Storing Food & Saving Energy
ENERGY SAVING IDEAS
• Locate the freezer in the coolest part of the room, out of
direct sunlight, and away from heating ducts or registers. Do
not place the freezer next to heat-producing appliances
such as a range, oven, or dishwasher. If this is not possible,
a section of cabinetry or an added layer of insulation
between the two appliances will help the freezer operate
• Level the freezer so that the door closes tightly.
• Refer to the "SETTING THE TEMPERATURE CONTROL" section for the
suggested temperature control settings.
• Do not overcrowd the freezer or block cold air vents. Doing so causes the
freezer to run longer and use more energy.
• Cover foods and wipe containers dry before placing them in the freezer. This
cuts down on moisture build-up inside the unit.
• Organize the freezer to reduce door openings. Remove as many items as
needed at one time and close the door as soon as possible.
VACATION AND MOVING TIPS
• Leave the freezer operating during vacations of less than three weeks.
If the freezer will not be used for several months:
• Remove all food and unplug the power cord.
• Clean and dry the interior thoroughly.
• Leave the freezer door open slightly, blocking it open if necessary, to prevent
odor and mold growth.
Moving: When moving the freezer, follow these guidelines to prevent
• Disconnect the power cord plug from the wall outlet.
• Remove foods, then defrost, and clean the freezer.