MG5200 series INTRODUCTION [ How to use this Service Manual ] This manual is intended to solve printer problems smoothly, with each section representing the typical service procedures, as shown below. Troubleshooting Identify the problem, and handle it accordingly. Repair When a part needs to be replaced, see this section.
MG5200 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 1. TROUBLESHOOTING 1-1. Troubleshooting by Symptom 1-2. Operator Call Error Troubleshooting 1-3. Service Call Error Troubleshooting 2. REPAIR 2-1. Major Replacement Parts and Adjustment 2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures (1) External housing removal (2) Cable wiring and connection (3) Emblem removal (4) Carriage unlocking (5) ASF unit removal...
5. APPENDIX 5-1. Customer Maintenance 5-2. Special Tools 5-3. Sensors 5-4. Serial Number Location 6. MACHINE TRANSPORTATION <TABLE OF CONTENTS>...
MG5200 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 1. TROUBLESHOOTING 1-1. Troubleshooting by Symptom Symptom Solution Faulty operation The power does not turn on. (1) Confirm cable connection: The power turns off - DC harness ass'y immediately after power-on. - Power switch harness ass'y =>...
Improper color hue. - No remainder of the outer film (the air- through must be opened) - Whether the ink tank is Canon-genuine one or not - Whether the ink tank is refilled one or not - Re-setting of an ink tank (2) Remove foreign material from the purge unit caps, if any.
(5) Perform print head alignment. (6) Replace the following item(s): - Print head , and ink tanks - Logic board ass'y - Purge drive system unit - Carriage unit Paper gets smeared. (1) Clean the inside of the machine. (2) Perform bottom plate cleaning. (3) Perform paper feed roller cleaning.
- Scanner unit - Logic board ass'y Streaks or smears on the (1) Clean the platen glass and the document scanned image. pressure sheet. (2) Confirm the position of the document pressure sheet. (3) Replace the following item(s): - Scanner unit - Document pressure sheet - Logic board ass'y Network connection problem No printing.
1-2. Operator Call Error (by Alarm LED Lit in Orange) Troubleshooting Errors and warnings are displayed by the following ways: 1. Operator call errors are indicated by the Alarm LED lit in orange, and the error and its solution are displayed on the LCD in text and by icon.
for plain paper only. Paper jam.  The paper is Remove the jammed - Pick-up arm unit jammed. Clear the paper and press the OK - ASF unit Paper jam in the  paper and press button. - Pressure roller ass'y rear guide.
Multiple ink  U071 More than one ink Replace the wrong ink - Ink tank tanks of the tank of the following tank(s) with the correct same color color is installed. one(s). installed. Ink tank in a  U072 Some ink tanks are Install the ink tank(s) in - Ink tank wrong position.
(not printed). Failed in  Auto head align has Press the OK button to - Carriage unit automatic print failed. Press [OK] clear the error, then - Print head head alignment. and repeat operation. perform the automatic - Purge drive system <See manual>...
Press the OK button to clear the error. Premium  Cannot print the Non-genuine ink tanks - Ink tank Contents print data. are installed. Install the error. supported (Canon- genuine) ink tanks. 9 / 62...
1-3. Service Call Error (by Cyclic Blinking of Alarm and Power LEDs) Troubleshooting Service call errors are indicated by the number of cycles the Alarm and Power LEDs blink, and the corresponding error code with the message, "Printer error has occurred. Turn off power then back on again. If problem persists, see the manual."...
4 times Purge cam [5C00] (1) Foreign material around the purge drive - Purge drive sensor error system unit: system unit Remove foreign material. - Logic board ass'y (2) Cable connection: - LF encoder cable - PE sensor cable - Paper feed relay harness ass'y - Paper feed motor harness ass'y Re-connect the cable.
(2) Burn mark or heat deformation of the logic board: If a burn mark or heat deformation is seen on the logic board, replace the print head and the logic board in set. (Be sure to replace them at the same time.) (3) Head contact pin condition of the carriage unit:...
for Preventive Replacement of the Ink Absorber." (2) Jammed paper in the under guide: Remove the jammed paper. 15 times USB host Vbus  (1) Part replacement: overcurrent Replace the logic board ass'y. 16 times Pump roller [5C20] (1) Cable connection - Purge drive sensor error Re-connect the cable.
scanner unit. (4) Document pressure sheet conditions: Re-attach the document pressure sheet, or replace it. FB motor error  (1) Cable connection: - Scanner unit - J900, J1002, J704 Re-connect the cable. 23 times Valve cam [6C10] (1) Foreign material around the purge drive - Purge drive sensor error system unit:...
MG5200 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 2. REPAIR 2-1. Major Replacement Parts and Adjustment Adjustment / settings / operation Recommended removal procedure / Notes on Service part check replacement Logic board (1) Operation panel cover In the service mode: ass'y (2) Side cover R 1.
from stain or damage. When returning the strap, make in Service Mode, for details.] sure of its orientation (left and right, front and back). - See 2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures, (7) In the user mode: Carriage unit removal, for details. 3.
(14) Right chassis (15) Front chassis (16) Main chassis (together with the carriage unit and pressure roller ass'y) (17) Spur unit (18) Platen unit (19) Cassette feed roller unit (20) Duplex paper feed roller unit (21) Cassette feed guide (22) Paper guide unit (23) Paper feed roller unit (24) Purge drive system unit Pulley holder...
(12) Right chassis (together with the card board ass'y and PictBridge board unit) In the service mode: (13) Timing slit strip film 2. Print the nozzle check pattern. 3. Perform LF / Eject correction - Upon contact with the film, wipe the film with (only when uneven printing or ethanol.
General notes: - Make sure that the flexible cables and wires in the harness are in the proper position and connected correctly. See 2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures or the Parts Catalog for details. - Do not drop the ferrite core, which may cause damage. - Protect electrical parts from damage due to static electricity.
MG5200 series --- 2. REPAIR TABLE OF CONTENTS 2-2. Disassembly & Reassembly Procedures Be sure to protect the machine from static electricity in repair servicing, especially for the logic board. Some of the photos are of other models as a sample. (1) External housing removal 1) Remove the cassette.
Release all the other claws, and lift the operation panel cover. 4) Remove the side cover R. Remove 2 screws from the back side of the Release the claw on the front by pulling the side machine. cover R outward at the triangle mark. 21 / 62...
5) Remove the side cover L. Remove 2 screws from the back side of the Pass the flat-blade screwdriver through the hole machine. to press and release the claw. Disengage the scanner stay. 22 / 62...
6) Remove the operation panel unit. Release the claw on the back side of the Lift the cover to remove it from the unit. operation rear top cover. Remove 5 screws and the panel cable. 23 / 62...
7) Remove the LCD unit. Remove 2 screws from the back side of the unit. Disconnect the LCD cable ass'y. Separate a set of the LCD hinge and LCD from the unit. 24 / 62...
8) Remove the scanner unit. Disconnect two harnesses and one FFC. Remove one core. 25 / 62...
9) Remove the main case. Remove 2 screws. Remove 1 screw on the right side. Release the claw on the left side. 26 / 62...
(10) Remove the sub-case unit and the ASF cover unit. Release the claw on the back right. Release the claw on the back left. Disconnect the PE sensor cable. 27 / 62...
(2) Cable wiring and connection 1) Wiring on the right side with the bottom case without the bottom case 2) Wiring on the left side with the bottom case without the bottom case 28 / 62...
(3) Emblem removal Push the emblem bottom to remove from the double-sided adhesive tape. (4) Carriage unlocking Rotate the drive unit gear toward the back of the Slide the carriage to the left (the opposite of the machine to unlock the carriage. home position).
(5) ASF unit removal Remove 2 screws from the right plate. Remove 1 screw from the left plate. (6) Right chassis removal Remove a set of the wireless LAN board ass'y Remove 2 screws. and the chassis without separating them. 30 / 62...
(7) Carriage unit removal 1) On the main chassis, mark the positions of the screws that fix the carriage rail to the main chassis (3 points for each screw: the left, right, and center). 2) Remove the timing slit strip film. Remove from the spring side.
4) Remove screws from the carriage rail. Remove the carriage cable holder from the front Remove 3 screws that fix the carriage rail to the chassis. main chassis 5) Remove the carriage unit. Slowly put down the carriage rail. Be cautious that the grease will not attach to any parts.
(8) Spur unit and platen unit removal Remove the ink sensor and the inner cover sensor from the front chassis (1 screw each). From the left and right sides of the spur unit, Then, slowly pull the spur unit upward to remove release the springs (2 on the left side, 1 on the it from the platen unit.
Remove the front chassis (3 screws). Unlock the paper eject roller gear. While raising the front of the platen unit, remove the platen unit from the printer unit. 34 / 62...
(9) Purge drive system unit (right plate) and switch system unit (left plate) removal Remove the cassette feed roller unit. Remove the duplex paper feed roller unit. Disconnect the carriage motor cable. Release the red-circled claws to remove the cassette feed guide. Release the springs on the left and right sides of the paper guide unit.
Remove the screws that fix the units to the main chassis (2 on the right). Remove the screws that fix the units to the main chassis (3 on the left). Separate the main chassis from the switch system unit and the purge drive system unit. Switch system unit Purge drive system unit 36 / 62...
(10) Engine unit reassembly After repair, reassemble each unit of the printer engine on the bottom case in the procedures listed below. Depending on the replaced unit, some steps can be omitted. For specific part names and locations, refer to the Parts Catalog.
(11) Ink absorber replacement If the ink absorber alone needs to be replaced (because the ink absorber becomes full, etc.) and no other engine parts are replaced, the ink absorber can be replaced only by separating the print unit from the bottom case. It is not necessary to disassemble the whole engine unit.
3) Release the ground harness ass'y from the bottom case, and slowly lift the print unit to separate it from the bottom case. Be cautious of the PictBridge chassis. 4) Replace the ink absorber. Confirm that the replaced new ink absorber completely fits in place and is not lifted or dislocated.
MG5200 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 3. ADJUSTMENT / SETTINGS 3-1. Adjustment Adjustment Purpose Method Approx. time EEPROM To initialize settings. 1 min. Service Tool initialization EEPROM Clear Destination To set the machine destination. 1 min. Service Tool settings - At logic board replacement Set Destination section (EEPROM settings)
function check presence of the ink tanks and each ink Test Print in the Print section tank position. - At logic board replacement - At spur unit replacement - At carriage unit replacement LCD language To set the language to be displayed on Set the language in the user 1 min.
3-2. Adjustment and Maintenance in User Mode Function Procedures Remarks Nozzle check Perform via the machine operation Set a sheet of plain paper (A4 or Letter) in the pattern printing panel, or from the printer driver cassette, or the rear tray if selected. Maintenance tab.
3-3. Adjustment and Settings in Service Mode (1) Service mode operation procedures Use the Service Tool on the connected computer. 1) Start the machine in the service mode. i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.) ii.
(2) Service Tool functions Service Tool screen: Version 1.081 Name Function Remarks 1 Test Print Service test print Paper will feed from the rear tray (2 sheets). Service test print: - Model name - ROM version - USB serial number - Process inspection information - Barcode (model name + destination + machine serial number)
2 EEPROM EEPROM information The dialog box opens to select the paper source. Select Rear print tray or Cassette, and click OK. EEPROM information print: - Model name - ROM version - Ink absorber counter value (ink amount in the ink absorber) - Print information - Error information, etc.
(Clear Ink counter resetting Counter) 12 EEPROM EEPROM initialization The following items are NOT initialized, and the shipment Clear arrival flag is not on: - USB serial number - Destination settings - Record of ink absorber counter resetting and setting - Disc label print position correction value - LF / Eject correction values - Left margin correction value...
A4 paper will be used for the pattern printing. - Paper source: Select either Rear tray or Cassette. - Media type: Select one from HR-101, GF-500/Office Planner, HP Bright White, and Canon Extra/STEINBEIS. 2) When printing is finished, the machine returns to be ready for selection of another function ("A function was finished"...
(4) Button and LCD test Confirm the operation after replacement of the panel board or LCD. 1) Button check 1-1) Click Panel Check of the Service Tool. All the LED's on the machine turn on and the LCD turns blue, waiting for a button to be pressed.
2-4) When the Scroll Wheel is rotated counterclockwise 1 round (6 steps, and all the segments are in blue), press the OK button. The color pattern is displayed on the LCD. If there is any segment that is not in blue when the OK button is pressed, the display remains unchanged.
MG5200 series --- 4. ADJUSTMENT / SETTINGS TABLE OF CONTENTS 3-4. Grease Application Number Grease Drawing of drops Part name Where to apply grease / oil Grease amount (mg) Location The surface where the carriage unit Floil 1 Carriage rail 230 to 290 slides KG107A...
- Is the outer film completely removed to open the air-through? - Re-install the ink tanks. - Is the ink tank Canon-genuine or not? - Is the ink tank refilled one or not? 2) Remove and clean any foreign material from the caps of the purge unit.
(3) Carriage unit replacement In the MG5100 series, the carriage rail needs to be removed from the main chassis. Before removing the screws from the carriage rail, put a mark on the main chassis to indicate the carriage rail position. After replacing the carriage, return the carriage rail to the original position while aligning the rail to the mark on the chassis.
(5) Ink absorber counter setting Before replacement of the logic board, check the ink absorber counter value, and register it to the replaced new logic board. (The value can be set in 10% increments.) In addition, according to the "Guideline for Preventive Replacement of Ink Absorber," replace the ink absorber. When the ink absorber is replaced, reset the applicable ink absorber counter (to 0%).
MG5200 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 4. VERIFICATION AFTER REPAIR 4-1. Standard Inspection Flow In each step below, confirm that printing is performed properly and the machine operates properly without any strange noise. EEPROM information print <Check point> - The information must be printed properly. <Additional verification to be made>...
4-3. Ink Absorber Counter Value Print <Print sample> <4. VERIFICATION AFTER REPAIR> 57 / 62...
MG5200 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 5. APPENDIX 5-1. Customer Maintenance Approx. Adjustment Timing Purpose Tool time Automatic - At print head replacement To ensure accurate dot - 1 sheet of MP-101 5 min. print head - When print quality is not placement.
5-3. Sensors Sensor Function Detectable problems Scanner open Detects opening and closing of the - The carriage does not move to the center even sensor scanning unit (cover). when the scanning unit is opened. Inner cover sensor Detects opening and closing of the - The inner cover is open when it should be inner cover.
5-4. Serial Number Location On the inner guide over the upper portion of the spur holder (visible when the scanning unit (cover) is opened). When the machine power is OFF. When the machine power is ON. <5. APPENDIX> 61 / 62...
MG5200 series TABLE OF CONTENTS 6. MACHINE TRANSPORTATION This section describes the procedures for transporting the machine for returning after repair, etc. 1) In the service mode, press the ON button to finish the mode, and confirm that the paper lifting plate of the rear tray is raised.