About the DUALSHOCK ® 4 Wireless Controller
Before using this product, carefully read this manual and any manuals for compatible hardware.
Retain instructions for future reference.
For assistance with this product, visit www.us.playstation.com or call SCEA Consumer Services at
Battery life and duration
• Do not handle damaged or leaking lithium-ion batteries.
• The battery has a limited life span. Battery duration will gradually decrease with repeated usage and
age. Battery life also varies depending on the storage method, conditions of use and environmental
• Charge in an environment where the temperature range is between 10°C - 30°C (50°F - 86°F).
Charging may not be as effective when performed in other environments.
• When the wireless controller is not used for an extended period of time, it is recommended that you
fully charge it at least once a year to help maintain battery functionality.
Use and handling precautions
• Avoid prolonged use of this product. Take a break at about 30 minute intervals.
• Stop using this unit immediately if you begin to feel tired or if you experience discomfort or pain in
your hands or arms during use. If the condition persists, consult a doctor.
• Permanent hearing loss may occur if the headset or headphones are used at high volume. Set the
volume to a safe level. Over time, increasingly loud audio may start to sound normal but can actually
be damaging your hearing. If you experience ringing or any discomfort in your ears or muffled speech,
stop listening and have your hearing checked. The louder the volume, the sooner your hearing could
be affected. To protect your hearing:
- Limit the amount of time you use headset or headphones at high volume.
- Avoid raising the volume to block out noisy surroundings.
- Lower the volume if you can't hear people speaking near you.
• Avoid looking into the light bar of the controller when it is flashing. Stop using the controller
immediately if you experience any discomfort or pain in any body parts.
• This product is intended for use with the hands only.
• The vibration function of this product may aggravate injuries. Do not use the vibration function if you
have any ailment or injury to the bones, joints, or muscles of your hands or arms.
• Note that some software titles enable the vibration function by default. To disable the vibration
(Settings) ➡ [Devices] ➡ [Controllers] from the function screen, and then remove
the checkmark from [Enable Vibration].
• Do not expose the product to high temperatures, high humidity or direct sunlight.
• Do not allow the product to come into contact with liquids.
• Do not put heavy objects on the product.
• Do not throw or drop the product or subject it to strong physical shock.
• When using the motion sensor function, be cautious of the following points. If the controller hits a
person or object, this may cause accidental injury or damage.
- Before using, check that there is plenty of space around you.
- When using the controller, grip it firmly to make sure it cannot slip out of your hand.
- If using a controller that is connected to the PlayStation ® 4 system with a USB cable, make sure there
is enough space for the cable so that the cable will not hit a person or object. Also, take care to avoid
pulling the cable out of the PS4™ system while using the controller.
Follow the instructions below to help prevent the product exterior from deteriorating or becoming
• Do not place any rubber or vinyl materials on the product exterior for an extended period of time.
• Use a soft, dry cloth to clean the product. Do not use solvents or other chemicals. Do not wipe with a
chemically-treated cleaning cloth.
Registering (pairing) the controller
The first time you use the controller, or when you want to use the controller on another PlayStation ® 4
system, you must perform device registration (pairing). Turn on the PS4™ system and connect the
controller to the system with the USB cable to complete device registration.
To a USB port on the PS4™ system.
USB cable (supplied with the PS4™ system)
For details on using the controller, refer to
the user's guide of the PS4™ system.
DUALSHOCK ® 4 Wireless Controller
End of Life Product Recycling
The DUALSHOCK ® 4 wireless controller contains a lithium ion battery. Follow local regulations when
disposing of the system. Sony products can be recycled for free in the United States and Canada by
dropping the product off at a number of nationwide locations. Visit www.sony.com/ecotrade and
www.eco.sony.ca for details.
FCC and IC Notice
This equipment complies with FCC and IC radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled
environment and meets the FCC radio frequency (RF) Exposure Guidelines in Supplement C to OET65
and RSS-102 of the IC radio frequency (RF) Exposure rules. This equipment has very low levels of RF
energy that are deemed to comply without testing of specific absorption rate (SAR).
This transmitter must not be co-located or operated in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant
to Part 15 of the FCC rules.
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential
installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed
and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this
equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by
turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more
of the following measures:
• Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
• Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
• Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
• Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
You are cautioned that any changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for
compliance could void the user's authority to operate the equipment.
If you have questions about this product, call our technical support line at 1-800-345-7669, or write to:
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Consumer Services/Technical Support
PO Box 5888, San Mateo, CA 94402-0888 U.S.A.
Declaration of Conformity
Sony Electronics Inc.
16530 Via Esprillo, San Diego, CA 92127 U.S.A.
This device complies with Part 15 of FCC Rules and Industry Canada license-exempt
Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause
harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received,
including interference that may cause undesired operation.
Input power rating:
Built-in rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
5 °C – 35 °C (41 °F – 95 °F)
Approx. 210 g (7.4 oz)
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) warrants to the original purchaser that this product shall
be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. This
warranty does not apply to any consumables (such as batteries). For defects in material or workmanship
within the warranty period, upon showing a proof of purchase, SCEA agrees for a period of one (1) year
to either repair or replace this product with a new or factory recertified product at SCEA's option. For the
purpose of this Limited Warranty, "factory recertified" means a product that has been returned to its original
specifications. Visit http://www.us.playstation.com/support or call 1-800-345-7669 to receive a return
authorization and shipping instructions.
This warranty shall not be applicable and shall be void if the defect in the SCEA product has arisen through
abuse, unreasonable use, mistreatment, neglect, or means other than from a defect in materials or
workmanship. THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND NO OTHER REPRESENTATIONS OR
CLAIMS OF ANY NATURE SHALL BE BINDING ON OR OBLIGATE SCEA. ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES APPLICABLE
TO THIS PRODUCT, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE, ARE LIMITED TO THE ONE (1) YEAR PERIOD DESCRIBED ABOVE. IN NO EVENT WILL SCEA BE LIABLE
FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM POSSESSION, USE OR MALFUNCTION OF
THE SCEA PRODUCT. SOME STATES OR PROVINCES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATION ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED
WARRANTY LASTS AND SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATIONS OF CONSEQUENTIAL
OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to
state or province to province.
This warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada.
"2", "PlayStation" and "DUALSHOCK" are registered trademarks and "
of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "SONY" and "
© 2013 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. All rights reserved.
" is a trademark
" are registered trademarks of Sony
8/26/13 4:55 PM