SERVICE AND ADJUSTMENTS
PARTS THAT ARE
CHIPPED, CRACKED, BROKEN, OR DAM_
AGED IN ANY OTHER WAY CAN FLY
APART AND CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY.
PARTS BEFORE USING THE UNITo
THE LINE SAVER MUST BE INSTALLED
ONLY FROM THE INSIDE OFTHE HUB. IF
ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE
LINE SAVER CAN FLY OFF
AND BECOME A DANGEROUS MISSILE.
QUALITY LINE. NEVER USE WIRE, ROPE,
USE ONLY SPECIFIED SEARS REPLACE-
MENT PARTS. USE OF OTHER BRANDS
PARTS CAN CAUSE
DAMAGE TO YOUR UNIT OR INJURY TO
THE OPERATOR OR OTHERS.
CAUSED BY USE OF
ACCES SO R IES/ATTACHMENTS
SEARS WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED.
NOTE: If tap button gets knocked
out of the hub,
reassemble parts as follows:
• Remove the cover and spool,
- Place the spring in the hub cylinder.
• Place the tap button over the spring and hub cylinder.
- Align the slots in the tap button with the fins in the base
of the hub.Push parts together
. Reinstall the spool and cover
NEW LINE ON SPOOL
To replace the line on existing spool:
• Follow "installing Spool with Line Already Wound" steps
and remove any line remaining on the spool
- Use a 25 foot length of SEARS .080" diameter line.
o Insert about 1/4 inch of the end of the line through the
hole in the inner rim of the spool, Allow no more than
1/2 inch of line to extend beyond the rim to avoid inter-
ference with tapping action.
• Wrap the line on the spool as shown by the arrow.
NOTE: The line must be wrapped firmly and evenly for
proper line feed.
• Follow "Installing Spool with Line Already Wound"steps
to complete assembly.
° If line breaks off or backs up in the semi-automatic
head, follow "Installing Spool with Line Already Wound"
steps. Pu!l slack in line until the line is tightly wound on
spool, leaving 4-6 inchesof extended line.
ALWAYS CLEAN DIRT AND DEBRIS
FROM SPOOL AND HUB WHEN PERFORMING ANY
(Fig. 22, 23, 24, 25 & 26)
• Hold the semi-automatic head as shown. Press the two
lock tabs and remove cover. Figure 22
• Remove the lock ring, tap button, and spool
• Clean dirt and debris from all parts. Replace the spool
when the square corners on the lugs are rounded off,
reduced in size, or broken off.Figure 23.
• Find "THIS SIDE UP" on spool and catch the line in the
notch in the bottom ring of the spool, leaving about 4
inches of line hanging from the spool.,
• Insert the end of the line through the line saver
• Press spool into the hub, then turn spool enough to lock
lugs under drive gear lugs. Make sure line is not caught
between the rim of the spool and the wall of the hub.
• Align the line and notch with the line exit hole_ Place
spool in hub. Make sure trimmer line is not caught
between the rim of the spool and the hub,
NOTE: To set the spool in the hub, it may be necessary
to pull the line through the line exit hole until the spool
drops into place.
• Align the lock tabs on the cover over the catches on
the hub, Push the cover down onto the hub until the
parts snap together.
• Check to make sure the lock tabs are properly fastened
o Obtain the correct line length (4-6 inches) by pressing
on the line agaim
Approximately 2 inches of line can be pulled each time
the tap button is pressed.