KS - AX5700
KS - AX5500
POWER AMPLIFIER: INSTRUCTIONS
AMPLIFICATEUR DE PUISSANCE: MANUEL D'INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for purchasing a JVC product. Please read all instructions carefully before operation, to ensure
your complete understanding and to obtain the best possible performance from the unit.
• Do not raise the volume level too much, as this will block outside sounds, making driving dangerous.
• Stop the car before performing any complicated operations.
CAUTIONS AND NOTES
This unit is designed to operate on 12 V DC, NEGATIVE ground electrical systems.
• This unit uses BTL (Balanced Trans-formerless) ampliﬁ er circuitry, i.e., ﬂ oating ground system,
so please comply with the following:
Do not connect the "·" terminals of the speakers to each other.
Do not connect the "·" terminals of the speakers to the metal body or chassis.
• Cover the unused terminals with insulating tape to prevent them from short circuiting.
• When an extension lead is used, it should be as thick and short as possible; connect it ﬁ rmly
with insulating tape.
• Be sure to leave an appropriate space between the antenna (aerial) and the wires of this unit.
• When replacing the fuse, only use a 40 A fuse.
• Do not let pebbles, sand or metallic objects get inside the unit.
• To keep the heat dissipation mechanism running effectively, wipe the accumulated dust off periodically.
• Listening to the tape, radio, CD or MD, etc. with the volume on loud for a long period of time will
exhaust the battery, while the engine is turned off or while the engine is idling.
• This unit becomes very hot. Be careful not to touch the unit not only when using but for a while
DO NOT disassemble the units since there are no user serviceable parts inside.
For Customer Use:
Enter below the Model No. and Serial No. which
are located on the top or bottom of the cabinet.
Retain this information for future reference.
The following illustration shows a typical installation. However, you should make adjustments
corresponding to your speciﬁ c car. If you have any questions or require information regarding
installation kits, consult your "JVC IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT" car audio dealer or a company
A Mount on a ﬁ rm surface, such as in the trunk room or under the front seat.
• Since heat is generated in this unit, do not mount near inﬂ ammable objects. In addition,
mount in an area that will not prevent the unit from dissipating heat.
• Do not mount the unit in the places subject to heat such as near a radiator, in a glove
compartment or in insulated areas such as under a car mat that will prevent the unit from
B When mounting this unit, be sure to use the screws provided. If any other screws are used,
there is a risk of loosening the unit or damaging parts inside it.
• Before drilling holes in the trunk to install the unit, make sure that there is a sufﬁ cient space
under the trunk so that you do not drill holes in the fuel tank, etc.
C After install the unit, attach the terminal cover.
When making the terminal connections...
Properly ﬁ x the terminal with the screw provided by turning it in the
direction as illustrated.
When you tighten the screw, make sure that the screw is securely ﬁ xed in
place to prevent disconnection of the terminal. Avoid over-tightening as it
may cause damage to the screw or its head slot.
To prevent short circuits while making connections, keep the battery's negative terminal
• When using a power cord, be sure to place the 40 A fuse near the battery as shown.
• Connect the lead wire (purchased separately) through which power is supplied directly to the
battery's "ª" terminal only after all the other connections have been made.
The lead wire connected to the + B terminal of this unit should have a cross-section of more
than 8 mm
. Be sure to use a ring terminal (optional) for secure connection.
• If you have any questions regarding the thickness of the power cord, etc., consult your nearest
"JVC IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT" car audio dealer.
When you use JVC car receiver with a remote lead (a), connect to the REM terminal on this
When connecting a unit without a remote lead (b), connect to the accessory circuit of the car
which is activated by the ignition switch. In this case, noise may occur when the car receiver is
turned on or off. To avoid this noise, do not turn on or off the car receiver itself. You can turn on or
off the car receiver along with the on/off operation of the ignition switch.
If the POWER/PROTECTOR lamp lights in red, it indicates incorrect speaker wiring or
connections. In normal status, the POWER/PROTECTOR lamp lights in green. Make sure to
correct speaker wiring and other connections.
This ampliﬁ er provides two types of speaker connections: Normal mode and Bridge mode. You
can choose either type of connections depending on the speakers conﬁ guration equipped on
Make sure to comply with the following notes:
• Be sure not to connect the "·" terminals of the speakers to a common point.
• If the ground wire is common to both left/right and front/rear speaker wirings, this unit cannot be
used. Always use the independent lead wires for the speakers to be used. In this case, redo the
• Use the speakers with an impedance of 2 Ω to 8 Ω (4 Ω to 8 Ω: when used in Bridge mode).
• Use the speakers which have sufﬁ cient power to the unit.
© 2005 Victor Company of Japan, Limited