To customers who have purchased a Canon DR-2050SP Document Scanner: If you plan to use the document scanner in the Presentation mode, you should read this manual together with the DR-2050SP User’s Guide Presentation Mode Edition.
Classe B prescrites dans la norme sur le matériel brouilleur: “Appareils Numériques”, NMB-003 édictée par l’Industrie Canada. MODEL NAMES Model DR-2050C is identical to model M11055. Model DR-2050C is the sales name of model M11055. Model DR-2050SP is identical to model M11060. Model DR-2050SP is the sales name of model M11060.
AMENDMENT TO THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE EFFECTIVE UNLESS SIGNED BY A DULY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF CANON. Should you have any questions concerning this Agreement, or if you desire to contact Canon for any reason, please write to Canon’s local affiliate.
The standards and logos are uniform among participating nations. Trademarks • Canon and the Canon logo are registered trademarks of Canon Inc. in the United States and may also be trademarks or registered trademarks in other countries. • Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
The following manuals are provided with the Canon DR-2050C/DR-2050SP Document Scanner. Make sure to read the manuals before attempting to use the scanner. If you plan to use the DR-2050SP in Presentation mode, you should read this manual together with the DR-2050SP User’s Guide Presentation Mode Edition.
Symbols Used in This Manual The following symbols are used in this manual to explain procedures, restrictions, handling precautions, and instructions that should be observed for safety. WARNING Indicates a warning concerning operations that may lead to death or injury to persons if not performed correctly. To use the machine safely, always pay attention to these warnings.
1. Important Safety Instructions ............. 6 Installation Location ..............6 Power ..................7 Moving the Scanner ..............7 Remote Control (DR-2050SP only) ......... 8 Handling .................. 8 Disposal ................10 2. Features ................... 11 3. Names and Functions of Parts ..........13 4.
2. Removing and Attaching the Rollers ........62 Roller Replacement Cycle ............ 62 Resetting the Counter ............63 Removing and Attaching the Feed Roller ......65 Removing and Attaching the Retard Roller ......68 3. Troubleshooting ............... 72 The Scanner Does Not Turn ON ........... 72 The Scanner Is Not Recognized ...........
1. Important Safety Instructions ....6 Installation Location ........6 Power ............7 Moving the Scanner ........7 Remote Control (DR-2050SP only) ..... 8 Handling ............8 Disposal ............. 10 2. Features ..........11 3. Names and Functions of Parts ..13 4.
1. Important Safety Instructions To ensure the safe operation of this scanner, be sure to read the safety warnings and precautions described below. Installation Location The performance of this scanner is affected by the environment in which it is installed. Make sure that the location where the scanner is installed meets the following environmental requirements.
Model: MG1-3607 • If you have any questions regarding the power supply, contact your local authorized Canon dealer or service representative for further information. Moving the Scanner • When moving the scanner, always hold it with both hands to avoid dropping it.
Remote Control (DR-2050SP only) • Do not leave the remote control on the floor, as damage may result if it is stepped on. • Do not disassemble the remote control. • Take care not to misplace the remote control. • Do not drop or cause physical shock to the remote control.
OFF, and disconnect the power plug from the power outlet. Then, contact your local authorized Canon dealer or the service representative for further information. • Do not drop the scanner, or subject it to impact or strong shock.
• When disposing of this scanner, be sure to follow all local ordinances and laws or consult with the retailer who sold you the scanner. • If you are using the DR-2050SP, make sure to comply with local regulations when disposing of batteries used for the remote control.
2. Features The main features of the DR-2050C/DR-2050SP document scanner are described below. Compact Configuration The scanner has a very compact configuration, measuring only 11.7" (298 mm) (W) × 7.7" (197 mm) (H) × 3.9" (100 mm) (D). The small footprint of this standup vertical scanner saves space.
The scanner can project scanned images onto a screen from a projector directly connected to the scanner without using a computer. For more details see the DR-2050SP User’s Guide Presentation Mode Edition. Note Certain functions may not be available depending on the software you are using.
This section describes the name and function of each part. Make sure to read this section and familiarize yourself with the parts of the scanner before using the scanner. For part names and their functions of the DR-2050SP, see the DR- 2050SP User’s Guide Presentation Mode Edition.
Back/Left Side Ventilation Openings USB Connector Connect the included USB cable or one that supports Hi-Speed USB 2.0. Power Connector Connect the AC adapter that is provided with the scanner. Power Switch Turns the scanner Kensington Slot ON and OFF. Used for anti-theft measures.
4. Installation Requirements To use the DR-2050C/DR-2050SP, your computer must satisfy the following system requirements. • One of the following operating systems: - Microsoft Windows 98SE - Microsoft Windows Me - Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP4 or later - Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 or later - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2 or later •...
• Even if the computer satisfies the recommended specifications, the scanning speed may vary, depending on the scan settings. • The ISIS/TWAIN Drivers provided with the scanner do not necessarily operate on all ISIS- or TWAIN-compatible applications. For details, contact your application software retailer.
5. About the Setup Disc The Canon DR-2050 series scanner setup disc contains the software listed below: • DR-2050C Driver Scanner driver for use with the DR-2050C/DR-2050SP scanner, and the Job Registration Tool. • CapturePerfect 3.0 ISIS-compatible application developed for Canon document scanners.
Chapter 2 Using the Scanner 1. Documents .......... 20 2. Preparing the Trays ......21 Setting Up the Document Feed Tray ..21 Using the Document Guide Adapter ..22 Using the Feed Extension Plate ....22 3. Placing a Documents ......23 How to Feed with the Page Separation Mode ........
1. Documents This scanner can scan documents ranging in size from business cards and checks to LTR/A4 size documents. The size of documents that can be scanned is shown below. For Page Separation mode (continuous feed) (See “How to Feed with the Page Separation Mode,”...
2. Preparing the Trays Prepare the document feed tray in accordance with the document size and type. Setting Up the Document Feed Tray Pull the document feed tray towards you to open it. In the case of a short document, open the upper cover. Using the Scanner...
Using the Document Guide Adapter When a document becomes skewed during scanning or when scanning a document that is folded in half (See p. 27.), install the document guide adapter on the document guide to keep the document from becoming skewed. Install the document guide adapter by positioning it as shown in the illustration.
3. Placing a Documents There are two methods for paper separation, called the Page Separation mode and Bypass mode for feeding documents. Feeding documents continuously from a stack of documents placed in the feed tray is called the Page Separation mode.
Adjust the document guide to the width of the document being scanned. IMPORTANT Do not hold the tips of the document guide adaptor when installing it. Doing so can damage the document tray. Fan the stack of documents to be scanned, and then angle the stack as shown in the illustration so the top edge of the first page is the lowest.
Set the document in the scanner with the back of the document facing forward and its top edge facing downwards. IMPORTANT The document sheet capacity is 50 sheets of non-curled sheets. Note, however, that the capacity is less when document pages are not being fed correctly. Adjust the document guides so they match the width of the document.
How to Feed with the Bypass Mode Raise the feed selection lever (Bypass mode). Bypass mode Page Separation mode Adjust the document guide to the width of the document being scanned. Start scanning from the application. Set the document in the scanner with the back of the document facing forward and its top edge facing downwards.
Scanning Folio (Folded Document) The scanner uses a folio scanning method to scan documents that are bigger than LTR/A4 size (maximum A3 size). To do folio scanning, fold the document in half and place it on the scanner. Both sides of the folded document are scanned and combined into a single image.
For details on how to install each application and the driver, see the Easy Start Guide. Using CapturePerfect 3.0 CapturePerfect 3.0 is an ISIS-compatible application developed for Canon document scanners. CapturePerfect 3.0 includes the following modes. Select the desired scan mode from the scan menu to perform scanning.
Projector The scanned image is projected onto the screen. DR-2050C/ DR-2050SP Scan to Presentation Mode Scan to Presentation Mode Note For instructions on how to use CapturePerfect 3.0, see the CapturePerfect 3.0 Operation Guide and CapturePerfect Help.
CapturePerfect 3.0 starts up. Follow the procedure below to select the Canon DR-2050C document scanner as the scanner to be used. 1. On the [Scan] menu, click [Select Scanner]. Using the Scanner...
2. Select [CANON DR-2050C] click the [OK] button. Note If [CANON DR-2050C] is not displayed in the list of scanners, re-install the ISIS/TWAIN driver. (See “Step 3. Installing the Software” in the Easy Start Guide.) 3. Set the “Default Page Size”.
Set the scan settings. For details setting the scanning settings, see “ISIS Driver Settings,” on p. 50, and ISIS/TWAIN Driver Help. Place your document. (See “Placing a Documents,” on p. 23.) On the [Scan] menu, select [Scan Batch to File]. Using the Scanner...
The [Scan Batch to File Setting] dialog box opens. For more details on how to scan documents, see the CapturePerfect Operation Guide and CapturePerfect Help. Specify the file name and the file type for saving the image data, and click [Save] to start scanning.
(mail server) (network) Launcher Scan button The specified application is DR-2050C/ started up. DR-2050SP Using the Scanner...
When [Launcher] is selected, events must be set. (See “Setting the Event Function,” on p. 37.) Click the [Start] button, and then click [Programs] ([All Programs] if you are using Windows XP) [Canon DR-2050C] [Job Registration Tool]. The Job Registration Tool starts up. Note •...
Set up the Job Registration Tool. For details on setting up the Job Registration Tool, refer to “Job Registration Tool Settings” (See p. 54.) and the Job Registration Tool Help. Note • You can register jobs for numbers 1 through 10. •...
“Monitor for DR2050C” is displayed and the scan is executed. When there are no more document sheets, the image data is transferred according to the specified conditions. [Sending complete] is displayed on the “Monitor for DR2050C.” Click [Close] to close the “Monitor for DR2050C.” Setting the Event Function By setting [Events], you select the application to be started up when [Launcher] is selected in Job Registration Tool.
2. For Windows XP, switch the Control Panel to Classic View, or select [Printers and Other Hardware] in the working field. Control Panel (category view) Printers and Other Hardware Control Panel (classic view) 3. Click [Scanners and Cameras]. Using the Scanner...
4. Select [CANON DR-2050C USB], and then click [Properties]. 5. Click the [Events] tab. Using the Scanner...
At [Send to this application] unmark the applications that are not to be started up, and click [Apply]. Click [OK] to close [CANON DR-2050C USB Properties]. Restart Windows to enable the new settings for the event function. Using the Scanner...
Note • When two or more applications are marked at [Send to this application], the application selection dialog box will be displayed when [Launcher] in the [Job Tools] dialog box is selected, and the [Scan] button is clicked. • Certain applications may not run normally when started as an event. •...
5. Clearing a Paper Jam When paper jams occur during scanning, use the following procedure to clear them. CAUTION When removing jammed paper, take care not to cut your hands on the edges of the paper. Remove any documents from the document feed tray. Pressing the OPEN knob from both sides (a), pull the front unit forward to open it (b).
IMPORTANT If you are removing the document manually, make sure to remove the document carefully, by pulling on it steadily and without applying too much force. Should the paper tear, make sure to remove any torn pieces remaining in the scanner. Gently press the left and right sides of the top of the Front Unit.
6. Scanning Hints This section describes helpful hints for setting up and using your scanner. Refer to these hints when you set up the ISIS/TWAIN driver. For more details on items not described in this section, see “Software Settings,” on p. 49. Scanning Double-sided Documents •...
Scanning Multiple Documents • I want to divide a document that cannot be placed all at once into multiple stacks and scan them as a single file Set the “Feeding Option” in the Scanner Settings to [Automatic Feeding]. When the scanner detects a document, scanning starts automatically, and you can continue scanning batches until your job is complete.
Scanning Documents Containing Blank Sheets • I want to skip blank sheets contained in a document stack. Set “Scanning Side” to [Skip blank page]. [Double-sided scanning] is not performed, and blank pages are skipped. See “ISIS Driver Settings g,” on p. 50, and “TWAIN Driver Settings g,” on p.
Adjusting Scanned Image • I want to enhance text on a document with a dark background Set “Mode” to [Text Enhancement]. The background of the document is removed to enhance the text. See “ISIS Driver Settings b,” on p. 50, and “TWAIN Driver Settings b,” on p.
Prescan Function • I want to preview the image before I scan it For the ISIS driver, check the [Prescan] checkbox. The Prescan window is displayed when scanning starts. See “ISIS Driver Settings k,” on p. 50. For the TWAIN driver, check the [Prescan] checkbox and click [Preview]. One sheet of the document is scanned, and the Prescan window is displayed.
7. Software Settings This section describes the setting items when setting the ISIS driver, TWAIN driver, and Job Registration Tool. For a more detailed description, read the Help files for each item. ISIS Driver Settings.............P. 50 TWAIN Driver Settings............P. 52 Job Registration Tool Settings..........P.
ISIS Driver Settings Save User Preferences Basic Setup Dialog Box Mode * [Contrast] is set automatically when Black and White is selected, and [Brightness] and [Contrast] are set automatically when Text Enhanced is selected. Page Size * The Smoothing mode options are not displayed when [600 dpi] Dots per inch is selected.
Basic Setup Dialog Box with [Panel-Feeding] or [Automatic Feeding] starts. a User Preference When [Panel] is selected, batch Name and save your settings. separation is performed when the batch Names can consist of up to 32 characters. separation button in the Scan Panel is b Mode clicked.
TWAIN Driver Settings Save User Preferences Basic Setup Dialog Box Mode * [Contrast] is set automatically when Black and White is selected, and [Brightness] and [Contrast] are set automatically when Text Enhanced is selected. Page Size * The Smoothing mode options are not displayed when [600 dpi] Dots per inch is selected.
Basic Setup Dialog Box k Scanning Option Specifies operation during scanning. a User Preference [Standard]: Name and save your settings. after one page has been scanned and b Mode ejected, the next page is scanned. Selects the scanning mode. [Scan Ahead]: [Text Enhanced] and [Advanced Text scans document pages continuously.
Job Registration Tool Settings Job Registration Tool Dialog Box Admin Dialog Box Copy Dialog Box New/Editing Dialog Box Dialog box contents will differ depending on the selected function. Save as file Language for OCR Function PDF/TIFF Settings File type The [Setting] button is enabled when [PDF] or [TIFF] is selected.
Job Registration Tool Dialog Box q Launcher Starts applications set with the Windows a Job list event function. See the user’s guide for Shows the registered jobs. detailed information. The job for the icon ( ) that is colored is executed when the scan button is pressed.
Chapter 3 Appendices 1. Regular Maintenance ......58 Cleaning the Scanner ........ 58 Cleaning Inside the Scanner ..... 58 Cleaning the Scanning Glass and the Rollers ............59 Cleaning the Metal Rollers ......61 2. Removing and Attaching the Rollers 62 Roller Replacement Cycle ......
1. Regular Maintenance Perform the regular maintenance described below to maintain peak scanning quality. CAUTION • When cleaning the scanner or the inside of the scanner, turn OFF the power switch and unplug the power cord from the outlet. • Do not use spray cleaners to clean the scanner. Precision mechanisms inside the scanner may get wet and result in malfunction.
IMPORTANT Scratches on the scanning glass may cause marks on the images and could cause feeding errors. If there are scratches on the scanning glass, contact your local authorized Canon dealer or service representative. Appendices...
Rotate the rollers (a) and (b) as you clean them. Moisten a cloth with plain water, wring out excess water, wipe the rollers and then dry it with a clean dry cloth. Feed Roller Retard Roller Remove the feed roller and retard roller. (See p. 66, p. 69.) IMPORTANT After removing the feed roller and retard roller, clean them and then return them to the scanner.
Cleaning the Metal Rollers Turn on the scanner. Open the document feed tray. Pressing the OPEN knob from both sides (a), pull the front unit forward to open it (b). Use a clean dry cloth to wipe the metal rollers ( parts in the illustration).
When the number of pages scanned exceeds 30,000, a roller replacement message will appear when the computer is started. When you are using the DR-2050SP in the Presentation mode, a message prompting you to change the rollers is displayed after the opening screen when the scanner’s power is turned ON.
Resetting the Counter After replacing the feed rollers, open the [Counter setup] dialog box and reset the counter. Follow the procedure below to open the [Counter setup] dialog box. 1. Click the [Start] button, click [Settings] on the Start menu click [Control Panel].
3. Select [CANON DR-2050C USB], and then click [Properties]. 4. Click the [Counter] tab. Appendices...
Click the [Reset] button, and then make sure that the [Retard and Feed roller] has been set to 0. Removing and Attaching the Feed Roller Follow the procedure below to remove and attach the feed roller for cleaning or replacement. Note When attaching the feed roller during installation, operate the roller fastening lever according to the removal procedure and then attach the feed roller.
Removing the Feed Roller Pressing the OPEN knob from both sides (a), pull the front unit forward to open it (b). Open the roller cover on the scanner side. Insert a finger into the depression in the cover and open it. Raise the roller lock lever (a), and then slide it to the left (b).
Shift the feed roller to the left to separate it from the shaft, and then remove it. Attaching the Feed Roller Set the feed roller into the hollow inside the roller cover, and align the notch in the roller with the scanner shaft. Slide the roller lock lever to the right, and then insert the shaft into the hole on the left side of the roller.
Lower the lever to lock the roller shaft. Close the roller cover. Return the cover fully to its original position until you hear it click into place. Gently press the left and right sides of the top of the Front Unit. Return the unit fully to its original position until you hear it click into place.
CAUTION Do not use excessive force when removing or attaching the rollers. Doing so may damage them. Removing the Retard Roller Pressing the OPEN knob from both sides (a), pull the front unit forward to open it (b). Holding the edges of the roller cover on the inside of the front unit, open the cover.
Shift the Retard Roller to the left to separate it from the shaft, and then remove Attaching the Retard Roller Position the retard roller so the notch in the roller is facing the scanner’s shaft. Slide the roller lock lever to the right, and then insert the shaft into the hole on the left side of the retard roller.
Push the roller lock lever towards the back of the scanner to lock the retard roller in place. Attach the roller cover. Be sure that the upper unit is completely closed by pushing on both edges with both hands until you hear a click. Gently press the left and right sides of the top of the front unit.
Scanning Results Are Not as Expected......P. 75 If, after consulting this section, you still cannot resolve the problem, contact your local authorized Canon dealer or your service representative. The Scanner Does Not Turn ON Check the following if the scanner does not turn on: •...
The scanner does not support your USB interface. Solution This product is not guaranteed to operate with all types of USB interfaces. Contact your local authorized Canon dealer or service representative for more information. (See p. 15.) Problem The scanner does not support the USB cable.
The rollers inside the scanner are dirty or worn. Solution Refer to p. 59 and clean the rollers. If the rollers are worn, then they need to be replaced. Contact your local authorized Canon dealer or service representative to purchase a roller replacement kit.
Paper Is Not Ejected Correctly When you are performing page-by-page scanning while a multi-page document is set in the scanner, scanning pauses with the trailing edge of the scanned sheet being engaged by the eject roller. Problem Under these conditions, the scanner enters a standby state and pauses for the next sheet.
Clean the scanning glass and rollers. If lines still appear on the image even after cleaning the scanning glass and rollers, the scanning glass inside the scanner may be scratched. Contact your local authorized Canon dealer or service representative. (See p. 59.) Appendices...
Windows [Start] button, and then click [Programs] (All Programs in the case of Windows XP) [Canon Document Scanner], and then [DR-2050C & 2080C Adjustment Tool], or use the [Scanner Adjustment] function of the ISIS/ TWAIN driver. Follow the instructions on the dialog box that appears on the screen to adjust the scanner.
4. Uninstalling Software If the ISIS/TWAIN driver, “Job Registration Tool,” and “CapturePerfect 3.0” are not operating normally, follow the procedure below to uninstall them. Then, re-install the software from the DR-2050 series setup disc. (See “Step 3. Installing the Software,” in the Easy Start Guide.) IMPORTANT Be sure to log on as an administrator when using Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP.
The [Add/Remove Programs Properties] dialog box appears. Note For Windows XP, the [Add or Remove Programs] dialog box appears. From the list in the dialog box, select the application you want to delete click [Change/Remove]. For more information on uninstalling each application, see the following: See “Uninstalling the ISIS/TWAIN Driver/Job Registration Tool,”...
Uninstalling the ISIS/TWAIN Driver/Job Registration Tool From the Programs list in the dialog box, select [Canon DR-2050C/2080C Scanner Driver] (or [DR-2050C Job Tool]) click the [Change/Remove] button. The [Confirm File Deletion] screen appears. Click the [Yes] button. The [Remove Shared File ?] dialog box appears.
Click the [Yes] button to start the uninstallation. Note All deleted shared files can be reinstalled by installing the software again. After uninstall is complete, click the [OK] button to exit the uninstaller. Appendices...
Uninstalling CapturePerfect 3.0 Select [CapturePerfect 3.0] from the list in the dialog box click the [Remove] button. The file delete confirmation screen appears. Click the [Yes] button. Uninstallation starts. Appendices...
After uninstallation is complete, click the [Finish] button to exit the uninstaller. Appendices...
5. Specifications Specifications For DR-2050SP Presentation mode specifications, see the DR-2050SP User’s Guide Presentation Mode Edition. Scanner Type Desktop sheetfed scanner Scanning Document Specifications Width: 2.16" to 8.50" (55 mm to 216 mm) Length: (separated documents) 2.75" to 11.6" (70 mm to 297 mm) (nonseparated documents) 2.75"...
Kit to replace the feed rollers (feed roller and retard roller). • For details on replacing the rollers, see “Removing and Attaching the Retard Roller,” on p. 68. • Contact your local authorized Canon dealer for detailed information about replacement parts. Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Index AC adapter ...........7 Job Function ..........34 Job Registration Tool ......35, 49 Bypass Mode ..........26 Kensington Slot ......... 14 CapturePerfect 3.0 ......17, 28, 75 Cleaning .............58 Manuals for the Scanner ......1 Metal Rollers .........61 Moving the Scanner ........7 Rollers ...........59 Scanner ..........58 Names and Functions of Parts ....
CANON ELECTRONICS INC. 1248, SHIMOKAGEMORI, CHICHIBU-SHI, SAITAMA 369-1892, JAPAN CANON U.S.A. INC. ONE CANON PLAZA, LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y. 11042, U.S.A. CANON CANADA INC. 6390 DIXIE ROAD, MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO L5T 1P7, CANADA CANON EUROPA N.V. BOVENKERKERWEG 59-61, P.O.BOX 2262, 1180 EG AMSTELVEEN, THE NETHERLANDS CANON LATIN AMERICA, INC.