• Do not play your headphones at a high volume. Hearing ex-
• Rechargeable batteries (not supplied) can be used.
perts advise against continuous extended play.
• To use the rechargeable batteries, follow the instruction manual
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or dis-
attached to the rechargeable batteries and charger (not sup-
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle. It may create a
Dry cell batteries
traffic hazard and is illegal in many areas.
• You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use
in potentially hazardous situations.
To prevent damage to the batteries and electrolyte leakage, heed
• Even if your headphones is an open-air type designed to let you
the following points.
hear outside sounds, don't turn up the volume so high that you
• Align the , and . polarities properly when inserting the bat-
can't hear what's around you.
• Do not mix different types or makers of batteries or old and
• Remove the batteries if you do not plan to use the unit for a
long period of time.
• Do not throw batteries into a fire, and do not short-circuit, dis-
assemble or subject them to excessive heat.
• Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries.
Carrying dry cell batteries around
When putting dry cell batteries in a pocket or bag, ensure that no
other metal objects such as a necklace are placed together with
them. Contact with metal may cause short-circuiting which, in
turn, may cause a fire.
• Handle the AC adaptor carefully. Improper handling is dan-
• Do not touch it with wet hands.
• Do not place heavy objects on top of it.
• Do not forcibly bend it.
• Be sure to connect only the specified AC adaptor with the unit.
• Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet if the unit is
not going to be used for a long time.
Wipe the unit with a soft cloth. Remove stubborn dirt using a cloth which has been dipped in wa-
ter or soapy water and wrung out, and then wipe dry.
Poor tuner reception
• Extend the headphone cord (antenna) to improve reception.
• If you intend to use a chemically treated cleaning cloth, read its directions first.
• Do not use alcohol or paint thinners.
• Is the AC adaptor securely connected?
Does not turn on.
• Is the HOLD switch set to OFF position?
Cannot close the lid.
Is the disc properly secured in place?
• Is the disc properly secured in place?
Cannot play discs.
• Is there moisture condensation on the lens?
(Wait for about an hour and then try again.)
Cannot hear music—too
• Is the headphone plug inserted all the way?
• Is the plug dirty? (Wipe away dirt on the plug.)
Are you using the unit too near a TV or tuner? (If the TV or
TV picture is distorted.
tuner is connected to a simple indoor antenna, connect it to
Other radio reception is
an outdoor antenna.)
• Is the disc damaged?
"dISC" or "Er" is displayed
• Is the disc playable on this player?
when a disc is in the
• Has the disc been inserted upside down?
If the remedies indicated in the chart do not solve the problem, refer to the directory of Autho-
rized Service Centers (enclosed with this unit) to locate a convenient service center, or consult
your dealer for instructions.
1. Care of AC adaptor - The cord of the AC adaptor should be
No altering or remodeling
routed so that they are not likely to be walked on or pinched by
This can cause malfunctioning.
items placed upon or against them. Never take hold of the AC
No dropping or strong impacts
adaptor if your hand is wet, and always grasp the plug when
connecting or disconnecting it.
This may damage the unit.
Locations to be avoided
2. Disconnect when not in use - When not in use, be sure to dis-
Avoid using the unit in the following locations since they can
connect the AC adaptor from the AC power outlet.
1. Bathrooms and other moisture-prone places.
3. Batteries - If the unit is not used for a long period of time or is
2. Warehouses and other dusty places
used only from an AC power source, remove all the batteries to
prevent potential damage due to battery leakage. Do not mix
3. Very hot places near heating appliances, etc.
(old and new ) batteries or different types of batteries.
Do not leave the unit exposed to direct sunlight for
long periods of time
This may deform or discolor the cabinet and may also cause mal-
When purchasing AC adaptor
1. Condensation - Moisture may form on the lens in the follow-
• immediately after a heater has been turned on.
Be absolutely sure to purchase the AC adaptor designed especially
• in a steamy or very humid room.
for this unit.
• when the unit is suddenly moved from a cold environment to
a warm one. If moisture forms inside this unit, it may not op-
AC adaptor: AA-R4515
erate properly. To correct this problem wait about one hour
For details, check with your dealer.
for the moisture to evaporate.
1. Foreign Material - Care should be taken so that objects do not
fall into and liquids are not spilled into the unit. Do not subject
this unit to excessive smoke, dust, mechanical vibration, or
2. Magnetism - The unit should be situated away from equipment
or devices that generate strong magnetic fields.
3. Stacking - Do not place any objects on top of the unit.
• Do not block the ventilation opening or holes. (If the venti-
lation openings of holes are blocked by a newspaper or
cloth, etc., the heat may not be able to get out.)
• Do not place any naked flame sources, such as lighted
candles, on the apparatus.
• When discarding batteries, environmental problems must
be considered and local rules or laws governing the dis-
posal of these batteries must be followed strictly.
• Do not expose this apparatus to rain, moisture, dripping or
splashing and that no objects filled with liquids, such as vases,
shall be placed on the apparatus.
IMPORTANT FOR LASER PRODUCTS
1. CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT
2. CAUTION: Do not open the top cover. There are
no user serviceable parts inside the unit; leave all
servicing to qualified service personnel.
3. CAUTION: Visible and invisible laser radiation
when open and interlock failed or defeated. Avoid
direct exposure to beam.
Air blower for
4. REPRODUCTION OF LABEL: CAUTION LABEL,
PLACED OUTSIDE THE UNIT.
CAUTION: Visible and invisible
VARNING: Synlig Och
laser radiation when open and
osynlig laserstrålning när
interlock failed or defeated.
den öppnas och spärren är
AVOID DIRECT EXPOSURE TO
urkopplad. Betrakta ej
ADVARSEL: Synlig og usynlig
VARO: Avattaessa ja
laserstråling når maskinen er
åben eller interlocken fejle.
viallisena olet alttiina näkyvälle
Undgå direkte eksponering
ja näkymättömälle lasersäteilylle.
Vältä säteen kohdistumista
(See page 5 for details.)
Clean the cabinet, panel and controls with a soft cloth lightly
moistened with mild detergent solution.
Do not use any type of abrasive pad, scouring powder or solvent
such as alcohol or benzine.
1. Damage Requiring Service - The unit should be serviced by
qualified service personnel when:
(a) The AC adaptor is damaged; or
(b) Objects have fallen or liquid has been spilled into the unit; or
(c) The unit has been exposed to rain; or
(d) The unit does not appear to operate normally or exhibits a
marked change in performance; or
(e) The unit has been dropped, or the enclosure damaged.
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO
NOT EXPOSE THIS APPLIANCE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE.
THIS PRODUCT UTILIZES A LASER.
USE OF CONTROLS OR ADJUSTMENTS OR PERFORMANCE
OF PROCEDURES OTHER THAN THOSE SPECIFIED HEREIN
MAY RESULT IN HAZARDOUS RADIATION EXPOSURE.
DO NOT OPEN COVERS AND DO NOT REPAIR YOURSELF.
REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED PERSONNEL.
Concerning Compact Discs
Only compact discs bearing this mark can be used with this unit.
PORTABLE CD PLAYER
However, continued use of irregular shape CDs (heart-shape, octagonal, etc.) can damage
CD-R and CD-RW discs recorded with the audio
CD format can be played back, though some may
not be played back because of the disc character-
istics or recording condition.
How to remove a disc from its case
How to store the disc in
Label side up
How to hold a disc
If the disk surface is dirty
Wipe it with a damp cloth and then wipe dry.
Wipe from the center toward the outer edge.
Play surface (shiny surface)
Stereo headphones .......................................................................................................................... 1 pc.
If moisture has formed on a disc
When moisture has formed because the
• On the label side (the side with writing)
Thank you for purchasing this JVC product. Please read these instructions carefully before starting
disc was brought suddenly into a warm
Do not write anything using a pencil,
operation to be sure to obtain optimum performance and a longer service life from the unit.
room from a cold environment, wipe off
ball-point pen, etc. Do not use adhesive
the moisture using a soft dry cloth.
paper or labels.
• On the disc (shiny) side
When storing discs
Handle this side carefully to keep it free
Avoid locations which are
from fingerprints or scratches. Do not
• Exposed to direct sunlight.
• Susceptible to high levels of humidity or
use record cleaners, solvents, etc.
• Do not attach labels or stickers to CDs.
©2004 VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LIMITED
Do not use CDs with exposed adhesive
• Directly exposed to heat from a heating
from tape or left over peeled off stickers.
• Do not use scratch-proof protectors or
• On top of a car dashboard or near the
covers other than those specified for use
with this unit.
Put the grip band on your hand
Adjust the grip band to your hand size.
Portable CD player
: Compact disc player
Signal detection system : Non-contact optical pickup (semiconductor laser)
: 3 beam laser
Number of channels:
: 2 channels (stereo)
: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Wow & flutter
: Headphones (3.5 mm dia. stereo × 1)
9 mW/ch at 10 % THD/16 Ω matching impedance (16 Ω to 1 kΩ)
FM tuning range
: 87.5 MHz - 108.0 MHz
Duration of battery
: Approx. 20 hours when using two alkaline batteries (LR6)
Protection EX OFF)
: DC 3 V ("R6" size battery × 2)
DC 2.4V (rechargeable battery × 2)
DC IN 4.5 V
Dimensions (W × H × D) : 145.5 mm × 32.1 mm × 145.5 mm
(Excluding buttons and controls)
: 300 g
(with grip band, without batteries)
AC adaptor (not supplied)
Input power source
: AC 230 V, 50 Hz
: DC 4.5 V, 600 mA
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.