KS - AX4504
KS - AX4302
POWER AMPLIFIER: INSTRUCTIONS
AMPLIFICATEUR DE PUISSANCE: MANUEL D'INSTRUCTIONS
Thank you for purchasing a JVC product. Please read all instructions carefully before operation,
to ensure your complete understanding and to obtain the best possible performance from the unit.
• Do not raise the volume level too much, as this will block outside sounds, making driving dangerous.
• Stop the car before performing any complicated operations.
CAUTIONS AND NOTES
This unit is designed to operate on 12 V DC, NEGATIVE ground electrical systems.
• This unit uses BTL (Balanced Transformerless) ampliﬁ er circuitry, i.e., ﬂ oating ground system,
so please comply with the following:
Do not connect the "·" terminals of the speakers to each other.
Do not connect the "·" terminals of the speakers to the metal body or chassis.
• Cover the unused terminals with insulating tape to prevent them from short circuiting.
• When an extension lead is used, it should be as thick and short as possible; connect it ﬁ rmly
with insulating tape.
• Be sure to leave an appropriate space between the antenna (aerial) and the wires of this unit.
• When replacing the fuse, only use a 25 A fuse for KS-AX4504 or a 20 A fuse for KS-AX4302.
• Do not let pebbles, sand or metallic objects get inside the unit.
• To keep the heat dissipation mechanism running effectively, wipe the accumulated dust off periodically.
• Listening to the tape, radio, CD or Digital Audio Player, etc. with the volume set at a high level
for a long period of time will exhaust the battery, while the engine is turned off or while the
engine is idling.
• This unit becomes very hot. Be careful not to touch the unit not only when using but for a while
DO NOT disassemble the units since there are no user serviceable parts inside.
For Customer Use:
Enter below the Model No. and Serial No. which are located on the top or bottom of the
cabinet. Retain this information for future reference.
The following illustration shows a typical installation. However, you should make adjustments
corresponding to your speciﬁ c car. If you have any questions or require information regarding
installation kits, consult your "JVC IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT" car audio dealer or a company
supplying the kits.
A Mount this unit on a ﬁ rm surface, such as in the trunk room or under the front seat.
• Since heat is generated in the unit, do not mount it near inﬂ ammable objects. In addition,
mount it in an area that will not prevent the unit from dissipating the heat.
• Do not mount the unit in the places subject to heat: near a radiator, in a glove compartment
or in insulated areas such as under a car mat that will prevent the unit from dissipating heat.
• When mounting the unit under the front seat, make sure that adjusting the seat position will
not catch any wire of the unit.
B When mounting this unit, be sure to use the provided screws. If any other screws are used,
there is a risk of loosening the unit or damaging parts inside it.
• Before drilling holes in the trunk to install the unit, make sure that there is a sufﬁ cient space
under the trunk so that you do not drill holes in the fuel tank, etc.
• To detach and rotate the Logo Plate 180 degrees, use the provided hex wrench (3 mm).
Logo Plate (detachable)
When making the terminal connections...
Peel the insulating vinyl cover of a cord 7 mm (
in.) long and expose the inside conductor.
Loosen the hex screw in a terminal with a provided hex wrench
and insert the conductor into the terminal. Then ﬁ x the hex screw
again to secure the conductor.
• The exposed conductor should be 7 mm (
– If shorter, it may cause a poor conductivity.
– If longer, it may cause a short circuit.
• Use a proper hex wrench for each terminal.
– 4 mm: +B terminal and GND terminal
– 3 mm: Speaker terminals of KS-AX4302 and REM terminal
– 2 mm: Speaker terminals of KS-AX4504
To prevent short circuits while making connections, keep the battery's negative terminal
• When using a power cord (purchased separately), be sure to place the 30 A fuse near the
battery as shown.
• Connect the lead wire (power cord) through which power is supplied directly to the battery's
"ª" terminal only after all the other connections have been made.
The proper lead wire connected to each POWER terminal is as follows.
• + B and GND: AWG 8 to AWG 4 (The cross section is about 8 mm
• REM: AWG 18 to AWG 8 (The cross section is about 0.8 mm
• If you have any questions regarding the thickness of the power cord, etc., consult your nearest
"JVC IN-CAR ENTERTAINMENT" car audio dealer.
a When you use JVC car receiver with a remote lead, connect to the REM terminal on this
b When you connect a unit without a remote lead, connect to the accessory circuit of the
car which is activated by the ignition switch. In this case, noise may occur when the car
receiver is turned on or off. To avoid this noise, do not turn on or off the car receiver itself.
You can turn on or off the car receiver along with the on/off operation of the ignition switch.
If the POWER/PROTECTOR lamp lights in red, it indicates incorrect speaker wiring or
connections (see "TROUBLESHOOTING" on page 3). Make sure to correct speaker wiring and
This ampliﬁ er provides two types of speaker connections: Normal Mode and Bridge Mode. You
can choose either type of connections depending on the speakers conﬁ guration equipped on
Make sure to comply with the following notes:
• Be sure not to connect the "·" terminals of the speakers to a common point.
• If the ground wire is common to both left/right and front/rear speaker wirings, this unit cannot be
used. Always use the independent lead wires for the speakers to be used. In this case, redo the
• Use the speakers with an impedance of 2 Ω to 8 Ω (4 Ω to 8 Ω: when used in Bridge Mode).
• Use the speakers which have sufﬁ cient capacity to the unit.
The proper lead wire connected to each SPEAKER OUTPUT terminal is as follows.
• KS-AX4504: AWG 18 to AWG 12 (The cross section is about 0.8 mm
• KS-AX4302: AWG 18 to AWG 8 (The cross section is about 0.8 mm
When you connect 4 speakers to the unit, down mixed signals (front and rear) are emitted
through the PRE OUT jacks.
Incoming signals are emitted through the PRE OUT jacks.
© 2007 Victor Company of Japan, Limited
in.) to 10 mm
in.) to 10 mm (
to 21 mm
to 8 mm
to 3.3 mm
to 8 mm