructions for the PlayStation®3 system.
- When using the navigation controller, be aware of the following points. If the navigation controller hits a person or an object, it may cause accidental injury or damage.
- When using the navigation controller, hold the controller firmly to help prevent the controller from being thrown accidentally. Furthermore, avoid swinging the controller with excessive force.
- Before use, make sure that there is plenty of space around you.
- When disposing of the navigation controller, carefully follow the precautions listed below:
- When removing the battery, do so in a location out of the reach of small children to help prevent accidental swallowing of small parts such as screws.
- Be careful not to hurt your nails or fingers when removing the battery.
- If you come into contact with material from a leaking battery, take the following actions:
- If the material gets into the eyes, do not rub. Immediately flush the eyes with clean water and seek medical attention.
- If the material comes into contact with the skin or clothes, immediately rinse the affected area with clean water. Consult your physician if inflammation or soreness develops.
Use and handling
- Do not expose the product to high temperatures, high humidity or direct sunlight.
- Do not allow the product to come into contact with liquids.
- Do not put heavy objects on the product.
- Do not throw or drop the product, or otherwise expose it to strong physical impact.
- Do not touch the connectors of the navigation controller.
- Do not allow liquid, small particles or other foreign objects to get into the navigation controller.
- Follow the instructions below to help prevent the product exterior from deteriorating or becoming discoloured.
- Wipe with a soft, dry cloth.
- Do not place any rubber or vinyl materials on the product exterior for an extended period of time.
- Do not use solvents or other chemicals. Do not wipe with a chemically-treated cleaning cloth.
- Do not allow the battery to come into contact with fire or subject it to extreme temperatures such as in direct sunlight, in a vehicle exposed to the sun or near a heat source.
About PlayStation® Move products
PlayStation®Move products work together to track and react to your physical movement for more direct and intuitive operation.
- The PlayStation ® Eye camera (sold separately) detects the sphere on the motion controller (sold separately) to follow your movement.
- When using the motion controller and the navigation controller at the same time, you can play games more easily by using the directional buttons and the left stick on the navigation controller.
- If the TV in use has specific modes for playing games, it is recommended that you switch to one of those modes for improved operation.
* 1 The left stick works in the same way as the left stick of the DUALSHOCK ® 3 wireless controller.
* 2 The L3 button functions when the left stick is pressed.
Preparing for use
Checking the version of the PS3™ system software
To use the navigation controller, the PS3™ system software must be version 3.40 or later. You can check the system software version by selecting (Settings) (System Settings) [System Information] on the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) menu of the PS3™ system.
Pairing the navigation controller and the PS3™ system
Before using the navigation controller, you must first register or "pair" the navigation controller and the PS3™ system. You only need to do this the first time you use the navigation controller.
- Turn on the PS3™ system.
- Connect the navigation controller to the PS3™ system using a USB cable.
- Press the PS button on the navigation controller.
The navigation controller is paired with the PS3™ system.
- A USB cable is not included. Use the USB cable supplied with the PS3™ system or any type A - mini-B USB cable to connect or charge the product.
- Use up to a total of seven navigation controllers and other controllers (for example, 4 motion controllers and 3 navigation controllers) simultaneously with your PS3™ system.
- When a paired navigation controller is used with another PS3™ system, the pairing with the original system is cleared. Pair the navigation controller with the system again if it has been used with another system.
Charging the navigation controller
To use the navigation controller, its battery must be charged. With the PS3™ system turned on (power indicator is lit solid green), connect the navigation controller to the system using a USB cable. The status indicator of the navigation controller flashes slowly and charging begins. The status indicator stops flashing when charging is complete.
- If you press and hold down the PS button on the navigation controller for at least one second, you can check the battery charge level on the screen.
- Charge in an environment where the temperature range is between 10°C - 30°C. Charging may not be as effective when performed in other environments.
- Battery duration may vary depending on the usage condition and environmental factors.
- The battery has a limited lifespan. Battery charge duration gradually decreases with repeated usage and age. Battery life also varies depending on the storage method, usage state, environment and other factors.
- If you do not plan to use the navigation controller for an extended period of time, it is recommended that you fully charge it at least once a year to help maintain battery functionality.
Using the navigation controller
Using the controller
Do not use the navigation controller while it is connected to the PS3™ system with a USB cable, as this restricts motion. Use in this manner could also result in damage to the connector or injury if the USB cable is suddenly pulled from the PS3™ system.
- Turn on the PS3™ system.
- Press the PS button on the navigation controller.
A number is automatically assigned to the navigation controller.
- If you press and hold down the PS button for at least one second, you can check the assigned controller number on the screen.
- To quit a game, press the PS button on the navigation controller, and then select (Game) (Quit Game).
Adjusting the navigation controller's settings
You can change settings for the navigation controller by selecting (Settings) (Accessory Settings) on the XMB™ menu of the PS3™ system.
- Reassign Controllers
If a port or number for the navigation controller is specified by the software, you can use this setting to assign the appropriate controller port or number.
- You can change settings during gameplay by pressing the PS button on the navigation controller. Select (Settings) (Accessory Settings) on the XMB™ menu, or select [Controller Settings] from the screen that is displayed when you press the PS button.
- The navigation controller does not support the vibration function.
Go through this section if you experience difficulty in operating the navigation controller. Should any problem persist, visit http://eu.playstation.com/help-support
The navigation controller operates in an abnormal manner, or cannot be used as intended.
Try resetting the navigation controller by pushing the reset button on the controller rear with a thin-tipped object such as a pen.
The navigation controller does not function.
The navigation controller must be paired with the PS3™ system through a controller number assigned by the system or software. With the system turned on (power indicator is lit solid green), connect the system and the navigation controller using a USB cable, and then press the PS button on the navigation controller.
Check the charge level of the navigation controller battery. The navigation controller will not function if the battery does not have any charge left. Charge the battery by connecting the navigation controller to the system using a USB cable.
The battery does not charge or does not fully recharge.
The battery can only be charged when the PS3™ system is turned on (power indicator is lit solid green).
When disposing of the navigation controller
When disposing of the navigation controller, remove the battery and follow local regulations regarding disposing of batteries.
Other than when disposing of the navigation controller, never remove the screws and never remove the battery from the navigation controller.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the navigation controller.
- Using a crosshead screwdriver, remove the screws from the navigation controller rear (four places), and then remove the casing.
- Pull out the battery.
- Remove the battery holder from the navigation controller.
- Remove the screw (one place).
- Lift up the bottom portion of the navigation controller to allow the circuit board to pop out slightly.
- Pull out the bottom portion of the navigation controller.
- Remove the battery holder.
- Unplug the connector to remove the battery.
|DC 5 V, 500 mA
|Built-in, rechargeable lithium-Ion battery
|DC 3.7 V
|5°C - 35°C
|External dimensions (excluding maximum projecting part)
|Approx. 138 mm × 42 mm (height × diameter)
|Approx. 95 g
|Country of production
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
This product is covered for 12 months from date of purchase by the manufacturer's warranty set out in the PS3™ system manual. Please refer to the PS3™ system manual for full details.
The manufacturer of this product is Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., 2-6-21 MinamiAoyama, Minato-ku Tokyo, 107-0062 Japan.
This product may fall within the scope of national export control legislation. You must comply fully with the requirements of such legislation and of all other applicable laws of any jurisdiction in relation to this product.
Here you can download full pdf version of manual, it may contain additional safety instructions, warranty information, FCC rules, etc.