Charge Rate Selection
After charger clamps are correctly connected, plug the charger into a 120 volt AC outlet and the charger will
show "000" on the Digital Display, indicating power has been applied. Select the proper charge current rate
based on battery size. Press the 4/10/20/40 AMP button and the charger will begin charging at 4 amps.
Pressing the 4/10/20/40 AMP button again will advance the charge rate to 10 amps, again to 20 amps, and
again to 40 amps. Pressing the switch again will turn OFF the charger output and the display will show "000".
Note: The only time the selected charge rate does not display at the full selected rate is when the battery is
nearly full and charging at either step two or three. The display will show a reduced charge rate. To return to
4A, press the 4/10/20/40 amp button. When the battery is fully charged, "FUL" shows on the Digital Display.
WARNING: If Digital Display shows "F02", the connection to the battery terminals is bad. Follow the steps
outlined in "Important Safety Instructions" at the front of this manual to disconnect, clean battery terminals,
If Digital Display shows "F06", the Red (Positive) and Black (Negative) clamps are incorrectly connected to
battery terminals. Follow the steps outlined in "Important Safety Instructions" at the front of this manual to
disconnect, then reconnect in correct polarity.
Charging the Battery
1. Press Battery Type selector until desired battery type LED lights.
Note: The default selection is "GEL" type battery.
2. Press 4/10/20/40 AMP button to begin charging at the 4 amp rate; the unit sounds a beep and displays
charging current. The charger starts charging at 4 amp rate automatically if 4/10/20/40 AMP button is not
pressed within 3 minutes after applying AC power.
If the Display on the charger varies between "F03" and the amp rate, the battery is sulfated and the charger is
trying to give it some charge. If after approximately 3 hours the display just shows "F03", then the battery will
Charger occasionally sounds a beep and displays "0.0" during self-test or charging stage changes.
3. Pressing the 4/10/20/40 AMP button again advances charging rate to 10 amps. Pressing once more
advances charging rate to 20 amps, and again to 40 amps. (Pressing the button again will turn OFF the charger
output and the Display will show "000".) This selection and actual battery charge rate are monitored by the
microprocessor, and the unit will stop charging if the selected rate is too fast or too slow for battery size or
As the battery nears full charge capacity, the unit's output will automatically drop to a lower charge rate.
Pressing the 4/10/20/40 AMP button repeatedly advances to standby mode; the unit sounds a beep, displays
"000" and stops charging.
4. The battery charger displays the charge current. To view the battery voltage, press BATTERY VOLTAGE
button. The charger will sound a beep and display the battery voltage. Press the BATTERY VOLTAGE button
again to return to displaying the charge current.
5. The display shows "FUL" when the battery is fully charged.
6. Follow the steps outlined in "Important Safety Instructions" at the front of this manual to disconnect.
Automatic Float Charging
Automatic Float Charging is ideal for maintaining a fully charged battery.
1. Keep the AC power and battery connected after battery is fully charged.
2. The charger monitors the battery and tops it off as needed.
3. The Float Charge indicator lights and the display shows charge current when topping off the battery and
returns to "FUL" when completed.
4. To view battery voltage, press the Battery Voltage button.
Note: Charging can be terminated by pressing the charge rate selector button at any time when unit is
charging. After AC power interruption, charging restarts at 4 amp rate automatically and the battery type will
default to "GEL".
WARNING: If battery size is not known, charge at the 4 amp rate. DO NOT overcharge batteries.
Equalizing is the process by which the fluid in each of a battery's cells is equalized. This process occurs after
charging is complete.