Using your Roomba
Positioning the Home Base
Place the Home Base in an open, uncluttered area,
leaving the following distances around the Home Base:
• At least 1.5 feet (0.5 metres) on each side of the
• At least 4 feet (1.2 metres) in front of the Home
Base and at least 4 feet (1.2 metres) away from stairs
• At least 8 feet (2.4 metres) from Virtual Wall Barriers
Always keep the Home Base plugged in.
• Turn your robot over and remove the bin insert and battery pull
tabs. Then place Roomba on the Home Base to charge.
• Fully charge the battery before the first cleaning by allowing
Roomba to charge on the Home Base for 3 hours.
• Manually wake Roomba up by pressing CLEAN once.
To start a cleaning cycle, press CLEAN again.
Remove excess clutter from floors before cleaning
(e.g. clothing, toys, etc.). Use Roomba frequently to maintain
• To pause Roomba during a cleaning cycle, press CLEAN. To
resume the cleaning cycle, press CLEAN again.
• To end the cleaning cycle and put Roomba in standby mode,
press and hold CLEAN until Roomba's indicators turn off.
• If Roomba encounters an area of high debris concentration, it
will move in a forward/backward motion to clean the area more
thoroughly. When Roomba does this, you will see the Dirt Detect™
Indicator ( ) illuminate.
• To send Roomba back to its Home Base during a cleaning cycle, press
DOCK on Roomba. This will end the cleaning cycle.
• To use SPOT Cleaning, place Roomba on top of the localised debris
and press SPOT on the robot. Roomba will thoroughly clean the area by
spiraling outward about 3 feet (1metre) in diameter and then spiraling
inward to where it started.
• When Roomba returns to the Home Base after completing a cleaning
cycle, it will play a series of tones to indicate successful completion of the
After each use, empty the bin and clean the filter.
• Always store Roomba on the Home Base so it's charged and ready to
clean when you need it. If storing away from the Home Base, remove the
battery first and then store Roomba and the battery in a cool, dry place.
Battery and Charging
Charge Roomba using the Home Base. The indicator lights will turn off
after 60 seconds to conserve energy while Roomba is charging. Check the
status of the battery by pressing the CLEAN button to illuminate the Battery
Indicator. The indicator will appear amber while the battery is charging and
solid green when fully charged.
Setting the Clock
You must set the clock before scheduling Roomba to clean. To set the time:
Press CLOCK .
Use the DAY, HOUR, and MINUTE buttons to set the correct time.
Press OK. Roomba will beep to indicate the time and date has been set.
800 Series Owner's Guide