• Rechargeable batteries (not supplied) can be used.
• To use the rechargeable batteries, follow the instruction manual
attached to the rechargeable batteries and charger (not sup-
Dry cell batteries
Do not play your headphones or earphones at a high volume.
Hearing experts advise against continuous extended play.
To prevent damage to the batteries and electrolyte leakage, heed
If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or discon-
the following points.
• Align the , and . polarities properly when inserting the bat-
Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle. It may create a
• Do not mix different types or makers of batteries or old and
traffic hazard and is illegal in many areas.
• Remove the batteries if you do not plan to use the unit for a
You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use
long period of time.
in potentially hazardous situations.
• Do not throw batteries into a fire, and do not short-circuit, dis-
assemble or subject them to excessive heat.
Even if your headphones or earphones are an open-air type de-
• Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries.
signed to let you hear outside sounds, don't turn up the volume
so high that you can't hear what's around you.
Carrying dry cell batteries around
Sound can be deceiving. Over time your hearing "comfort level"
adapts to higher volumes of sound. So what sounds "normal" can
When putting dry cell batteries in a pocket or bag, ensure that no
actually be loud and harmful to your hearing.
other metal objects such as a necklace are placed together with
Guard against this by setting your equipment at a safe level BE-
them. Contact with metal may cause short-circuiting which, in
FORE your hearing adapts.
turn, may cause a fire.
To establish a safe level:
• Start your volume control at a low setting.
• Slowly increase the sound until you can hear it comfortably and
clearly, and without distortion.
• Handle the AC adaptor carefully. Improper handling is dan-
Once you have established a comfortable sound level:
• Set the dial and leave it there.
• Do not touch it with wet hands.
• Do not place heavy objects on top of it.
• Do not forcibly bend it.
• Be sure to connect only the specified AC adaptor with the unit.
• Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet if the unit is
not going to be used for a long time.
Wipe the unit with a soft cloth. Remove stubborn dirt using a cloth which has been dipped in wa-
ter or soapy water and wrung out, and then wipe dry.
Poor tuner reception
• Extend the headphone cord (antenna) to improve reception.
• If you intend to use a chemically treated cleaning cloth, read its directions first.
• Do not use alcohol or paint thinners.
• Is the AC adaptor securely connected?
Does not turn on.
• Is the HOLD switch set to OFF position?
Cannot close the lid.
Is the disc properly secured in place?
• Is the disc properly secured in place?
Cannot play discs.
• Is there moisture condensation on the lens?
(Wait for about an hour and then try again.)
Cannot hear music—too
• Is the headphone plug inserted all the way?
• Is the plug dirty? (Wipe away dirt on the plug.)
Are you using the unit too near a TV or tuner? (If the TV or
TV picture is distorted.
tuner is connected to a simple indoor antenna, connect it to
Other radio reception is
an outdoor antenna.)
• Is the disc damaged?
"dISC" or "Er" is displayed
• Is the disc playable on this player?
when a disc is in the
• Has the disc been inserted upside down?
If the remedies indicated in the chart do not solve the problem, refer to the directory of Autho-
rized Service Centers (enclosed with this unit) to locate a convenient service center, or consult
your dealer for instructions.
1. Care of AC adaptor - The cord of the AC adaptor should be
No altering or remodeling
routed so that they are not likely to be walked on or pinched by
This can cause malfunctioning.
items placed upon or against them. Never take hold of the AC
No dropping or strong impacts
adaptor if your hand is wet, and always grasp the plug when
connecting or disconnecting it.
This may damage the unit.
Locations to be avoided
2. Disconnect when not in use - When not in use, be sure to dis-
Avoid using the unit in the following locations since they can
connect the AC adaptor from the AC power outlet.
1. Bathrooms and other moisture-prone places.
3. Batteries - If the unit is not used for a long period of time or is
used only from an AC power source, remove all the batteries to
2. Warehouses and other dusty places
prevent potential damage due to battery leakage. Do not mix
3. Very hot places near heating appliances, etc.
(old and new ) batteries or different types of batteries.
Do not leave the unit exposed to direct sunlight for
long periods of time
This may deform or discolor the cabinet and may also cause mal-
When purchasing AC adaptor
1. Condensation - Moisture may form on the lens in the follow-
• immediately after a heater has been turned on.
Be absolutely sure to purchase the AC adaptor designed especially
• in a steamy or very humid room.
for this unit.
• when the unit is suddenly moved from a cold environment to
a warm one. If moisture forms inside this unit, it may not op-
AC adaptor: AA-R4513
erate properly. To correct this problem wait about one hour
For details, check with your dealer.
for the moisture to evaporate.
1. Foreign Material - Care should be taken so that objects do not
fall into and liquids are not spilled into the unit. Do not subject
this unit to excessive smoke, dust, mechanical vibration, or
2. Magnetism - The unit should be situated away from equipment
or devices that generate strong magnetic fields.
3. Stacking - Do not place any objects on top of the unit.
IMPORTANT FOR LASER PRODUCTS
1. CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT
2. CAUTION: Do not open the top cover. There are
no user serviceable parts inside the unit; leave all
servicing to qualified service personnel.
3. CAUTION: Visible and invisible laser radiation
when open and interlock failed or defeated. Avoid
direct exposure to beam.
4. REPRODUCTION OF LABEL: CAUTION LABEL,
PLACED OUTSIDE THE UNIT.
CAUTION: Visible and invisible
VARNING: Synlig Och
laser radiation when open and
osynlig laserstrålning när
interlock failed or defeated.
den öppnas och spärren är
AVOID DIRECT EXPOSURE TO
urkopplad. Betrakta ej
ADVARSEL: Synlig og usynlig
VARO: Avattaessa ja
laserstråling når maskinen er
åben eller interlocken fejle.
viallisena olet alttiina näkyvälle
Air blower for
Undgå direkte eksponering
ja näkymättömälle lasersäteilylle.
Vältä säteen kohdistumista
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with
(See page 5 for details.)
the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of
Clean the cabinet, panel and controls with a soft cloth lightly
the FCC Rules.
moistened with mild detergent solution.
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection
Do not use any type of abrasive pad, scouring powder or solvent
against harmful interference in a residential installation. This
such as alcohol or benzine.
equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency
energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the
instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio com-
munications. However, there is no guarantee that interfer-
ence will not occur in a particular installation. If this
equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or televi-
1. Damage Requiring Service - The unit should be serviced by
sion reception, which can be determined by turning the
qualified service personnel when:
equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct
(a) The AC adaptor is damaged; or
the interference by one of the following measures:
(b) Objects have fallen or liquid has been spilled into the unit; or
• Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
(c) The unit has been exposed to rain; or
• Increase the separation between the equipment and re-
(d) The unit does not appear to operate normally or exhibits a
marked change in performance; or
• Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different
(e) The unit has been dropped, or the enclosure damaged.
from that to which the receiver is connected.
• Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO
Any unauthorized changes or modifications to this equip-
NOT EXPOSE THIS APPLIANCE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE.
ment would void the user's authority to operate this device.
THIS PRODUCT UTILIZES A LASER.
USE OF CONTROLS OR ADJUSTMENTS OR PERFORMANCE
OF PROCEDURES OTHER THAN THOSE SPECIFIED HEREIN
MAY RESULT IN HAZARDOUS RADIATION EXPOSURE.
DO NOT OPEN COVERS AND DO NOT REPAIR YOURSELF.
REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED PERSONNEL.
Concerning Compact Discs
PORTABLE CD PLAYER
Only compact discs bearing this mark can be used with this unit.
However, continued use of irregular shape CDs (heart-shape, octagonal, etc.) can damage
CD-R and CD-RW discs recorded with the audio
For Customer Use:
CD format can be played back, though some may
Enter below the Model No. and Serial
not be played back because of the disc character-
No. which are located either on the rear,
istics or recording condition.
bottom or side of the player. Retain this
How to remove a disc from its case
How to store the disc in
information for future reference.
Label side up
How to hold a disc
If the disk surface is dirty
Wipe it with a damp cloth and then wipe dry.
Wipe from the center toward the outer edge.
Play surface (shiny surface)
Stereo headphones .......................................................................................................................... 1 pc.
Remote control ................................................................................................................................. 1 pc.
If moisture has formed on a disc
When moisture has formed because the
• On the label side (the side with writing)
Thank you for purchasing this JVC product. Please read these instructions carefully before starting
disc was brought suddenly into a warm
Do not write anything using a pencil,
room from a cold environment, wipe off
ball-point pen, etc. Do not use adhesive
operation to be sure to obtain optimum performance and a longer service life from the unit.
the moisture using a soft dry cloth.
paper or labels.
When storing discs
• On the disc (shiny) side
Avoid locations which are
Handle this side carefully to keep it free
from fingerprints or scratches. Do not
• Exposed to direct sunlight.
use record cleaners, solvents, etc.
• Susceptible to high levels of humidity or
• Do not attach labels or stickers to CDs.
©2004 VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LIMITED
• Directly exposed to heat from a heating
Do not use CDs with exposed adhesive
from tape or left over peeled off stickers.
• Do not use scratch-proof protectors or
• On top of a car dashboard or near the
covers other than those specified for use
with this unit.
Put the grip band on your hand
Adjust the grip band to your hand size.
Portable CD player
: Compact disc player
Signal detection system : Non-contact optical pickup (semiconductor laser)
: 3 beam laser
Number of channels:
: 2 channels (stereo)
: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Wow & flutter
: Headphones (3.5 mm dia. stereo × 1)
9 mW/ch at 10 % THD/16 Ω matching impedance (16 Ω to 1 kΩ)
FM tuning range
: 87.5 MHz - 108.0 MHz
Duration of battery
: Approx. 20 hours when using two alkaline batteries (LR6)
Protection EX OFF)
: DC 3 V ("AA" size battery × 2)
DC 2.4V (rechargeable battery × 2)
DC IN 4.5 V
Dimensions (W × H × D) : 145.5 mm × 32.1 mm × 145.5 mm (5-
" × 1-
" × 5-
(Excluding buttons and controls)
: 300 g (0.67 lbs)
(with grip band, without batteries)
AC adaptor (not supplied)
Input power source
: AC 120 V, 60 Hz
: DC 4.5 V, 600 mA
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.