Scope This manual has been issued by Canon Inc., to provide the service technicians of this product with the information necessary for qualified persons to learn technical theory, installation, maintenance, and repair of products. The manual covers information applicable in all regions where the product is sold. For this reason, it may contain information that is not applicable to your region.
MX880 series INTRODUCTION [ How to use this Service Manual ] This manual is intended to solve printer problems smoothly, with each section representing the typical service procedures, as shown below. Troubleshooting Identify the problem, and handle it accordingly. Repair When a part needs to be replaced, see this section.
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 1. TROUBLESHOOTING 1-1. Troubleshooting by Symptom 1-2. Operator Call Error Troubleshooting 1-3. Service Call Error Troubleshooting 1-4. FAX Error Troubleshooting 2. REPAIR 2-1. Major Replacement Parts and Adjustment 2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures (1) External housing, scanner unit, and document cover removal (2) Operation panel and document feed unit removal (3) Printer unit removal &...
(7) Power supply unit and modular board replacement (8) Rating label on the bottom case (except China) (9) PTT label on the bottom case (for New Zealand only) (10) Speed Dial Utility 4. VERIFICATION AFTER REPAIR 4-1. Standard Inspection Flow 4-2.
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 1. TROUBLESHOOTING 1-1. Troubleshooting by Symptom Symptom Solution Faulty The power does not turn on. (1) Confirm cable connection: operation The power turns off - PCI DC harness ass'y immediately after power-on. => No incomplete connection, cable breakage, or cable caught in units (2) Replace the following item(s): - Logic board ass'y...
Uneven printing. opened) Improper color hue. - Whether the ink tank is Canon-genuine one or not - Whether the ink tank is refilled one or not - Re-setting of an ink tank (2) Remove foreign material from the purge unit caps, if any.
- The part in the paper path causing the smearing Graphic or text is enlarged on (1) Confirm that the carriage slit film is free from smearing or printouts in the carriage scratches: movement direction. - Cleaning of the timing slit strip film. (2) Replace the following item(s): - Timing slit strip film - Carriage unit...
1-2. Operator Call Error (by Alarm LED Lit in Orange) Troubleshooting Errors and warnings are displayed by the following ways: 1. Operator call errors are indicated by the Alarm LED lit in orange, and the error and its solution are displayed on the LCD in text and by icon.
run out during printing. Ink tank not  U043 The following ink Install the applicable ink - Ink tank installed. tank cannot be tank(s) properly, and - Carriage unit recognized. confirm that the LED's of (Applicable ink tank all the ink tanks light red. icon) Print head not  U051 Print head is not...
support Camera Direct Printing. Automatic  This paper is not The paper length is not - Duplex paper feed double-sided compatible with two- supported for double-sided roller unit printing cannot sided printing. printing. - PE sensor board ass'y be performed. Remove the paper and Press the OK button to press [OK].
(Applicable ink tank the supported ink tanks. icon) Ink tank not  U141 Appropriate ink tank A non-supported ink tank - Ink tank recognized. is not installed. Install is installed (the ink tank the appropriate ink LED is turned off). Install tank.
Contents print installed. Install the error. supported (Canon-genuine) ink tanks. 1-3. Service Call Error (by Cyclic Blinking of Alarm and Power LEDs) Troubleshooting Service call errors are indicated by the number of cycles the Alarm and Power LEDs blink, and the corresponding error code with the message, "Printer error has occurred.
Re-connect the cables. (5) Scratches or damages to the carriage slit film: Replace the timing slit strip film. (6) Black debris around the carriage rail or pressure roller: Replace the carriage unit. 3 times Line feed error  (1) Opening and closing of the paper output - Timing slit disk feed tray: film...
8 times Print head  (1) Print head condition (face surface and - Print head temperature rise error mold): - Carriage unit If a burn mark or heat deformation is seen on the face surface or the mold, replace the print head. (2) Head contact pin condition of the carriage unit: If the pin is bent or deformed,...
APP position error [6A81] wiper blade, lower the cap absorber during initial purging so that it will not contact the wiper blade. (2) Foreign material around the purge drive system unit: Remove foreign material. (3) Ink absorber right beneath the purge drive system unit: Confirm that the absorber stays in place and does not contact the unit.
19 times Ink tank position  (1) Ink tank position: - Spur unit sensor error Confirm the ink tanks are installed - Logic board ass'y in the correct slots. (2) Re-set or replacement of ink tanks: If the error persists, replace the ink tanks.
1-4. FAX Error Troubleshooting For errors other than those listed below, please refer to the "G3 / G4 Facsimile Error Code List (Rev. 2." (HY8- 23A0-020 in English, HY8-22A6-020 in Japanese). (1) User error codes Error Solution TX / RX Meaning code (Parts that are likely to be faulty)
seconds in CBT). sending machine. ##104 TX RTN or PIN has been received. - Try a higher transmission level. ##106 RX The procedure signal has been expected for 6 - Increase the transmission level of the seconds, but not received. sending machine.
failed. ##281 TX Re-transmission of the procedure signal has been - Try a higher transmission level. attempted the specified number of times, but failed. ##282 TX Re-transmission of the procedure signal has been - Try a higher transmission level. attempted the specified number of times, but failed.
transmission, no significant signal has been received, and re-transmission of the procedure signal has been attempted the number of specified times but failed. ##752 TX After transmitting PPS-NULL in ECM - Try a higher transmission level. transmission, DCN has been received. ##753 TX After transmitting PPS-NULL in ECM - Increase the period of time of the T5...
transmission, re-transmission of the procedure - Increase the transmission level of the signal has been attempted the number of receiving machine. specified times but failed. ##765 TX After transmitting PPS-EOP in ECM - Try a higher transmission level. transmission, no significant signal has been - Increase the transmission level of the received, and re-transmission of the procedure receiving machine.
sec.) has occurred. ##779 TX After transmitting EOR-MPS in ECM - Try a higher transmission level. transmission, ERR has been received. ##780 TX After transmitting EOR-EOM in ECM - Increase the transmission level of the transmission, no significant signal has been receiving machine.
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 2. REPAIR 2-1. Major Replacement Parts and Adjustment Service Recommended removal procedure Adjustment / settings / operation check part Notes on replacement Logic (1) Cassette unit In the service mode: board ass'y (2) Left and right side covers 1.
- Keep the timing slit strip film (carriage encoder film) free from stain or damage. When returning the film, make sure of its orientation (left and right, front and back). - See 2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures, (7) Carriage unit removal, for details.
- DO NOT contact the spur edges. Purge (1) Cassette unit In the service mode: drive (2) Left and right side covers 1. Print the integrated inspection pattern. system (3) Document pressure plate unit unit (4) Scanner unit (5) Main case (6) Rear cover (7) Print unit (8) See...
strip film Procedures, and Parts Catalog. 1. Perform print head alignment. Timing slit In the service mode: disk feed 2. Print the nozzle check pattern. film - Upon contact with the film, wipe the film 3. Perform LF / Eject correction (only when with ethanol.
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures (Click on the image to enlarge it.) Be sure to protect the machine from static electricity in repair servicing, especially for the LCD, operation panel board, scanner unit, logic board, card board, WLAN board, NCU board, and PE sensor board. Some of the photos below are for the MX860 and MX870, since their structure is similar to that of the MX880 series.
4) Remove the scanner cable, LCD cable, document feeder harness, panel ground harness, and core. (1 screw) <The core fits to the main case rib.> 24 / 76...
5) Remove the side cover L, disengage the scanner support, then separate the scanner from the printer. (4 screws) 25 / 76...
6) Separate the scanner from the document feeder. (no screws) 7) Remove the document feed cover where the emblem is attached. (no screws) 27 / 76...
8) Remove the main case. (no screws) 28 / 76...
(2) Operation panel and document feed unit removal 1) Remove the panel cover, right cover, and rear cover. (no screws) <Be cautious not to damage the tabs and hooks.> 29 / 76...
2) Remove the document feed cover. 3) Remove the operation panel, document feed tray, eject tray, and document feed unit. (16 screws) <The core fits to the document feed base rib.> 30 / 76...
4) Remove the LCD ass'y. (no screws) 31 / 76...
5) Remove the panel board (10 screws). (3) Printer unit removal, and ink absorber replacement 1) Separate the PictBridge chassis from the main PCB chassis. (1 screw) 2) Separate the main PCB chassis from the bottom case. (1 screw) 32 / 76...
3) Separate the PCI DC and GND harnesses from the printer unit. (1 screw) <The GND harness fits to the bottom case rib.> "3-6. Special Notes on Servicing, (7) Power supply unit and modular board replacement." 33 / 76...
4) Remove the speaker. (2 screws) 5) Remove the printer unit. (6 screws) <While being cautious not to damage the arm that connects to the front door, lift the printer unit.> 34 / 76...
Specific screw location (photos are from the MG5200 series): When the paper separation slope is removed as well as the printer unit from the bottom case, ink absorbers can be replaced. Some of the ink absorbers are under the paper separation slope. When the ink absorbers are replaced, confirm that the replaced new absorbers fit in place securely, and they do not lift.
(4) Board removal 1) Remove the WLAN board, card board, main PCB, modular board, and main PCB chassis. (13 screws) <The core fits to the rib of the harness guide.> 36 / 76...
2) Remove the PE sensor board. (5 screws) (5) Carriage unlocking 1) Rotate the drive unit gear toward the back of the machine to unlock the carriage. Slide the carriage to the left (the opposite of the home position). 37 / 76...
(6) ASF unit removal 1) Remove 1 screw from the left plate, and 2 screws from the right plate. 38 / 76...
(7) Carriage unit removal 1) On the main chassis, mark the positions of the screws that fix the carriage rail to the main chassis (3 points for each screw: the left, right, and center). 2) Remove the timing slit film. Be cautious to keep it free from any grease or damage. 3) Using a pair of pliers, etc., release the left end of the pulley holder spring, then remove the carriage belt.
4) Remove 3 screws that fix the carriage rail to the main chassis. Before removing the center screw, remove the carriage cable holder from the front chassis. After the 3 screws are removed, slowly put down the carriage rail. 5) Remove the carriage unit. Be cautious that the grease will not attach to any parts. 40 / 76...
(8) Spur unit and platen unit removal 1) Remove the ink sensor and the middle front cover from the front chassis (1 screw each). 2) From the left and right sides of the spur unit, release the springs (2 on the left side, 1 on the right side).
3) Remove the front chassis (3 screws). 4) Unlock the paper eject roller gear. While raising the front of the platen unit, remove the platen unit from the printer unit. 42 / 76...
(9) Purge drive system unit (right plate) and switch system unit (left plate) removal 1) Remove the carriage motor cable, duplex printing paper feed roller, cassette feed roller, cassette feed guide, paper guide unit, and springs of the paper guide unit (both sides). (See the Parts Catalog for details.) 2) Remove the pressure roller springs (4 springs).
3) Remove the screws that fix the units to the main chassis (2 on the right, 3 on the left). 4) Separate the main chassis from the switch system unit and the purge drive system unit. 44 / 76...
(10) Engine unit reassembly After repair, reassemble each unit of the printer engine on the bottom case in the procedures listed below. Depending on the replaced unit, some steps can be omitted. For specific part names and locations, refer to the Parts Catalog.
(11) Cable wiring and connection 1) Main PCB and spur unit: 2) Switch system unit and PE sensor board: <2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures> 46 / 76...
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 3. ADJUSTMENT / SETTINGS 3-1. Adjustment Approx. Adjustment Purpose Method time Destination settings To set the machine destination. 1 min. Service Tool (EEPROM settings) - At logic board replacement Set Destination section Ink absorber counter To reset the ink absorber counter.
LCD language To set the language to be displayed Set the language in the user 1 min. settings on the LCD. mode. Not necessary when the machine is set to the default at shipment from the production site (On arrival at user's, the user is to set the language during setup.).
3-2. Adjustment and Maintenance in User Mode Function Procedures Remarks Nozzle Perform from the printer driver Set a sheet of plain paper (A4 or Letter) in the check Maintenance tab, or via the machine cassette, or the rear tray if selected. pattern operation panel.
3-3. Adjustment and Settings in Service Mode (1) Service mode operation procedures Use the Service Tool on the connected computer. 1) Start the machine in the service mode. i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.) ii.
(2) Service Tool functions Service Tool screen: Version 2.000 51 / 76...
Name Function Remarks 1 Test Print Service test print Paper will feed from the rear tray (2 sheets). Printed items: - Model name - ROM version - USB serial number - Process inspection information - Barcode (model name + destination + machine serial number) - Ink system function check result - DVD / CD sensor check result (not applicable to the...
Platen Platen ink absorber counter Not used. (Clear Ink resetting Counter) 8 EEPROM Save EEPROM information The EEPROM information (same as the one in EEPROM saving information print) is displayed on the PC or is saved to the PC as a text file. This function is not available in most cases of errors.
5 sheets of A4 paper will be used for the pattern printing. - Paper source: Select either Rear tray or Cassette. - Media type: Select one from HR-101, GF-500/Office Planner, HP Bright White, and Canon Extra/STEINBEIS.
(4) Button and LCD test Confirm the operation after replacement of the panel board or LCD. 1) Dual Function Panel check 1-1) Click Panel Check of the Service Tool. All the buttons of the Dual Function Panel turn on and the LCD is divided into 16 white segments by the red lines.
2) Button check 2-1) Press the Black button. All the LED's on the machine turn on and the LCD turns blue, waiting for a button to be pressed. 2-2) Press each button of the operation panel, to see if every button functions properly. 2-3) The LCD is divided into 36 segments, representing each button.
(5) Ink absorber counter setting Set the ink absorber counter value to a new EEPROM after the logic board is replaced in servicing. 1) Before replacement of the logic board, check the ink absorber counter value in EEPROM information print. 2) After replacement of the logic board, the ink absorber counter value should be set in the service mode using the Service Tool.
MX880 series --- 3. ADJUSTMENT / SETTINGS TABLE OF CONTENTS 3-4. Adjustment and Maintenance in PTT Parameter Mode Enter the PTT parameter mode in the user mode as below. (The PTT parameter mode cannot be entered in the service mode.) 1) In the user mode, press the SCAN button to enter the scan mode.
<#1 BIT SWITCH> 1. In the #1 BIT SWITCH menu, the following screen is displayed: PTT PRAMETER #1 BIT SWITCH SW#01 00000000 2. Each time the up or down cursor button (or the OK button) is pressed, the SW# changes from 01 to 20. Be cautious not to select the SW numbers which are not used in servicing.
<Confirmation of the setting values> Print and confirm the PTT parameter setting values in the following procedures: 1) In the user mode, press the SCAN button, then press #, 9, 7, 6, 8, #. 2) The PTT parameter mode values are printed. For the definition and description of each bit of the SW#, refer to the "G3 Facsimile Service Data Service Handbook."...
3-5. Grease Application Number Grease Drawing of drops Part name Where to apply grease / oil Grease amount (mg) Location The surface where the carriage unit Floil 1 Carriage rail 230 to 290 slides KG107A The surface where the carriage unit Floil 2 Carriage rail 180 to 220...
- Is the outer film completely removed to open the air-through? - Re-install the ink tanks. - Is the ink tank Canon-genuine or not? - Is the ink tank refilled one or not? 2) Remove and clean any foreign material from the caps of the purge unit.
(3) Carriage unit replacement In the MX880 series, the carriage rail needs to be removed from the main chassis. Before removing the screws from the carriage rail, put a mark on the main chassis to indicate the carriage rail position. After replacing the carriage, return the carriage rail to the original position while aligning the rail to the mark on the chassis.
(5) Ink absorber counter setting Before replacement of the logic board, check the ink absorber counter value, and register it to the replaced new logic board. (The value can be set in 10% increments.) In addition, according to the "Guideline for Preventive Replacement of Ink Absorber," replace the ink absorber. When the ink absorber is replaced, reset the applicable ink absorber counter (to 0%).
(7) Power supply unit and modular board replacement 1) The ground wiring to the AC adapter differs between the Japan model and the other models. <Japan model> <Other models> Note: The photos are of the MX870 as an example. 2) The ground wiring to the modular board differs between the Japan model and the other models. <Japan model>...
(9) PTT label on the bottom case (for New Zealand only) When the bottom case is replaced, be sure to attach the PTT label from the original bottom case to the replaced new one. The PTT label is given to each printer unit respectively, thus the label of one unit is valid only for that unit. For this reason, the label is not available as a service part.
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 4. VERIFICATION AFTER REPAIR 4-1. Standard Inspection Flow In each step below, confirm that printing is performed properly and the machine operates properly without any strange noise. EEPROM information print <Check point> - The information must be printed properly. <Additional verification to be made>...
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 5. APPENDIX 5-1. Customer Maintenance Approx. Adjustment Timing Purpose Tool time Automatic print - At print head replacement To ensure accurate dot - 1 sheet of 5 min. head alignment - When print quality is not satisfying (uneven placement.
5-2. Special Tools Name Tool No. Application Remarks FLOIL KG-107A QY9-0057-000 To the carriage rail sliding portions. In common with other products on the market 5-3. Sensors Sensor Function Possible problems detected by the sensor DES sensor Detects paper ejection from the ADF. - Paper jam in the ADF DS sensor Detects paper feeding from the ADF.
5-4. Serial Number Location On the inner guide over the upper portion of the spur holder (visible when the scanning unit (cover) is opened). When the machine power is OFF. When the machine power is ON. Note: The photos are of the MX870 as an example. <5.
MX880 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 6. MACHINE TRANSPORTATION This section describes the procedures for transporting the machine for returning after repair, etc. 1) In the service mode, press the ON button to finish the mode, and confirm that the paper lifting plate of the rear tray is raised.