System Recovery Media
CAUTION: Although the system
recovery media is designed to preserve
the data files on your computer, it is
recommended that you backup your
data files before using the system
You can use the system recovery media,
created using Dell DataSafe Local Backup, to
return your hard drive to the operating state
it was in when you purchased the computer
while preserving the data files on your
Use the system recovery media in case of:
• Operating system failure that prevents the
use of the recovery options installed on
• Hard drive failure that prevents data from
Restoring Your Operating System
To restore the Dell factory-installed software
of your computer using the system recovery
1. Insert the system recovery disc or USB key
and restart the computer.
2. When the DELL logo appears, press <F12>
NOTE: If you wait too long and the
operating system logo appears, continue
to wait until you see the Microsoft
Windows desktop; then, shut down your
computer and try again.
3. Select the appropriate boot device from
the list and press <Enter>.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen.