Concerning Compact Discs
Only compact discs bearing this mark can be used with this unit.
However, continued use of irregular shape CDs (heart-shape, octagonal, etc.) can damage
CD-R and CD-RW discs recorded with the audio
CD format can be played back, though some may
not be played back because of the disc character-
istics or recording condition.
The Non-DVD side of a "DualDisc" does not comply with the "Compact Disc Digital
Audio" standard. Therefore, the use of Non-DVD side of a DualDisc on this product may
not be recommended.
How to hold a disc
If the disk surface is dirty
Wipe it with a damp cloth and then wipe dry.
Wipe from the center toward the outer edge.
Play surface (shiny surface)
If moisture has formed on a disc
When moisture has formed because the
• On the label side (the side with writing)
disc was brought suddenly into a warm
Do not write anything using a pencil,
room from a cold environment, wipe off
ball-point pen, etc. Do not use adhesive
the moisture using a soft dry cloth.
paper or labels.
When storing discs
• On the disc (shiny) side
Handle this side carefully to keep it free
Avoid locations which are
from fingerprints or scratches. Do not
• Exposed to direct sunlight.
• Susceptible to high levels of humidity or
use record cleaners, solvents, etc.
• Do not attach labels or stickers to CDs.
Do not use CDs with exposed adhesive
• Directly exposed to heat from a heating
from tape or left over peeled off stickers.
• Do not use scratch-proof protectors or
• On top of a car dashboard or near the
covers other than those specified for use
with this unit.
Portable CD player
: Compact disc player
Signal detection system : Non-contact optical pickup (semiconductor laser)
: 3 beam laser
Number of channels:
: 2 channels (stereo)
: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Wow & flutter
: Headphones (3.5 mm dia. stereo × 1)
9 mW/ch at 10 % THD/16 Ω matching impedance (16 Ω to 1 kΩ)
FM tuning range
: 87.50 MHz - 108.00 MHz
Duration of battery
: Approx. 20 hours when using two alkaline batteries (LR6)
Protection EX OFF)
: DC 3 V ( "LR6" size battery × 2)
DC 2.4V (rechargeable battery × 2)
DC IN 4.5 V
Dimensions (W × H × D) : 138 mm × 26 mm × 138 mm
(Excluding buttons and controls)
AC adaptor (not supplied)
Input power source
: AC 230V, 50 Hz
: DC 4.5 V, 600 mA
• Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
• Microsoft and Windows Media are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft
Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
1. Care of AC adaptor - The cord of the AC adaptor should be
(See page 2 for details.)
routed so that they are not likely to be walked on or pinched
Clean the cabinet, panel and controls with a soft cloth lightly
by items placed upon or against them. Never take hold of the
moistened with mild detergent solution.
AC adaptor if your hand is wet, and always grasp the plug
Do not use any type of abrasive pad, scouring powder or solvent
when connecting or disconnecting it.
such as alcohol or benzine.
2. Disconnect when not in use - When not in use, be sure to
disconnect the AC adaptor from the AC power outlet.
3. Batteries - If the unit is not used for a long period of time or is
1. Damage Requiring Service - The unit should be serviced by
used only from an AC power source, remove all the batteries
qualified service personnel when:
to prevent potential damage due to battery leakage. Do not
(a) The AC adaptor is damaged; or
mix (old and new ) batteries or different types of batteries.
(b) Objects have fallen or liquid has been spilled into the unit; or
(c) The unit has been exposed to rain; or
(d) The unit does not appear to operate normally or exhibits a
marked change in performance; or
(e) The unit has been dropped, or the enclosure damaged.
1. Condensation - Moisture may form on the lens in the follow-
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO
• immediately after a heater has been turned on.
NOT EXPOSE THIS APPLIANCE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE.
• in a steamy or very humid room.
• when the unit is suddenly moved from a cold environment
to a warm one. If moisture forms inside this unit, it may not
operate properly. To correct this problem wait about one
hour for the moisture to evaporate.
THIS PRODUCT UTILIZES A LASER.
USE OF CONTROLS OR ADJUSTMENTS OR PERFORMANCE
OF PROCEDURES OTHER THAN THOSE SPECIFIED HEREIN
1. Foreign Material - Care should be taken so that objects do not
MAY RESULT IN HAZARDOUS RADIATION EXPOSURE.
fall into and liquids are not spilled into the unit. Do not subject
DO NOT OPEN COVERS AND DO NOT REPAIR YOURSELF.
this unit to excessive smoke, dust, mechanical vibration, or
REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED PERSONNEL.
2. Magnetism - The unit should be situated away from equipment
or devices that generate strong magnetic fields.
3. Stacking - Do not place any objects on top of the unit.
• Do not block the ventilation opening or holes. (If the venti-
lation openings of holes are blocked by a newspaper or
cloth, etc., the heat may not be able to get out.)
• Do not place any naked flame sources, such as lighted
candles, on the apparatus.
• When discarding batteries, environmental problems must
be considered and local rules or laws governing the dis-
posal of these batteries must be followed strictly.
• Do not expose this apparatus to rain, moisture, dripping or
splashing and that no objects filled with liquids, such as vases,
shall be placed on the apparatus.
IMPORTANT FOR LASER PRODUCTS
1. CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT
2. CAUTION: Do not open the top cover. There are
no user serviceable parts inside the unit; leave all
servicing to qualified service personnel.
3. CAUTION: Visible and invisible laser radiation
when open and interlock failed or defeated. Avoid
direct exposure to beam.
4. REPRODUCTION OF LABEL: CAUTION LABEL,
PLACED OUTSIDE THE UNIT.
CAUTION: Visible and invisible
VARNING: Synlig Och
laser radiation when open and
osynlig laserstrålning när
interlock failed or defeated.
den öppnas och spärren är
AVOID DIRECT EXPOSURE TO
urkopplad. Betrakta ej
ADVARSEL: Synlig og usynlig
VARO: Avattaessa ja
laserstråling når maskinen er
åben eller interlocken fejle.
viallisena olet alttiina näkyvälle
Undgå direkte eksponering
ja näkymättömälle lasersäteilylle.
Vältä säteen kohdistumista
PORTABLE CD PLAYER
Only XL-PR70B supports WMA
Stereo headphones .......................................................................................................................... 1 pc.
Thank you for purchasing this JVC product. Please read these instructions carefully before starting
operation to be sure to obtain optimum performance and a longer service life from the unit.
©2005 Victor Company of Japan, Limited
Power Supply Preparations
Using dry-cell batteries
Using the AC adaptor (not supplied)
Two "LR6" alkaline batteries.
Do not forcibly open the battery lid too wide.
This indicator appears when the batteries are almost out of power.
• Even if the unit is turned off, small power is consumed as long
Power will be cut off a short while later.
as the AC adaptor is connected to the AC power outlet.
• When you want to purchase the AC adaptor, see page 4.
Turning off the Anti-Shock Protection EX will save the battery power
more or less. For details, see "Anti-shock Protection EX" on page 7.
(Available for an Audio CD only)
Wipe the unit with a soft cloth. Remove stubborn dirt using a cloth which has been dipped in water
or soapy water and wrung out, and then wipe dry.
• If you intend to use a chemically treated cleaning cloth, read its directions first.
• Do not use alcohol or paint thinners.
Air blower for
• Do not play your headphones at a high volume. Hearing ex-
• Rechargeable batteries (not supplied) can be used.
perts advise against continuous extended play.
• To use the rechargeable batteries, follow the instruction manual
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or dis-
attached to the rechargeable batteries and charger (not sup-
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle. It may create a
Dry cell batteries
traffic hazard and is illegal in many areas.
• You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use
in potentially hazardous situations.
To prevent damage to the batteries and electrolyte leakage, heed
• Even if your headphones is an open-air type designed to let you
the following points.
hear outside sounds, don't turn up the volume so high that you
• Align the , and . polarities properly when inserting the bat-
can't hear what's around you.
• Do not mix different types or makers of batteries or old and
• Remove the batteries if you do not plan to use the unit for a
long period of time.
• Do not throw batteries into a fire, and do not short-circuit, dis-
assemble or subject them to excessive heat.
• Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries.
Carrying dry cell batteries around
When putting dry cell batteries in a pocket or bag, ensure that no
other metal objects such as a necklace are placed together with
them. Contact with metal may cause short-circuiting which, in
turn, may cause a fire.
• Handle the AC adaptor carefully. Improper handling is dan-
• Do not touch it with wet hands.
• Do not place heavy objects on top of it.
• Do not forcibly bend it.
• Be sure to connect only the specified AC adaptor with the unit.
• Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet if the unit is
not going to be used for a long time.
Poor tuner reception
• Extend the headphone cord (antenna) to improve reception.
• Is the AC adaptor securely connected?
Does not turn on.
• Is the HOLD switch set to OFF position?
Is the disc properly secured in place?
Cannot close the lid.
• Is the disc properly secured in place?
• Is there moisture condensation on the lens?
(Wait for about an hour and then try again.)
Cannot play discs.
• Are MP3/WMA files recorded on the disc?
• Do MP3/WMA files have the extension code—.mp3 or
• Are MP3/WMA files recorded in the format compliant
with ISO 9660?
• Is the headphone plug inserted all the way?
• Is the plug dirty? (Wipe away dirt on the plug.)
• Are you playing a compatible disc? While playing a non-
Cannot hear music—too
MP3/WMA file, you will hear a noise. (Note it may not be
an MP3/WMA file although it has the extension code—
.mp3. or .wma)
TV picture is distorted.
Are you using the unit too near a TV or tuner? (If the TV or
Other radio reception is
tuner is connected to a simple indoor antenna, connect it to
an outdoor antenna.)
"DISC" or "Er" is displayed
• Is the disc damaged?
• Is the disc playable on this player?
when a disc is in the
• Has the disc been inserted upside down?
If the remedies indicated in the chart do not solve the problem, refer to the directory of Autho-
rized Service Centers (enclosed with this unit) to locate a convenient service center, or consult
your dealer for instructions.
AC power outlet
No altering or remodeling
This can cause malfunctioning.
No dropping or strong impacts
This may damage the unit.
Locations to be avoided
Avoid using the unit in the following locations since they can
1. Bathrooms and other moisture-prone places.
2. Warehouses and other dusty places
3. Very hot places near heating appliances, etc.
Do not leave the unit exposed to direct sunlight for
long periods of time
This may deform or discolor the cabinet and may also cause
When purchasing AC adaptor
Be absolutely sure to purchase the AC adaptor designed espe-
cially for this unit.
AC adaptor: AA-R4515
For details, check with your dealer.