• Chapter 10 “Getting information, help, and service” on page 39 provides information about the wide ® variety of helpful resources available from Lenovo • Appendix A “Manual modem commands” on page 43 provides commands for manually programming your modem.
Air circulation Your computer and monitor produce heat. The computer has a fan that pulls in fresh air and forces out hot air. The monitor lets hot air escape through vents. Blocking the air vents can cause overheating, which might result in a malfunction or damage.
Note: Depending on your model type, your computer might come with a Low Force Helix (LFH) connector on the rear panel, which enables you to connect up to four monitors. The standard LFH connector has two breakout Video Graphics Array (VGA) cables or Digital Video Interface (DVI) cables. This solution provides you with flexibility for a variety of monitor configurations.
Audio line-in connector Used to receive audio signals from an external audio device, such as a stereo system. When you attach an external audio device to your computer, connect the cable to the audio line-out connector of the device and the audio line-in connector of the computer.
Audio line-out connector (side speaker When used with 7.1 surround speakers, this connector should connector) be attached to the side left and right speakers. Optical SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Used to receive 5.1 digital audio signals from an external device, Interconnect Format) in connector such as a receiver or other multimedia devices, through a TOSLINK (ToshibaLink) optical cable.
USB connector Used to attach a device that requires a USB connector, such as a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, a USB scanner, or a USB printer. If you have more than 10 USB devices, you can purchase a USB hub, which you can use to connect additional USB devices.
39. You can get additional help and information by telephone through the Customer Support Center. For the latest Service and Support worldwide telephone list, go to: http://support.lenovo.com Finishing the software installation Important: Be sure to read and understand the license agreements carefully before using the programs on this computer.
Updating your antivirus software Your computer comes with antivirus software that you can use to detect and eliminate viruses. Lenovo provides a full version of antivirus software on your hard disk drive with a free 30-day subscription. After 30 days, you must renew the license to continue receiving the antivirus program updates.
the microprocessor model and the type, speed, size (capacity), and number of DIMMs installed. Refer to Appendix B “System memory speed” on page 49 for the information on the supported system memory speed for your own computer model. Internal drives •...
• One Ethernet connector • Two rear IEEE 1394 connectors (optional) • Two audio connectors on the front panel (microphone connector and headphone connector) • VGA or DVI monitor connector (requires video card) Expansion • Two optical drive bays • One drive bay for either a 3.5-inch diskette drive or a card reader •...
The operating systems listed here are being certified or tested for compatibility at the time this publication goes to press. Additional operating systems might be identified by Lenovo as compatible with your computer following the publication of this booklet. Corrections and additions to this list are subject to change. To determine if an operating system has been certified or tested for compatibility, check the Web site of the operating system vendor.
Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools The Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools program guides you to a host of information sources and provides easy access to various tools to help you work more easily and securely. For more information, see “Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools” on page 39.
The Lenovo Solution Center program enables you to troubleshoot and resolve computer problems. It combines diagnostic tests, system information collection, security status, and support information, along with hints and tips for maximum system performance. See “Lenovo Solution Center” on page 29 for detailed information.
• Not be a common word or a common name • Be significantly different from your previous passwords User Password When a User Password is set, the computer cannot be used until a valid password is typed from the keyboard. Administrator Password Setting an Administrator Password deters unauthorized users from changing configuration settings.
To set the Legacy diskette A, do the following: 1. Start the Setup Utility program. See “Starting the Setup Utility program” on page 17. 2. From the Setup Utility program menu, select Devices ➙ Legacy diskette A. 3. Select the desired settings and press Enter. 4.
Creating RAID volumes This section describes how to use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM configuration utility to create RAID volumes. 1. Press Ctrl+I when prompted to enter the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM configuration utility. Note: To make enough physical hard disk drives available to create a RAID volume. 2.
• RAID Level 0 – Striped disk array – Two hard disk drives minimum – Better performance without fault tolerance • RAID Level 1 – Mirrored disk array – Two hard disk drives minimum – Improved read performance and 100% redundancy •...
Configuring the Marvell BIOS Setup to set an optional hot spare hard disk drive To configure the Marvell BIOS Setup to set an optional hot spare hard disk drive: 1. Turn on your computer and press Ctrl+M when prompted to enter the Marvell BIOS Setup. 2.
Utility program by starting your computer with a system-program-update disc or running a special update program from your operating system. Lenovo might make changes and enhancements to the POST and BIOS. When updates are released, they are available as downloadable files on the Lenovo Web site at http://www.lenovo.com. Instructions for using the POST/BIOS updates are available in a TXT file that is included with the update files.
Updating (flashing) the BIOS from your operating system Note: Because Lenovo makes constant improvements to the Web site, the Web page content is subject to change without notice, including the links referenced in the following procedure. 1. Go to http://support.lenovo.com.
Depending on the preinstalled operating system and the date when your computer was manufactured, Lenovo provides one of the following diagnostic solutions: • Lenovo Solution Center (used when the Windows operating system is running normally) • Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox (used when you are running the Windows operating system) •...
Note: If you are unable to isolate and repair the problem yourself after running the program, save and print the log files created by the program. You will need the log files when you speak to a Lenovo technical support representative.
You can also download the latest version of the PC-Doctor for DOS diagnostic program from http://support.lenovo.com. The PC-Doctor for DOS diagnostic program runs independently of the Windows operating system. Use the PC-Doctor for DOS if you are unable to start the Windows operating system or if the two diagnostic programs preinstalled on your computer have not been successful in isolating a possible problem.
To clean an optical mouse, do the following: 1. Turn off your computer. 2. Disconnect the mouse cable from the computer. 3. Turn the mouse upside down to check the lens. a. If there is a smudge on the lens, gently clean the area with a plain cotton-tipped swab. b.
Windows Vista and Windows XP, you can create recovery media using discs only. • To create recovery media on Windows 7, click Start ➙ All Programs ➙ Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools ➙ Factory Recovery Disks. Then, follow the instructions on the screen.
• To use recovery media on Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following: Attention: When you use recovery media to restore the computer to the factory default settings on Windows 7 or Windows Vista, all the files currently on the system drive or the hard disk drive will be deleted and replaced by the factory default settings.
• To perform a backup operation using the Rescue and Recovery program on Windows 7, do the following: 1. From the Windows desktop, click Start ➙ All Programs ➙ Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools ➙ Enhanced Backup and Restore. The Rescue and Recovery program opens.
• Restore your hard disk drive from a Rescue and Recovery backup If you have backed up your hard disk drive using the Rescue and Recovery program, you can restore the hard disk drive from a Rescue and Recovery backup, even if you cannot start the Windows operating system. •...
This section provides instructions on how to create rescue media on different operating systems. • To create a rescue medium on Windows 7, do the following: 1. From the Windows desktop, click Start ➙ All Programs ➙ Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools ➙ Enhanced Backup and Restore. The Rescue and Recovery program opens.
1. Turn on the computer. 2. Use Windows Explorer or My Computer to display the directory structure of your hard disk drive. 3. Go to the C:\SWTOOLS directory. 4. Open the DRIVERS folder. Within the DRIVERS folder, there are several subfolders named for various devices installed in your computer, such as AUDIO or VIDEO.
Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools The Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools program guides you to a host of information sources and provides easy access to various tools to help you work more easily and securely. Note: The Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools program is only available on computers preinstalled with Windows 7 from Lenovo.
Read and understand all safety information before using this product. Lenovo Web site (http://www.lenovo.com) The Lenovo Web site provides up-to-date information and services to help you buy, upgrade, and maintain your computer. You can also do the following: •...
You must retain your proof of purchase to obtain warranty service. For a list of the Lenovo Support phone numbers for your country or region, go to http://support.lenovo.com and click Support phone list or refer to the ThinkStation Safety and Warranty Guide that is provided with your computer.
To determine whether your computer is eligible for International Warranty Service and to view a list of the countries where service is available, go to http://support.lenovo.com, click Product & Service Warranty, and follow the instructions on the screen.
Command Function Display product-identification code Factory ROM checksum test Internal memory test Firmware ID Reserved ID Low speaker volume Low speaker volume Medium speaker volume High speaker volume Internal speaker off Internal speaker on until carrier detected Internal speaker always on Internal speaker on until carrier detected and off while dialing Included for compatibility only, provides no effect Return to Data Mode...
Command Function &D0 Modem ignores the DTR signal &D_ &D1 Modem returns to Command Mode after DTR toggle &D2 Modem hangs up, returns to the Command Mode after DTR toggle &D3 Resets modem after DTR toggle &F_ &F Recall factory default configuration &G_ &G0 Guard tone disabled...
Fax Class 2 commands +FCLASS=n Services class. +FAA=n Adaptive answer. +FAXERR Fax error value. +FBOR Phase C data bit order. +FBUF? Buffer size (read only). +FCFR Indicate confirmation to receive. +FCLASS= Service class. Facsimile connection response. +FCON +FCIG Set the polled station identification. Report the polled station identification.
Lenovo representative for information on the products and services currently available in your area. Any reference to a Lenovo product, program, or service is not intended to state or imply that only that Lenovo product, program, or service may be used. Any functionally equivalent product, program, or service that does not infringe any Lenovo intellectual property right may be used instead.
A Lenovo possui um canal específico para auxiliá-lo no descarte desses produtos. Caso você possua um produto Lenovo em situação de descarte, ligue para o nosso SAC ou encaminhe um e-mail para: email@example.com, informando o modelo, número de série e cidade, a fim de enviarmos as instruções para o correto descarte do seu produto Lenovo.
Customer participation is important to minimize any potential effects of batteries and accumulators on the environment and human health due to the potential presence of hazardous substances. For proper collection and treatment, go to: http://www.lenovo.com/lenovo/environment Appendix C. Notices...