Component replacement procedures
This section provides removal and replacement procedures.
There are as many as 89 screws, in 15 different sizes, that must be removed, replaced, or loosened
when servicing the computer. Make special note of each screw size and location during removal and
The service tag, affixed to the bottom of the computer, provides information that may be needed when
troubleshooting system problems. The service tag provides the following information:
(1) Product name: This is the product name affixed to the front of the computer.
(2) Serial number (s/n): This is an alphanumeric identifier that is unique to each product.
(3) Part number/Product number (p/n): This number provides specific information about the product's
hardware components. The part number helps a service technician to determine what components and
parts are needed.
(4) Model description: This is the number used to locate documents, drivers, and support for
(5) Warranty period: Describes the duration of the warranty period for this computer.
Chapter 4 Removal and replacement procedures