DOLBY DIGITAL can be used when playing DVD or LD software bearing
mark and DOLBY DIGITAL format digital broadcasts (etc.).
DOLBY PRO LOGIC and DOLBY 3 STEREO can be used when playing
video, DVD, or LD software bearing the
• Turn ON related components.
• Complete "Preparing for surround sound" (speaker settings).
• Use the INPUT SELECTOR to select the component you wish to
playback with surround sound.
• Use the INPUT MODE key to select the input mode (analog or
digital) for the source you wish to play back.
Start playing the video software.
Press the LISTEN MODE key to select the listening mode.
The listening mode settings are stored separately for each input. If
the input mode is set to digital auto ("AUTO SOUND" lights), the
receiver selects the optimal listening mode automatically based on
the type of input signal and the speaker settings.
Each press of the LISTEN MODE key switches the setting as
The listening mode settings are different depending on the type
of input signal.
When the DOLBY DIGITAL signal is input:
(The DOLBY DIGITAL, PROLOGIC, or 3 STEREO indicator lights up.)
1 DOLBY DIGITAL: DOLBY DIGITAL surround
2 PRO LOGIC: PRO LOGIC surround
3 3 STEREO: 3-STEREO surround
4 STEREO: Normal stereo playback
When you select DOLBY DIGITAL
When the analog signal or the digital signal except for the
DOLBY DIGITAL signal is input:
1 PRO LOGIC: PRO LOGIC surround (The PRO LOGIC
indicator lights up.)
2 3 STEREO: 3-STEREO surround (The 3 STEREO indica-
tor lights up.)
3 STEREO: Normal stereo playback
• If a Dolby Digital signal having more channels than the maximum
number of playback channels available using the receiver's cur-
rent setting is input, the DOWN MIX indicator on the front panel
lights up and downmixing is performed to match the number of
Adjust the volume.
• Depending on the type of the signal or speaker setting, some listening
modes cannot be selected.
• When playback is started, the sound may be cut or interrupted before
the input source is confirmed as Dolby Digital.
• To enjoy Dolby Digital surround (as well as all the other listening
modes) from a single component, be sure to use a Dolby Digital
compatible source component. Connect the Dolby Digital compatible
source component's Dolby Digital format digital audio signal to one
of the DIGITAL INPUT jacks on the back of the receiver. Connect the
normal audio signal correctly to the respective component's AUDIO