Overview of Setup
These are the steps in printer installation.
Mount the Ink Tanks
Install the Printheads
Load Paper to Adjust the Printheads
Install the Software
Store Accessories in the Pocket
How to Display the Electronic
• Even if you do not use the printer driver, be sure to install Media
Configuration Tool from the provided User Software CD-ROM. With
Media Configuration Tool, the paper types that are available in your
area can be registered to the printer. For instructions on installation,
refer to "Install the Software" on page 8. (In Windows, select Install
Individual Software in the Setup Menu window to install Media
Configuration Tool only.)
• We recommend doing a color calibration after completing the setup
to adjust variations in the colors.
Details for each step are given in this Setup Guide. Simply follow the instructions
to install the printer.
If an error message is displayed during setup or other problems occur, refer to
"Responding to Messages" on page 16.
Space Required for Installation
An area that is larger than the dimensions shown below is needed to install
Width and depth
• When using the output stacker in the front ejection position, provide at
least 1400 mm (55 inches) of unobstructed space in front of the printer.
Read this manual before attempting to operate the printer.
Keep this manual in a handy location for future reference.
The Manuals Supplied with This Printer
After installing the printer as shown in this Setup Guide, refer to the
manuals for instructions on operation and maintenance.
The Basic Guide contains the following information:
• Loading paper, Replacing the consumables, Control Panel menus,
• Troubleshooting tips and Error messages
• Preparations for transferring the printer
This guide describes advanced usage of the printer such as paper saving tips,
how to print a poster and banner with the supplied software and print quality
adjusting method, in addition to the basic instructions for printing on roll paper or
Paper Reference Guide
This guide describes about the types and specifications of the available media on
To refer to the electronic manuals Refer to "How to Display the Electronic
f. Ejection support (x4)
b. Roll holder
g. Setup Guide (this document)
c. Set of manuals
h. 3-inch paper core attachment #2
d. Allen wrench
i. 3-inch paper core attachment #1
e. Set of CD-ROMs
j. Power cord
Other documentation may also be included in the package.
• Some items are included with the printer but not described in this
manual. Keep these items in a safe place after setup because they are
used in various printing applications.
• For instructions on the included items not described in this manual, refer
to the User's Guide.
• A cable to connect the printer to a computer is not provided with the
• Canon, the Canon logo, and imagePROGRAF are trademarks or registered trademarks of CANON
• Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
• Windows is a trademark or registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other
• Windows Vista is a trademark or registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or
• Mac, Macintosh, OS X and Bonjour are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other
• All other trademarks or registered trademarks described in this Setup Guide are the property of their
©CANON INC. 2013
k. Printhead (x2)
l. Starter ink tanks (for first-
BK, MBK, C, M, Y, PM,
m. Included paper
PRINTED IN CHINA