Adjusting the CA Unit
Any time the CA motor or the timing belt is removed or replaced, the carriage friction
and home position should be checked and adjusted as required. Perform the following
adjustments with an ink cartridge installed.
Electro-Static Discharge Hazard
Wear an anti-static wrist strap with ground wire to prevent damage to sensitive
Adjusting the Carriage Home Position
(1) Remove all covers and remove the printer mechanism.
(2) Install a wiring harness to connect the carriage motor and the home position sensor
to the main PCB.
If an extra harness is not available, you may simply remove the two screws
securing the printer assembly to the bottom cover and raise the mechanism to
access the carriage motor screw; however, you MUST place a non-conductive
material (such as paper) between the printer and other electrical components -
especially the power supply PCB - to avoid grounding damage to the equipment.
(3) Loosen the CA motor screw.
(4) Turn on all power and from the Main Menu, press CODE + SHIFT + BACKSPACE,
then select "B" from the Self Test menu to start the CR (Carriage Reset) test.
(5) Manually move the carriage to the right end.
(6) While holding the carriage at the right end, press the UP arrow key to turn the
motor on, and verify that the motor is in phase AB (from the display).
(7) Slowly rotate the motor to the point of least vibration (motor noise), hold the motor
at this position, and retighten the screw.