Intellectual Property All Intellectual Property, as defined below, owned by or which is otherwise the property of Samsung or its respective suppliers relating to the SAMSUNG Phone, including but not limited to, accessories, parts, or software relating there to (the “Phone System”), is proprietary to Samsung and protected under federal laws, state laws, and international treaty provisions.
Samsung device. During the testing, the device is tested with the security solutions to see if the solutions work with the device as described by the third party security solution providers.
For complete statement of limited warranty, please refer to www.samsung.com/us/safe, available on the web and where Samsung smartphone and Galaxy Tab™ devices are sold. ...
Do you have questions about your Samsung Mobile Device? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer a new FAQ/ARS System (Automated Response System) at: www.samsung.com/us/support ® ® Nuance , VSuite™, T9 Text Input, and the Nuance logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc., or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries.
Settings > About device > Legal information > License settings > DivX® VOD > Register). Go to vod.divx.com for more information on how to complete your registration. Dynamic Noise Suppression from Audience Your phone is equipped with an advanced voice processing chip that delivers clear mobile calls by suppressing background noise, intermittent sounds (like a siren or nearby conversation), and echoes, allowing you to hear and be heard nearly anywhere.
Section 1: Getting Started This section explains how to get started with your phone by Unless otherwise specified, all instructions in this manual installing and charging the battery, installing the micro SIM assume you are starting from the Home screen and using the card and optional memory card, and setting up your voice available keys.
Special Text Example: From the Home screen, press (Menu) Settings Throughout this manual, you’ll find text that is set apart from Bluetooth. the rest. These are intended to point out important Battery Cover information, share quick methods for activating features, to define terms, and more.
SIM Card Overview Important! Before removing or replacing the micro SIM card, make sure the device is switched off. To turn the phone off, hold down the key until the power-off image displays, then tap Power off. The micro SIM card is loaded with your subscription details such as your telephone number, PIN, available optional Release Latch services, and many other features.
Installing and Removing the SIM card To remove the micro SIM card: 1. Remove the battery cover. This device uses a different type of SIM card called a “micro SIM”. Other larger SIM cards will not function or fit within this 2.
Installing the microSD Memory Card Important! Be sure to align the gold contact pins on the card Your device supports an optional (external) microSD™ with the phone’s contacts. memory cards for storage of media such as music, pictures, video and other files. The SD card is designed for use with this mobile device and other devices.
Battery Removing the Battery Before using your device for the first time, install the battery Grip the battery at the top end (3) and lift it up and out and charge it fully. of the battery compartment (4). Important! Before removing or replacing the battery, make Installing Battery sure the device is switched off.
Use only approved batteries and continuously and prevent proper operation. Failure to chargers. Ask your local Samsung dealer for further details. unplug the wall charger before you remove the battery, Before using your device for the first time, you must fully can cause the device to become damaged.
5. When charging is finished, first unplug the charger’s Warning! While the device is charging, if the touch screen power plug from the AC wall outlet, then disconnect does not function due to an unstable power supply the charger’s connector from the phone. unplug the USB power adapter from the power outlet or unplug the USB cable from the device.
Extending Your Battery Life Low Battery Indicator When the battery level is low and only a few minutes of talk Active applications, light levels, Bluetooth usage, and GPS time remain (~15% charge), a warning tone sounds and the functionality all act to drain your battery. The following is a “Battery low”...
• Check the Running Services and close any unnecessary • If prompted to enable purchases, tap Set up credit card and applications. enter your credit card information and click Save. • Use the Task Manager feature to end/shutdown background • Click Skip to continue without entering this information. applications that are still running.
8. Read the on-screen Google services disclaimer and 12. When prompted with the Dropbox activation screen, you can choose to either: Create a new dropbox then tap (Next). This will help to identify this as account, I already have an account, Disclaimer, or tap your device.
Creating a New Google Account To turn the device off: 1. Press and hold (Power/End) until the Device ™ You should create a Google Account when you first use options screen appears. your device in order to fully utilize the functionality. This 2.
Retrieving your Google Account To create a new Google Account from the Web: Password 1. From a computer, launch a Web browser and navigate to www.google.com. A Google account password is required for Google 2. On the main page, click Sign-in Create an account applications.
2. Press and then tap Settings account Samsung account. Note: It is recommended that you set the option to Memory 3. If you have previously created a Samsung account, tap card. Sign in. – or – 4. Press to return to the Home screen.
For new users, follow the instructions below to set up voice Activate account. mail: Note: Confirm the Samsung account icon no longer appears in Note: Voicemail setup may be different depending on your the Notifications area at the top of the screen.
Accessing Your Voice Mail Visual Voicemail You can access your Voice Mail by either pressing and Visual Voicemail enables users to view a list of people who holding on the keypad, or by using the phone’s left a voicemail message, and listen to the any message they Application icon, then tapping the Voice Mail application.
Task Manager To check Visual Voicemail messages: 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) Your device can run applications simultaneously, with some (Visual Voicemail). applications running in the background. 2. Tap the voicemail message you want to play. Sometimes your device might seem to slow down over time, 3.
Google Now • Downloaded displays any installed packages or applications from the Play Store that are taking up memory space. Tap ® Google Now recognizes a users’ repeated actions Uninstall to remove them from your phone. performed on the device (including access of common •...
To configure the Google Now settings: 1. Press and hold (Home) and then tap (Google Now). 2. Press and select Settings. 3. Access each desired Settings page and configure it as desired. When these condition are met, new card information will begin to appear in the Google Now list of cards.
Section 2: Understanding Your Device • This section outlines key features of your device. It also Over 600,000 Apps available to download from the Google Play™ describes the device’s keys, screen and the icons that Store display when the device is in use. ®...
• Google Play™ Music • Compatibility with a new micro SIM card • Wi-Fi Calling via the use of a micro SIM card • Access to thousands of Movies and TV Shows with the Samsung Media Hub Understanding Your Device...
Front View The following illustrations show the main elements of your device. The following list correlates to the illustrations. 1. Headset jack allows you to connect a hands-free headset so you can listen to music. 2. Indicator light illuminates with a series of distinct colors and flashing patterns to indicate different notifications and statuses.
3. Menu key displays a list of options available for the 8. Display shows all the information needed to operate current screen. From the Home screen it displays Edit, your phone, such as the connection status, received Create folder, Search, and Settings options. signal strength, phone battery level, and time.
Back View 5. Flash is used to take photos in low-light conditions. Side Views The following illustration shows the external elements of your Device: The following illustration shows the side elements of your 1. microSD Card Slot (internal) allows you use a microSD device: card to expand the memory of your device.
2. Power/End key ends a call or switches the Signal strength Connection Status phone off and on. Press and hold for two seconds to Battery status turn toggle the Silent mode or Airplane mode states, Status Bar Time turn the device on or off, or Restart. Device Display Notification Your display provides information about the device’s status,...
Display settings Displays your current signal strength. The greater In this menu, you can change various settings for the for the the number of bars, the stronger the signal. wallpaper, cube, brightness or backlight. Indicates that the Airplane Mode is active. You From the Home screen, tap (Apps) cannot send or receive any calls or access online...
Displays when you device is set to automatically Displays your current battery charge level is reject calls from your Reject list or all calls. very low (Charge: ~15% - 5%). Displays when the speakerphone is on. Icon is Shows your current battery only has up to 4% displayed in the Status bar area.
Displays when there is a new text message. Displays when the time and date for a Calendar Event has arrived. For more information, refer to “Calendar” on page 215. Displays when an outgoing text message has failed Displays when an alarm is set. to be delivered.
Displays when Bluetooth technology is active and Displays when a screen capture has been taken and enabled. stored in the clipboard. For more information, refer to “Using Gestures” on Displays when Bluetooth technology is active page 55. and there is an available open and visible bluetooth device.
Displays when the USB Tethering mode is active Displays in the notifications window when action is and communicating. For more information, refer to required within the Samsung account application. “USB Tethering” on page 272. Displays in the notifications window when there are Displays when Wi-Fi is being used as a Mobile too many on-screen notification icons to display.
Displays in the notifications window when a song is Displays when TTY device has been inserted. currently playing within the Play Music application. Displays when your device’s GPS is on and communicating. For more details on configuring your phone’s settings, see “Changing Your Settings”...
Accessing Additional Screen Functions In addition to notifications, this screen also provides quick and ready access to separate device functions. These can be quickly activated or deactivated by toggling them on or off. Clearing Notifications 1. In a single motion, touch and drag the Status bar down The following functions can either be activated (green) or to the bottom of the screen to open the Notifications deactivated (gray): Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sound/Vibrate/Mute,...
Function Keys Home Screen Your device comes equipped with three main function keys The Home screen is the starting point for using the that can be used on any screen: Home, Menu, and Back. applications on your phone. There are initially seven Home Key available panels, each populated with default shortcuts or applications.
• Notification area displays those icons associated with end-user Note: Both the status bar and primary shortcuts are visible notifications such as: email messages, calls (missed, call in across all screens. progress), new voicemail, upcoming event, USB connection, Emails, and Text/MMS messages. •...
Home Screen Menu Settings • Primary Shortcuts: are four shortcuts present throughout all of the available screens and can be used to both navigate within the When on the Home screen, the following menu options are device or launch any of the following functions: available: –...
Applications • Uninstall: allows you to uninstall a user-downloaded application. Only those applications that are not default to the The Application menu provides quick access to the most device can be downloaded. Tap to remove the selected frequently used applications. Applications display on each of app.
The following table contains a description of each application Calculator available via both the Primary shortcuts area and via the Launches the on-screen calculator application. Applications screens. If the application is already described The calculator provides the basic arithmetic in another section of this user manual, then a cross reference functions;...
Camera ChatON Launches the built-in 8.0 megapixel camera Provides a global mobile communication service application from where you can take a picture with where you can chat with more than 2 buddies via a either the front or rear facing cameras. group chat.
(such as Gmail and Yahoo! Mail). Provides a premium one-stop service center that let’s you play, connect and share games on For more information, refer to “Using Email” on page compatible Samsung Android devices. 143. For more information, refer to “Game Hub” on page 224.
Gmail Help Provides access to your Gmail account. Google Mail The Help app provides additional in-device (Gmail) is a web-based email service. Gmail is information on Learning the basics, Changing configured when you first set up your phone. important settings, Use Key applications, and Help settings.
Latitude Media Hub Lets you see your friends’ locations and share Provides you with a one stop shop for the hottest yours with them. The application also lets you see movie and TV content. You can now rent or your friends’ locations on a map or in a list. It also purchase your favorite content and then watch it from lets you send instant messages and emails, make the convenience of anywhere.
232. 195. More Services My Files Provides access to additional Samsung Apps and Lets you view supported image files and text files services. Works in conjunction with the Samsung on both your internal storage and microSD card. Apps feature.
Navigation Play Magazines Launches a Web-based navigation application. With Google Play Magazines, you can subscribe to your favorite magazines and have them available to Caution! Traffic data is not real-time and directions read on your phone at any time or any place. may be wrong, dangerous, prohibited, or For more information, refer to “Play Magazines”...
For more information, refer to “S Memo” on page 241. For more information, refer to “Samsung Apps” on page 244. S Suggest Settings Provides on-screen recommendations for applications that are specifically supported and Accesses the device’s built-in Settings menu.
T-Mobile My Account Video Player This application provides you online access to Launches your device’s built-in video application account information such as your current activity, that plays video files stored on your microSD card. billing information, service plans, downloads, and For more information, refer to “Using the Video Player”...
Voice Search Important! For help closing any or all current applications, use Launches the Google Now application that is used the Task manager. For more information, refer to for voice to text Internet searching. “Task Manager” on page 249. For more information, refer to “Voice Search” on page Screen Navigation 251.
• Flick: Move your finger in lighter, quicker strokes than swiping. Press and hold Touch and hold This finger gesture is always used in a vertical motion, such as when flicking through contacts or a message list. • Swipe or slide: Quickly drag your finger vertically or horizontally across the screen.
• Pinch: “Pinch” the screen using your thumb and forefinger to zoom out when viewing a picture or a Web page. (Move fingers inward to zoom out.) • Spread: “Spread” the screen using your thumb and forefinger to Swipe or slide zoom in when viewing a picture or a Web page.
Using Gestures Note: These screens can be re-arranged in any desired order. By activating the various gesture features within the Motion For more information, refer to “Customizing the menu (page 328), you can access a variety of time saving Screens” on page 59. functions.
• • Tilt to zoom: Once enabled, you must be on a screen where Sensitivity setting and tutorial: provides access to advanced content can be zoomed. In a single motion, touch and hold two gesture settings and tutorials such as: points on the display then tilt the device back and forth to zoom in •...
• • Palm swipe to capture: Once enabled, you can capture any Learn about hand motions: Provides you with on-screen on-screen information swiping across the screen. In a single tutorials about selected motions such as: Palm swipe to capture motion, press the side of your hand on the screen and swipe form and Palm touch to mute/pause.
Using Sub-Menus Using Context Menus Sub-menus are available from within most screen and Context menus (also called pop-up menus) contain options applications. that apply to a specific item on the screen. They function similarly to menu options that appear when you right click 1.
Accessing Recently-Used Applications You can customize your Home screen by doing the following: • Adding, Deleting, and Rearranging screens 1. Press and hold to open the recently-used • applications window. Assigning a New Home screen • Adding and Removing Primary Shortcuts Note: This recent applications screen also provides access to •...
Rearranging the Screens To delete a screen: 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap Edit 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap page. Edit page. 2. Touch and hold, then drag the undesired screen down 2. Touch and hold a screen and then drag it into its new to the Remove tab ( location.
2. Select a screen location for your new shortcut by Note: Shared applications consist of those that have scrolling across your available screens until you reach previously been downloaded from the Play Store. the desired one. 3. Tap Apps ( ) to reveal all your current available 4.
To delete a shortcut: To insert a new primary shortcut: 1. Press to go to the Home screen. 1. Press and then tap (Apps). 2. Touch and hold the desired shortcut. This unlocks it 2. Locate your desired application, then touch and hold from its location on the current screen.
Adding and Removing Widgets To place a widget onto a different screen: 1. Touch and hold the widget until it becomes Widgets are self-contained applications that can be placed transparent. on any screen. Unlike shortcuts, widgets appear as applications. 2. Slowly drag it past the edge of the screen until the To add a Widget: adjacent page appears highlighted and it then snaps 1.
Managing Wallpapers Note: Wallpapers supports the following image types: JPEG, Wallpapers consist of either Gallery images (user taken), Live PNG, GIF, BMP, and WBMP. wallpapers (animated backgrounds), or Wallpaper gallery (default phone wallpapers). To change Wallpapers from Settings Menu: 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap Note: Selecting animated Live wallpapers will require Settings...
To change the current Lock screen wallpaper: 1. Navigate to any screen, touch and hold an empty area of the screen, and tap Lock screen. – or – From the Home screen, press and then tap Settings Set wallpaper Lock screen. 2.
Section 3: Memory Card SD card Overview Your device lets you use a microSD (SD) or microSDHC card (also referred to as a memory card) to expand available After mounting an SD card in the device you can use your memory space.
Communicating with the SD card Important! DO NOT remove a microSD card while the device is 1. Insert the SD card into the external, SD card slot (For accessing or transferring files. Doing so will result more information, refer to “Installing the microSD in loss or damage of data.
SD card Memory Status 5. Confirm the new mounted drive appears as a new drive on your computer. As soon as the connection is To view the memory allocation for your external SD card: established a drive letter is assigned to the phone’s From the Home screen, press and then tap storage device.
Factory Data Reset From this menu you can reset your phone and sound settings to the factory default settings. 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap Settings Back up and reset. 2. Tap Factory data reset. This action erases all data from your device except current system software and bundled applications, or SD card files such as music or photos.
Section 4: Call Functions and Contacts List Making a Call This section describes features and functionality associated with making or answering calls, and the Contacts list, which You can store phone numbers that are regularly used to the is used to store contact information. SIM card or to the device’s memory.
Quick Dialing a Number from the Contacts List Running a Call in the Background 1. From the Home screen, tap (Contacts). If you exit the current call screen and return to the Home screen, you are visually notified that you are still on an active 2.
Ending a Call from the Status Bar Making Emergency Calls 1. From an active call, you can launch a separate If you do not have a SIM card installed the first time you turn application or return to the Home screen. The current on the phone, the Insert SIM card to make calls message call is kept active in the background.
Making an Emergency Call With a SIM card installed • Touch and slide to return to the Home screen while still remaining in the Emergency calling mode. This allows you The Emergency calling mode makes redialing an emergency number a 1-tap process. Before you can resume normal to access other applications while staying in this mode.
Answering a Call To view additional dialing options: When somebody calls you, the phone rings and displays the • Send message to send the current caller a text message while incoming call image. The caller's phone number, picture, or name if stored in Contacts List, displays. still maintaining the current call active.
Managing Reject Calls This feature allows you to categorize both known and unknown callers as rejected contacts. These Contacts are then added to you Rejection list which can be managed for Touch and drag individual entries from within the Contacts list or as a whole upward to reject from the Call rejection screen.
Adding numbers to the rejection list International Calls Entries can be added to the list via either the Contacts menu 1. From the Home screen, tap and then touch and or via the Auto reject list menu. The Contacts menu option hold until the device shows “+”...
Pause Dialing Wait Dialing You can dial or save phone numbers with pauses for use with Inserting a Wait into your dialing sequence means that the automated systems, such as voicemail or financial phone phone waits until it hears a dial tone before proceeding with numbers.
Redialing the Last Number Speed Dialing The device stores the numbers of the calls you’ve dialed, Once you have stored phone numbers from your Contacts received, or missed if the caller is identified. List, you can set up to 99 speed dial entries (2-100) and then dial them easily whenever you want, simply by touching the To recall any of these numbers: associated numeric key.
Removing a Speed Dial Entry 4. Tap a contact and select a number to assign it to the speed dial location. The selected contact number/ 1. From the Home screen, tap image is displayed in the speed dial number box. 2.
Skip to continue without reading the information. 4. Wake up the application by repeating the phrase Hi Galaxy. Note: The wake-up command/phrase can be changed from “Hi Galaxy” to anything else. For more information, refer to “Samsung Unlock Options” on page 314.
Wi-Fi Calling Activating Wi-Fi 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap Wi-Fi Calling is a free feature for T-Mobile customers using Settings. this device with the new ISIM card. Wi-Fi Calling is an excellent solution for coverage issues in and around the 2.
3. If (Missing 911 Address) displays in the Status Note: With certain rate plans, minutes used while connected Bar, follow these steps to provide 911 an address for to the Wi-Fi network count against available rate plan emergency situations: minutes. •...
6. Tap OK to save the setting. When Action Then 7. From the Home screen, press and then tap Displays on the You are connected to the Settings More settings. screen status T-Mobile network and can 8. Tap Wi-Fi Calling to toggle off the feature, then tap it bar.
In Call Options Adjusting the Call Volume During a call, use the Volume keys on the left side of the Your phone provides a number of features that are available device, to adjust the earpiece volume. for use during a call. During a call, press the Up volume key to increase the volume level and the Down volume key to decrease the Call...
Placing a Call on Hold Turning the Speakerphone on and off You can place the current call on hold whenever you want. If While on a call, you can use your Speakerphone by following your network supports this service, you can also make these steps: another call while a call is in progress.
Switching to Bluetooth Headset Creating a Memo During a Call 1. Pair the target Bluetooth headset prior to your call. During a call it may be necessary to record information (a Note). 2. While on a call, switch to the Bluetooth headset instead 1.
Multi-Party calls Having a Private Conversation With One Participant Making a Multi-Party Call Note: The Manage conference call option is not available for A multi-party call is a network service that multiple people to multi-party calls created while using the Wi-Fi Calling participate in a multi-party or conference call.
Dropping One Participant Note: The Manage conference call option is not available for 1. Tap Manage to the right of the number to drop. multi-party calls created while using the Wi-Fi Calling The participant is disconnected and you can continue feature.
Logs Tab Note: The new caller appears at the top of the list. The The Logs tab is a list of the phone numbers (or Contacts previous caller is placed on hold and appears at the entries) for calls you placed, accepted, or missed. The Logs bottom of the list.
Accessing the Logs Tab Accessing Call log from The Notifications Area 1. From the Home screen, tap (Logs tab). 1. Locate from the Notifications area of the Status Logs Logs 2. Tap an entry to view available options. bar. 2. Tap the Status bar to reveal the Notifications tab, and Note: The Logs tab only records calls that occur while the then drag the tab to the bottom of the screen to open phone is turned on.
Call logs - Caller Overview • Touch and hold an entry to display the entry-specific context menu: • Tap a contact entry name or number to reveal the Call options • Call [Number] to redial the current phone number. screen: •...
Altering Numbers from the Logs List 4. Tap Delete to continue with the erasure. – or – If you need to make a call from the Logs screen and you need to alter the number prior to dialing, you can add the Tap Cancel to stop the current process.
• Google voice typing: provides a voice to text interface. 2. Tap (Choose input method) and select an • Samsung keyboard (default): an on-screen QWERTY available input method. keyboard that can be used in both portrait and landscape orientation. •...
Enabling and Configuring Swype • Show helpful tips: turns on a flashing indicator for quick help. If you configure another text input method (Samsung • Auto-spacing: automatically inserts a space between words. keyboard) you must re-enable Swype before using the When you finish a word, just lift your finger or stylus and start Swype keyboard.
• Pop-up on keypress: once enabled, displays a character • Gmail: allows you to sign in to your existing Gmail account from above an on-screen key while typing. where existing contact information is added to your personal dictionary. Helps recognize familiar names. •...
Swype Text Entry Tips Selecting a Text Input Mode in Swype 1. From a screen where you can enter text, tap the text You can access the SwypeTips application and watch a video or tutorial on using Swype. You can also use the following input field to reveal the on-screen keyboard.
Swype Keyboard Overview • Recipients: a field where you can enter the recipients of the current message. You can choose from Groups, Favorites, Recipients Contacts, or Logs. • Text Input field: a field where text, number, or other characters Text input field can be entered.
Using 123ABC Mode in SWYPE All lowercase In 123ABC mode, you can enter only letters and a few Displays when the next character is entered in common punctuation marks from the on-screen keyboard. lowercase. Pressing this while in 123SYM mode, The text mode key shows reveals additional numeric-symbols keys.
3. Tap the on-screen key for the number or symbol you other characters. want to enter. To use the Samsung keyboard you must first configure the 4. Tap to select from additional symbols. settings to default to the Samsung keyboard.
Entering Text using Different Input Options 2. The virtual keyboard is then assigned to the Samsung keyboard configuration for all subsequent text input. Although the default text input method with the Samsung keyboard is to use the on-screen keys you have other...
• Settings to access the Samsung keyboard settings menu. All lowercase Changing the Text Input Mode in Keyboard Displays when the next character is entered in 1. From a screen where you can enter text, tap the text lowercase. input field to reveal the on-screen keyboard.
Using ABC Mode in Samsung Keyboard Using Symbol/Numeric Mode 1. From a screen where you can enter text, tap the text Use the Symbol/Numeric Mode to add numbers, symbols, input field to reveal the on-screen keyboard. or emoticons. While in this mode, the text mode key displays 2.
(Input Methods), drag across the icons, and 1. Tap to configure the keyboard for Symbol mode. select (Settings) to reveal the Samsung keyboard 2. Tap the appropriate symbol key. settings screen. – or – 2. Set any of the following options: button to cycle through additional pages.
(Input Methods) and select Settings, then tap • Character preview provides an automatic preview of the to reveal the Samsung keyboard settings screen. current character selection within the text string. This is helpful 2. In a single motion touch and slide the Predictive text when multiple characters are available within one key.
3. Tap the Predictive text field and configure any of the • Regional correction automatically tries to correct errors following advanced options: caused when you tap keys adjacent to the correct keys. (A • Word completion tells your device to attempt to predict how to green check mark indicates the feature is enabled.
Using the Google Voice Typing Configure Google Voice Typing 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap This feature uses Google voice recognition to convert your Settings Language and input. spoken words into on-screen text. – or – You can use your voice to enter text using the Google Voice typing feature.
Using Google Voice Typing 1. From a screen where you can enter text, in a single motion, touch and drag the Status bar down to the bottom of the screen, then select (Choose input method) Google voice typing. The virtual keyboard is then removed and all subsequent input to done via the microphone as text to speech.
2. From the Home screen, press and then tap alphabetically. You can create either a Phone, SIM, MobileLife Settings Add account. Contacts, Samsung account, Google, or Microsoft Exchange – or – ActiveSync contact. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) Note: Before you can save a contact to the Phone, Contact (Settings) Add account.
• Note: You can also add a new contact by entering a number Samsung account contacts are shared with your existing from the keypad and pressing and then tap Add to Samsung account.
4. Tap the Name field and enter a name for this contact 8. Enter additional information such as: Email, Address, using the displayed keypad. Events, Groups, Ringtone, Vibration pattern or tap Add • Tap to access additional name entries such as: Name another field to input additional category information.
Mobile, Home, Work, Work Fax, Home Fax, Pager, Other, 4. Tap a destination type (Phone, SIM, MobileLife Contacts, Custom, or Callback. Samsung account, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, or Google) (depending on where you want to save the new 8. Enter additional fields as desired.
Finding a Contact You can store phone numbers and their corresponding Tabs names onto either your SIM card, your phone’s built-in Search Create memory, or an external location (such as Google, Exchange, Contacts Contacts or T-Mobile Backup). They are all physically separate but are field used as a single entity, called Contacts.
Editing Contact Information 3. Edit the contact information then: • Tap Save to complete and store the new entry or 1. From the Home screen, tap • Tap Cancel to delete the current entry. 2. Tap a contact name from the list and tap (Edit).
4. Enter additional information such as: Email, Address, 4. Scroll through the available list of existing entries and Groups, Ringtone, Vibration pattern or tap Add another select the desired target. field to input additional category information. Note: This new phone number is then added as a new number •...
If several of your contacts are from other external sources, this • Contacts to display: allows you to choose All contacts, Phone, allows you to “back them up” or copy them to your Samsung display contacts stored to your SIM card, Samsung account, account.
• Print contact info: allows you to print selected information on • Join contact: allows you to link the current contact to another a compatible Samsung printer. current contact. Similar to a “see also” feature. If you can’t remember a contact’s information, linking entries can help you find the person you are looking for.
Contact Entry Options Joining Contact Information 1. From the Home screen, Most people now maintain multiple email accounts, social networking logins, and other similar account information. For example, a Facebook account login name might differ from a 2. Tap an entry to reveal the corporate email account login because they are maintained Contact entry’s Overview separately and for different groups of people.
1. From the Home screen, tap Important! It is the first contact image that is displayed for 2. Tap a contact name (the name you want to link to both, and the first contact’s name that is used. another entry) to reveal the Contact entry’s Overview For example: If Amy (original entry) is joined with Screen.
Unjoining a Contact Marking a Contact as Default 1. From the Home screen, tap When you use applications such as the Voice Dialer or other messaging type applications, the application needs to know 2. Tap a contact name (the account name from which you which information is primary (default) in a contact entry list.
Sending All Current Namecards Note: If there are multiple phone numbers assigned to an Rather than selecting once Contact entry at a time, you can entry, assigning one as the default will automatically dial send all of your current entries at once. that number when the contact is selected for dialing.
Note: The Web storage Upload feature requires that you are Copying Contact Information to the SIM Card logged into your Samsung account prior to upload. The default storage location for saving phone numbers to • Wi-Fi Direct to transmit the entries to another Wi-Fi Direct your Contacts list is your phone’s built-in memory.
Copying Contact Information to the microSD Synchronizing Contacts Card Syncing data from your managed accounts allows you to add This procedure allows you to copy entry information saved and manage a new or existing contact from your online or on the phone’s memory, onto the SIM card. remote accounts to your phone.
Note: Syncing of contacts requires you are logged into your the MobileLife account. Gmail and Corporate accounts via the device. • Samsung account lists those Contacts currently found and Display Options sync’d within the Samsung account. • Google lists those Contacts currently found within the Google The Display options menu allows you to allows you to choose account.
1. From the Home screen, press and then tap to synchronize with your Contact list. Selections are: Settings and then navigate to the Accounts area. Samsung account, ChatON, Dropbox, Email, Facebook, 2. Tap Add account Facebook. Google, LDAP, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, or 3.
Additional Contact Options 5. If prompted, configure any requested optional Sending an Email to a Contact permissions and tap Log in. 6. Tap those contact settings you wish to synchronize (all Note: Contacts must contain and email account and address are enabled by default).
Contact List Settings – Send all namecards allows you to set your Contact sharing option to all so that your entire Contacts entries are sent as a From this menu you can determine the default storage group and not as multiple single files. If all your entries are location for Contacts, display your phone’s primary number, and view service numbers listed in your Contact list.
Groups Adding an Existing Entry to a Current Caller Group This feature allows you to add a new or existing contact to a 1. From the Home screen, tap call group. This group can be one of the already present Groups Groups groups (Family, Friends, or Work) or a user-created group.
Editing a Caller Group 3. Select the recipients of the new message (indicated by a green checkmark). If an entry contains multiple To edit a Group entry, there must be at least one member as phone numbers, each must be selected individually. part of the selected group.
Section 7: Messages This section describes how to send or receive different types The Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) lets you send and of messages. It also explains the features and functionality receive multimedia messages (such as picture, video, and associated with messaging. audio messages) to and from other mobile phones or email Types of Messages addresses.
Creating and Sending Messages 4. Add more recipients by tapping either the Enter recipient field or and selecting recipients. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Messaging) 5. Tap the Enter message field and use the on-screen (Compose). keypad to enter a message. For more information, refer 2.
Message Options Quick Messaging a Number from the Contacts List Options before composing a message 1. From the Home screen, tap (Contacts). 1. From the Home screen, tap (Messaging) 2. Locate an entry from the Contacts list. 2. Before composing a message, press from the 3.
Options while composing a message • Spam messages: displays the spam messages folder and its contents. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Messaging) • Text templates: displays your available text message reply 2. From within an open message, press to display templates.
• • Layout (bottom) (only in MMS): allows you to change the Capture video: allows you to temporarily exit the message, layout. record a video clip using the phone’s camera, and then add it to your message by tapping Save. •...
Adding Additional Text Viewing Newly Received Messages You can copy text such as names, phone numbers, and When you receive a message, your phone notifies you by events from your Contacts, Calendar, or a Memo. displaying within the Notification area at the top left of 1.
Message Threads 3. Compose your reply. Your texts are colored Blue and your caller’s replies are Sent and received text and Current Recipient My Text Yellow. picture messages are grouped into message 4. Tap (Send) to deliver your reply. threads. Threaded messages –...
Deleting Messages To access additional Bubble options: Deleting a single message thread Touch and hold the message bubble within an active message conversation to display the following options: 1. From the Home screen, tap • Delete message: deletes the currently selected message 2.
Message Search Deleting multiple message bubbles 1. From the Home screen, tap You can search through your messages by using the 2. Open a message to reveal the message string. Message Search feature. 1. From the Home screen, tap 3. Press and then tap Delete messages.
Multimedia message (MMS) settings • Use the volume key: allows you to change the text size by • Delivery reports: when this option is activated, the network using the up or down volume keys. Storage settings informs you whether or not your message was delivered. •...
Push message settings Emergency alerts settings • Push messages: allows you to receive push messages from • Emergency Alerts: allows you to configure emergency alert the network. settings. You can enable/disable those alert categories you wish to receive. Choose from: Imminent extreme alerts, •...
• Block unknown senders: when active, automatically blocks There are three types of Emergency Alerts: • Alerts issued by the President incoming messages from unknown sources or blocked numbers. • Alerts involving imminent threats to safety of life Emergency Alert Configuration •...
Assigning Messages as Spam 5. Tap the Number field to manually enter phone number. – or – You can now assign either a phone number as spam or use a key term or phrase. Any message assigned as spam is to select from either your existing Logs or automatically placed with your Spam messages folder.
4. Tap Register phrase as spam (Add new). If an incoming message is designated in coming from an unknown sender, it is automatically assigned as spam and is • Register phrase as spam: allows you to assign a specific text now located in your Spam folder.
• To create your own text template: IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) - This protocol is 1. From the Home screen, tap frequently used in large networks and commercial settings. IMAP4 is the current standard. 2. From the Messaging list, press and then tap Text •...
Creating an Internet Email Account 3. Tap Show password to display the password as you enter it in the associated field. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) • Tap Manual setup to configure your connection settings (Email). manually (POP3 or IMAP). Follow the on-screen prompts and 2.
Composing Email Messages for this account display on the Inbox tab. You can also view Personal information for this account, Receipts (if 1. From the Home screen, tap (Email). you setup the account to return receipts), Travel information, 2. Tap the account name field (upper-right) to open the and more (if available).
• Default account: Assign this account as the default email Note: If you attach an image to your email, you have the option account used for outgoing messages. to resize it prior to delivery. Choose from: Original, • Always Cc/Bcc myself allows you to include your own email Large (70%), Medium (30%), or Small (10%).
• Size to retrieve emails: configures the incoming email size Note: Some the above options may not be displayed when allowed to pass through to your phone automatically without using some Internet account types. user interaction. Emails with attachments larger than Microsoft Exchange Email (Outlook) configured will have to be retrieved manually.
• Open an existing email account, press and then tap Note: If selected, the Manual setup button changes to read Settings (Add new account). Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. If activated, skip to step 6. Account name 5. Tap Next. Consult your Network or IT Administrator for further details and support.
• If your network requires that you accept SSL certificates, tap Important! Remember to manually place the cursor in the the Accept all SSL certificates field to place a check mark in correct spot and enter a Domain name before the the box and activate this additional level.
Refreshing Exchange Email • Enabling the Automatically download attachments when connected to Wi-Fi option decreases the wait time to access 1. From the Home screen, tap (Email). large email attachments. 2. Select an email account. 14. If prompted, read the Activate device administrator? •...
Deleting an Exchange Email Message – Tap the Signature field, change the current text, and tap Done to save the new signature. Touch and hold an email (from your inbox list) and • Default account: Assign this account as the default email select Delete from the on-screen context menu.
• Period to sync Email to assign the sync range for your • Period to sync Calendar assigns a period for your phone to incoming and outgoing email messages between your phone sync calendar events. Choose from: 2 weeks, 1 month, and your external exchange server.
Using Google Mail • Email notifications enables the phone to display a status bar icon when new email messages have been received. Google Mail (Gmail) is Google’s web-based email. When you • Select ringtone assigns an audible ringtone when a new or first setup the phone, Gmail is configured.
Refreshing Gmail Mail 4. Press and select Add Cc/Bcc to add a carbon or blind copy. From within the Gmail message list, tap (Refresh) 5. Enter the subject of this message in the Subject field. at the bottom of the screen to refresh the screen, send 6.
Google Talk • Mute: mutes the conversation. • Report spam: reports the Email message as spam. Google Talk™ is a free Windows and web-based application • Settings: allows you to configure the General, or Notification for instant messaging offered by Google. Conversation logs are automatically saved to a Chats area in your Gmail settings.
ChatON Registering with the Service 1. Confirm you have already logged in to your Samsung Provides a global mobile communication service where you account. can chat with more than 2 buddies via a group chat. Share things such as pictures, videos, animation messages...
1. While the chat session is active, tap the Enter message • Address : to search by Country code and phone number. field and then type your reply message. • Search by Samsung Account ID : to search by using 2. Compose your reply. a known samsung account ID.
Deleting a single message bubble 4. Follow the on-screen instructions to use Google+. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) 5. Visit www.google.com/mobile/+/ for more information. Messenger (ChatON). 2. Launch a chat session to reveal the message string. Messenger allows you to bring groups of friends together into 3.
5. When prompted, configure the Instant Upload parameters as desired and tap DONE. 6. Follow any on-screen setup instructions. 7. At the Messenger screen, tap to start a new message. 8. In the upper text field, enter a name, email address, or circle.
Section 8: Multimedia Assigning the Default Storage This section explains how to use the multimedia features of Location your device, including the Camera/Camcorder, Music Player, AllShare Play, and how to manage your photos, images and sounds. Important! Too many users can overlook this storage location You can take photographs and shoot video by using the until something goes wrong.
Using the Camera 5. Press (Camera) until the shutter sounds. (The Taking Photos picture is automatically stored within your designated storage location (page 160). If no microSD is installed, Taking pictures with your device’s built-in camera is as all pictures are stored on the Phone.) For more simple as choosing a subject, pointing the camera, then information, refer to “Camera Options”...
Camera Options • Face detection: adjusts the camera focus based Options are represented by icons across both sides of the on face detection technology. screen. • Panorama: takes a landscape photo by taking an The following shortcuts are available for the camera: initial photo and then adding additional images to itself.
• Beauty: adjusts the contrast to smooth facial Settings: features. Edit shortcuts: allows you to set shortcut icons for the • Smile shot: the camera focuses on the face of settings that you use the most. your subject. Once the camera detects the Self-portrait: allows you to set the front camera so you person’s smile, it takes the picture.
Settings (continued): Settings (continued): Scene mode: allows you to set the Scene to help take ISO: ISO determines how sensitive the light meter is the best pictures possible. Options include None, on your digital camera. Choose from Auto, 100, 200, Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Party/Indoor, Beach/ 400, or 800.
Settings (continued): Camera Mode: allows you to take a photo in various modes. Once you change the mode, the Shutter sound: allows you to set the Shutter sound to corresponding indicator appears at the On or Off. top left of the display. Slide the button up for Camera, Image quality: allows you to set the image quality to: or down for Camcorder.
: allows you to see your photos in a with active ChatON buddies. slideshow. – Print: allows you to print the current image on a compatible • Delete : allows you to delete the current picture. Samsung printer. – Rename: allows you to rename the current file.
Sharing Pictures – Scan for nearby devices: scans for nearby DLNA-compliant devices that can receive or display the current image. Pictures are the best way of remembering the moment, but – Details: files details such as Title, Time, Width, Height, an even better treat is to share them with others.
Enabling Share Shot • S Beam Transfer uses the NFC (near Field Communication) feature found on your device to transmit large files directly to Share shot is a Wi-Fi Direct group sharing feature where another compatible device by direct touch. multiple users can Wi-Fi connect their devices and then all This method of image transfer requires NFC and S Beam to be share each others pictures in real-time.
4. Tap Scan and select the single device name to begin To enable Share shot on Camera: the connection process to another Wi-Fi Direct 1. From the Home screen, tap (Camera) compatible device. (Shooting Mode) Share shot. – or – 2.
To take share shot images: 4. If not already active, in a single motion touch and slide 1. Press (Camera key) until the shutter sounds. the S Beam slider to the right to turn it on 2. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) 5.
8. From the Touch to beam screen, tap the reduced image To share multiple pictures via S Beam: preview to begin the transfer (2). After a few seconds 1. On the source device (containing the desired image or (depending on file size) the recipient with then see the video), tap (Apps) (Gallery).
Camera Gallery Options 3. Tap the on-screen image and use either of the following image menu options: The Gallery is where you can access the Gallery of stored camera images. • Camera : allows you to access the camera/camcorder 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) functions.
Your device then waits for other connected recipients – Print: allows you to print the current image on a compatible on the same Wi-Fi network to accept the connection Samsung printer. and enter the PIN on their screens. – Rename: allows you to rename the current file.
6. Other users will have to activate their Group Cast Note: You must be signed in to your Samsung Account before functionality and then select the current Group and you can use this feature. enter the correct PIN code. You can now interact and draw with the on-screen image, 3.
Taking a Screen Shot Assigning an Image as a Contact Photo 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) Also known as a screen capture, this feature allows you to mimic the print screen function on most computers. (Gallery). 1. From the Home screen, 2.
Assigning an Image as a Wallpaper Editing a Photo 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) You can edit your photos using the optional Photo editor (Gallery). application on your device. For more information, refer to “Photo Editor” on page 180. 2.
9. Once the file has been saved, tap the image viewer, Note: Use either the Up and Down volume keys or spread/ then tap (Play) to playback your video for review. pinch the screen to zoom in or out. For more 10.
Effects: allows you to change the color tone or apply Settings (continued): special effects to the video. Options include: No effect, Effects: allows you to change the color tone or apply Cold vintage, Warm vintage, Posterize, Solarize, special effects to the video. Options include: Green point, Blue point, Red-yellow point, No effect, Cold vintage, Warm vintage, Posterize, Washed out, Black and white, Sepia, or Negative.
Settings (continued): Live Shooting: takes a photo during a video recording session in Camcorder mode. Video quality: allows you to set the image quality to: Superfine, Fine, or Normal. Note: This feature is not functional when the Storage: allows you to configure the default storage Anti-Shake feature is activated.
Details: displays video file information. 5. If prompted, accept the Samsung Apps agreement. 6. Tap the Get to continue. 7. If prompted, log into Samsung Account by either tapping Create new account or Sign in using your existing Samsung account information. Follow the...
8. If prompted, tap Get again to initiate the download Rotate: allows you to rotate a photo in all 4 process. directions. You can also mirror image a photo. 9. When prompted, tap Accept and download to initiate Crop: allows you to crop (cut-out) an area of a the download process.
The Gallery 5. Press to access the following options: • Select image: selects an existing image from your Gallery and The Gallery is where you view photos and play back videos. starts a new Photo editor project. Be sure and save the photo For photos, you can also perform basic editing tasks, view a you are working on before starting a new project.
Viewing a Video within the Gallery Sharing Videos 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (Gallery). (Video Player). After a few seconds, each on-screen video begins to cycle through a preview of 2. Locate your folder and video. the first five seconds of the clip.
Using Picture-In-Picture Note: The Picture-In-Picture feature only works when using This feature can be used during playback of supported video the Video player application. Other video players (ex: types via either the Gallery, Play Videos, or Video player. YouTube), do not support this feature. Note: Some applications might not allow this video to remain 4.
Locating Your VOD Registration Number 4. You are prompted to log in or create a DivX account if your account information has not already been saved in 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap DivX Player. Settings About device Legal information License settings DivX®...
USB (the device) as the target destination for the registration video (created in step 6) and click Start. Samsung Media Hub is your one stop for the hottest movie – or – and TV content. With hundreds of titles available, entertaining your family on the go was never easier.
Important! The Samsung account manages the access Note: Your Media Hub account is managed by the Samsung information (username/password) to several account application. This application manages your user applications, such as AllShare Play, Chat On, and profile information. Media Hub.
• • TV Shows: displays TV shows that are available for purchase. You may remove Media Content from a device as many times as Scroll through the top navigation bar and select a TV category. you’d like. You will have the ability to re-download the Media The TV shows of that type will be displayed below.
Play Movies & TV • In no event will rented Media Content be available for a period of more than thirty (30) days (or shorter on a title-by-title basis) This application allows you to connect to the Play Store, after the Media Content has been rented (e.g., if you begin download a movie and then watch it instantly.
For more information on using the Picture-in-Picture feature 2. If prompted, follow the on-screen instructions to link for video playback, see “Using Picture-In-Picture” on your current account to Google Play Music. page 184. 3. Tap an on-screen account to add it or select Add Play Music account to use a new account.
Changing Library View Searching for Music in Your Library 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) You can change the way you view the contents of your library. (Play Music). 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) 2. Tap (Search) to search through your available (Play Music).
Listening to Music While viewing a list of albums, artists, playlists, or genres, tap (Options) adjacent to the label and tap You can listen to music by using your device’s built-in Play. speakers, through a wired headset, or through a wireless Bluetooth stereo headset.
Displaying the Now Playing Screen • ARTISTS: Play, Add to queue, Add to playlist, More by artist, or Shop for artist. If you navigate away from the Now playing screen, to return to the Now playing screen from other Music screens: •...
• Settings: Allows you to view and assign various music settings, When Shuffle mode is enabled via Show Options, and view different application-specific information. songs play in random order. When disabled • Help: Provides an on-screen series of related help topics. (as shown), songs play in the order they appear in List view.
Music Player 4. Tap New playlist Playlist name field to enter a name for the playlist. The Music Player is an application that can play music files. 5. Tap OK to save the new playlist. The music player supports files with extensions AAC, AAC+, Adding Songs to Playlists eAAC+, MP3, WMA, 3GP, MP4, and M4A.
Making a Song a Phone Ringtone 4. Use any of the following Music Player controls: 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) Pause the song. (Music Player). 2. Tap the All tab. Start the song after pausing. 3. Touch and hold a song from the list to reveal the Press and hold to rewind the song.
• Add to playlist: allows you to add the current music file to a • SoundAlive: set a type of equalization such as Normal, Pop, selected playlist. Rock, Jazz, Dance, Classic, etc. • Details: allows you to view media info such as Artist, Title, •...
Creating a Playlist 5. Tap a music file, or tap Select all to add all the music tracks to this playlist then tap Done. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) Removing Music from a Playlist (Music Player). 2. Tap the Playlists tab. 1.
Music Hub 3. Touch and hold a playlist entry to reveal the on-screen context menu. Samsung Music Hub makes your device a personal music 4. Tap Edit title. manager. It lets you access, buy, and download millions of music tracks. Access top albums, top tracks, featured 5.
Note: You have to be signed in to use some options. second preview of the current selection. To sign in without your Samsung account, tap Sign in – or – and use the keyboard to enter your Email address and 4.
DLNA certified™ (Digital Living Network Alliance) Devices. These external devices must also 1. Confirm you have already logged in to your Samsung be DLNA-compliant. Wi-Fi capability can be provided to TVs account. There should be no icon in the via a digital multimedia streamer.
Wi-Fi, Items to share, source server address, and Play by requiring a user enter the currently active and external device acceptance rights. associated Samsung account password. Tap Locking 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) AllShare Play to activate/deactivate the feature.
Setting Up Web Storage Note: If you already have a current Sugar Sync account, tap SugarSync is a Web storage service that allows you to use Sign in. storage space to store your files and share them on the “Cloud”. 4.
4. Select the target folder location and select Upload. The 1. Launch AllShare on the target device (such as an device then confirms the available storage locations Internet TV, Samsung Tablet, etc..). and begin the process of uploading the selected 2. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) images.
Confirm (AllShare Controller enabled) appears in Note: You must be signed in to your Samsung Account before the Notification area at the top of the device to indicate you can use this feature. you are using your device as the media source.
This hardware allows you to enjoy what’s currently on your RESET button device directly on your TV. Note: There is no need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network or to be logged into your Samsung Account to use this feature. HDMI Travel Adapter (Power) AllShare Cast Hub establishes a WI-Fi Direct connection 1.
To activate AllShare Cast on your device: Note: The status LED begins to blink solid red to indicate 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap it has begun the start up process. Settings More settings AllShare Cast. 2. If not already on, touch and slide the AllShare Cast LED Color/Patterns Description slider to the right to turn it on .
4. For a first time connection: To reconnect your device again to an existing hub: • Press the RESET button (located at the rear of the hub) once 1. Locate the AllShare Hub (dongle) name displayed at the and only for a second until the LED turns solid BLUE. bottom of the TV (showing the tutorial).
AllShare Cast Hub - Troubleshooting – Press the RESET button on the hub for ONE second until the Connections LED turns BLUE. • – If this is the first time you are connecting your device to a hub Tap the entry from your device’s AllShare Cast screen and and the connection fails: confirm connection.
– Tap the entry from your device’s AllShare Cast screen and 4. In a single motion touch and slide the AllShare Cast confirm connection. slider to the right to turn it on . A list of AllShare Cast Hub - Streaming Videos available hubs will appear on the screen.
T-Mobile TV 9. To playback a DRM purchased video: • From the Home screen, tap (Apps) T-Mobile TV is an application that allows you to get live TV (Gallery). Locate your video and tap it to begin playback. and Video on Demand. 1.
YouTube 4. Tap Start Trial to begin a free 30-day trial of the service. YouTube is a video sharing website on which users can – or – upload and share videos, and view them in MPEG-4 format. Tap Continue to keep viewing the free content or 1.
Google Play Store or otherwise should be obtained from Allows users to share their in-device media content with the application provider directly and not from Samsung. other external devices using DLNA certified™ (Digital Living Network Alliance) Devices. These external devices must also be DLNA-compliant.
Wi-Fi Important! The Samsung account manages the access group. Users must be on the same information (username/password) to several Wi-Fi and provide an access code to applications, such as AllShare Play.
3. Tap Start and follow the on-screen prompts. Note: Place the screen in Landscape mode to reveal additional For more information, refer to “AllShare Play” on page 201. scientific functions. Amazon Calendar This mobile application provides a user with access to the online Amazon website.
Creating a Calendar Event • Task: allows you to search for tasks. 2. Tap (Create event) to create a new Calendar 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) event. (Calendar). – or – 2. Tap to access the various calendar tabs. Tap Today to display the current date indicated by a 3.
7. Tap Lock time zone (to lock event time based on your 15. Tap Quick responses to edit your default quick current user-selected time zone). Select a time zone responses for outbound emails. These are default from within the Select time zone field. responses similar to those used by text templates.
ChatON Clock Provides a global mobile communication service where you Here you can set an Alarm, configure and view the World can chat with more than 2 buddies via a group chat, In this clock, use a Stopwatch, set a Timer, or use a Desk Clock. service you can send pictures, videos, animation messages The applications display in a tabular format and quickly (Scribbles), audio, Contacts, Calendar entries, and Location...
6. Tap More to configure additional alarm settings such as 5. Move the Smart alarm slider to the right to activate this volume slider, Alarm tone, Location alarm, Snooze, feature which slowly increases screen brightness and Smart alarm, and assign a name. the volume of nature tones to simulate dawn breaking.
Deleting an Existing Alarm Stopwatch 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) This feature allows you to capture elapsed time while letting the (Clock). stopwatch keep running. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) 2. Touch and hold an on-screen alarm event. (Clock) Stopwatch tab.
Downloads 5. Tap Restart to resume the timer counter. Configuring a Desk Clock Provides quick access to tabs containing a list of your current downloaded files (Internet and Other). This feature lets you activate an on-screen clock that can be 1.
Download the Desktop application Accessing Dropbox on your Device 1. Use your computer’s browser to navigate to: 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) http://www.dropbox.com/. (Dropbox) Start. 2. Follow the on-screen setup and installation instructions 2. Tap I’m already a Dropbox user, enter your current on your target computer containing the desired files.
Manually uploading a Picture to Dropbox 7. Touch and hold an on-screen item to choose from additional options: 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) • Share via applications such as: Copy link, Bluetooth, ChatON, (Camera). Email, Flipboard, Gmail, Google+, Messaging, S Memo, or 2.
Provides a premium one-stop service center that let’s you of everything being shared with you. Access news stories, play, connect and share games on compatible Samsung personal feeds and other related material. Flip through your Android devices. Game Hub comes pre-packaged with some...
Google Help Use Google Search to search the Web. Provides access to built-in Help information. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (Help). (Google) and enter the search text. 2. Select an on-screen topics and follow the built-in –...
Kies air Note: Although you do not have to enable location services in Kies air allows you to sync your Windows PC wirelessly with order to use Latitude, it is recommended for best your phone provided they are both on the same Wi-Fi accuracy.
Sharing your Location with Friends Your friend will receive an email or text message with your location marked on a map. They will also receive 1. From the map view, if not already displaying the instructions on how to view your location from the web Latitude icon at the top right, tap the bottom-right or use Latitude on their phone or tablet provided it is arrow from...
• Search: allows you to search for a place of interest. • Settings: allows you to select the following additional options: – • Directions: displays navigation directions to a location from a Display: allows you to enable/disable the Zoom Buttons and starting point.
Maps • Help: provides help information. Local Google Maps allow you to track your current location, view real-time traffic issues, and view detailed destination Local (formerly known as Google Places) displays company directions. There is also a search tool included to help you logos on a layer of Google Maps.
Enabling a Location source Tip: Enabling this feature allows you to locate places of Before you use Google Maps and find your location or search interest at the street-level. However, this also requires a for places of interest, you must enable a location source. To clear view of the sky and uses more battery power.
• Layers: allows you to switch map views: • Make available offline: allows you to store map-related – information locally on your device and access it even when the Traffic: (available only in selected areas) Real-time traffic device is offline. conditions are displayed over roads as color-coded lines.
Music Hub From the Home screen, tap (Applications) (My Files). Samsung Music Hub makes your device a personal music manager and lets you access, buy, and download millions of Note: Navigation in this viewer works on a hierarchy structure music tracks.
Opening and Navigating within Files Navigation DCIM is the default location for pictures or video taken by the Google Maps Navigation (Beta) is an internet-connected device. These files are actually stored in the DCIM folder turn-by-turn, GPS navigation system with voice guidance. location.
Enabling GPS Location • Speak destination: allows you to use the voice recognition feature to search for matching locations in your area. 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap Settings Location services. • Type destination: allows you to manually enter a destination address (via the on-screen keypad).
• • Satellite: Maps uses the same satellite data as Google Earth. Settings: provides access to both Power settings (Screen Satellite images are not real-time. Google Earth acquires the dimming) and Information (Terms, privacy & notices). best imagery available, most of which is approximately one to •...
2. If prompted, tap Turn sync on. This synchronizes your 6. Tap a magazine to see more information and books you have previously selected between your subscribe. Books account and your device. 7. Follow the on-screen instructions to subscribe to a 3.
Play Music 3. Tap Existing and enter your Google account information. Also known as Google Music, allows you to browse, shop, 4. Tap Accept to agree to the Play Store terms of service. and playback songs purchased from the Play Store. The Downloading a New Google music you choose is automatically stored in your Google Application...
7. On the main Play Store screen, press and then tap Important! If the selected application requires access to data My Apps, tap an installed application in the list, and or control of a function on your device, the Play then tap Open.
Launching an Installed Google Manage applications Application This feature allows you to manage and remove installed applications. You can also view the amount of memory or 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps). resources used as well as the remaining memory and 2.
S Memo Toolbar Add Title The S Memo application allows you to create memos using Secondary the keypad, your finger, or both. You can add images, voice Toolbar recordings, and text all in one place. Writing Show/Hide Creating a New Memo Secondary Modes Toolbar...
• Share via: allows you to share your memo using Group Cast, Displays the keypad to you can add text. ChatON, Dropbox, Flipboard, Picasa, Google+, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi Direct, Messaging, Gmail, or Email. Eraser tool allows you to erase marks and drawings. •...
For more information, refer to “Using S Voice” on page 80. Note: Access to this feature requires that you already be logged in to your Samsung account application. For more information, refer to “Creating a Samsung Account” on page 20.
From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (Settings). Note: Access to this feature requires that you already be – or – logged in to your Samsung account application. For more information, refer to “Creating a Samsung Press and then tap Settings. Account” on page 20.
T-Mobile My Account • Notifications provides about both your current plan, other available plans and other related services. This application provides you online access to account • MobileLife Family Organizer provides links to other T-Mobile information such as your current activity, billing information, service plans, downloads, and other information.
TecTiles Installing the TecTile application: 1. Tap the back of the device to a TecTile to automatically Although not installed by default, this application works with be directed to the Play Store’s TecTile application and TecTiles to automatically change settings, launch selected select Download.
7. Place the TecTile in a convenient location. Send a Text Message, Send an Email Message, Share a Contact, Start a Google Talk Conversation, or Forward Calls. Note: TecTiles do not work on metal surfaces. For more information, visit us at: www.samsung.com/us/tectile. Applications and Development...
To program your TecTile to send a text message: To program your TecTile to join you to a Wi-Fi network: 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (TecTile). (TecTile). 2. Select Phone & Text Send a Text Message.
Talk • Downloaded displays any installed packages or applications from the Play Store that are taking up memory space. Tap You can instant message with Google Talk. Google Talk Uninstall to remove them from your phone. allows you to communicate with other people who are also connected with Google Talk on the phone or on the web.
Visual Voicemail Voice Recorder Visual Voicemail enables users to view a list of people who The Voice Recorder allows you to record an audio file up to left a voicemail message, and listen to the any message they one minute long and then immediately send it as a message. want without being limited to chronological order.
Voice Search • Delete: allows you to delete 1 or more voice recordings. Tap the recordings to delete and tap Delete. Launches the Google Now application that is used for voice • Settings: the following settings are available: to text Internet searching. –...
YouTube • Search – Clear search history allows you to clear previous YouTube YouTube is a video sharing website on which users can searches from showing up in the YouTube search box. upload and share videos, and view them in MPEG-4 format. –...
Zynga Games • About – Help provides answers to most YouTube questions. This application launches the Zynga portal from where you – Feedback allows you to provide user feedback to YouTube. can connect via Facebook and play with your friends. –...
Section 10: Connections Navigating with the Browser Your phone is equipped with features that allow you to quickly connect to the web. 1. Tap an entry to select an item. Internet 2. Sweep the screen with your finger in an up or down Your device is equipped with a Google browser to navigate motion to scroll through a website.
Settings menu. using the on-screen keypad. • Downloads: displays the download history. 2. Tap from the list of search results that are • Print: provides print access on compatible Samsung printers. displayed. 3. Tap a link to view the website. Connections...
Adding and Deleting Windows Going Incognito You can have up to eight Internet windows open at one time. The incognito feature allows you to view Internet sites outside of the normal browsing. Pages viewed in this To add a new window: incognito window won’t appear within your browser history 1.
3. Tap next to the incognito listing to delete this 3. Tap a bookmark to view the webpage, or touch and window. hold a bookmark for the following options: Using Bookmarks • Open: Opens the webpage of the selected bookmark. •...
Adding Bookmarks Deleting Bookmarks 1. From the webpage, tap Add bookmark 1. From the Bookmarks page, touch and hold the bookmark you want to delete. 2. Use the on-screen keypad to enter the name of the bookmark and the URL. 2.
Using Web History Browser Settings The History list displays a list of the most recently viewed To configure browser settings: websites. These entries can be used to return to previously 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) unmarked web pages. (Internet).
• Accept cookies: Allows sites, that require cookies, to save and • Force zoom: Allows you to override a website’s zoom setting read cookies from your device. and forces a zoom view. • Clear all cookie data: Deletes all current browser cookie files. •...
Bluetooth Bluetooth Status Indicators About Bluetooth The following icons show your Bluetooth connection status at a glance: Bluetooth is a short-range communications technology that Displays when Bluetooth is active. allows you to connect wirelessly to a number of Bluetooth devices, such as headsets and hands-free car kits, and Bluetooth-enabled handhelds, computers, printers, and Displays when Bluetooth is connected (paired) and wireless devices.
To access the Bluetooth Settings menu: Note: Your device visibility is based on the time set within the 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap Visible time-out field (2 Minutes, 5 Minutes, 1 Hour, or Settings Bluetooth. Never timeout). Press (Menu) Visible time-out.
To review your Bluetooth received files: 3. Tap Scan. Your device displays a list of discovered in- 1. Verify Bluetooth is active. range Bluetooth devices. 2. From the Bluetooth settings page, press and then 4. Tap a device from the list to initiate pairing. tap Received files.
Configuring Bluetooth Device Settings Disconnecting a Paired Bluetooth Device Some connected Bluetooth devices are capable of more than Disconnecting a paired device breaks the connection just functioning as a headphone, but also have built in between the device and your phone, but retains the microphones for picking up voice.
Sending Contacts via Bluetooth Enable Downloading for Web Applications Depending on your paired devices’ settings and capabilities, you may be able to send pictures, Contact information, or Important! Before you can download a web application you other items using a Bluetooth connection. must insert an SD into the phone and enable the Note: Prior to using this feature, Bluetooth must first be Unknown sources feature (enables downloading).
Windows XP Service Pack 3 or higher installed on your data cable using various USB connection modes. computer. Also, ensure that you have Samsung Kies 2.0 Media storage: allows you to use the onboard storage capacity or Windows Media Player 10 or higher installed on your of both the device and optional microSD to store and upload computer.
Prior to using Kies air for Phone Update Enabling USB Debugging Before using Kies air to upgrade your device, it is USB debugging must be enabled before being able to use the recommended that you backup your personal data prior to Development feature.
2. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (Kies 10. From your PC, a security warning may be displayed air). asking if you want to run this application. Click Run to continue. 3. From the Kies air homescreen, tap Start. 11. On your PC, the Kies air screen is displayed. On your 4.
Wi-Fi Activating Wi-Fi About Wi-Fi By default, your device’s Wi-Fi feature is turned off (deactivated). Activating Wi-Fi allows your device to discover Wi-Fi (short for "wireless fidelity") is a term used for certain and connect to compatible in-range WAPs (Wireless Access types of Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN).
Manually Add a New Network Connection Note: When you select an open network you are automatically 1. From the Wi-Fi network screen, tap Add Wi-Fi network. connected. 2. Enter the Network SSID (the name of your Wireless Access Point). 3. Enter a wireless password (if necessary). 3.
Internet connectivity to multiple devices. right to turn it on 3. Tap Scan. Note: You can not mount your device’s microSD card to your computer while using the USB tethering feature. If additional software or USB drivers are required, navigate to: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ downloads.
To connect using USB Tethering: To disconnect tethering: 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (Mobile HotSpot). (Mobile HotSpot). – or – 2. Tap USB tethering from the Tethering menu to remove the check mark and deactivate the feature. From the Home screen, press and then tap Settings...
To activate the Mobile HotSpot service: Note: By default, the connection is not secured. 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (Mobile HotSpot). – or – Note: Using your Mobile HotSpot drains your device’s battery much faster. The best way to keep using the device as a From the Home screen, press and then tap HotSpot is by connecting to a Charger.
To change the Portable HotSpot password: 1. From the Home screen, tap (Apps) (Mobile HotSpot). 2. Tap Mobile HotSpot Configure. 3. Tap the Security field and select WPA2 PSK. 4. With security enabled, delete the previous password and enter a new one into the Password field. Important! The more complex the password, the harder it will be for intruders to break your security.
Section 11: Changing Your Settings Activating Wi-Fi This section explains the sound and phone settings for your device. It includes such settings as: display, security, 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap memory, and any extra settings associated with your device. Settings.
Network Notification 3. Select an available option: • Always: maintains your current active Wi-Fi connection even By default, when Wi-Fi is on, you receive notifications in the during sleep. Status bar anytime your phone detects an available Wi-Fi network. You can deactivate this feature if you do not want to •...
Finding your WI-Fi Address Information Manually Adding a Wi-Fi Network 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap Settings Wi-Fi. Settings Wi-Fi Add Wi-Fi network. 2. Press and then tap Advanced. 2.
WPS Push Button WPS PIN Entry The WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) feature (sometimes If a WPS Push Buttton does not work, there is an alternative associated with a physical or on-screen button on most WPS connection method where you would use a device WAPs) allows you to pair your device and WAP without the generated PIN number to establish the connection.
Wi-Fi Direct Setup and Settings To activate your connection: 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap You can configure your device to connect directly with other Settings. Wi-Fi capable devices. This is an easy way to transfer data between devices.
Bluetooth settings Activating the Device Name 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap In this menu you can activate Bluetooth, view or assign a Settings Bluetooth. device name, activate your phone so other Bluetooth devices can discover it, or scan for other, available Bluetooth devices 2.
Scanning for Devices Data Usage This option allows you to scan for active Bluetooth devices so Monitor and mange your device’s data usage capabilities. you can pair with them. Features include activation/deactivation or network data 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap usage, set mobile data usage for a set period of time, and Settings...
4. Touch and drag the far right ends of the Red or Orange • Mobile hotspots allows you to select available Wi-Fi networks horizontal lines to manually adjust both the Warning that can service as mobile hotspots. Place a checkmark on and Maximum data limits.
Data Roaming 2. Tap Airplane mode. A check mark displayed next to the feature indicates Airplane mode is active. Data roaming allows you to connect to your service The Airplane mode icon is displayed at the top of provider’s partner networks and access data services when you are out of your service providers area of coverage.
Network mode Using the 2G (EDGE) Network If you are not using applications that require the 3G network You can configure your phone to either manually detect and speed (any application that accesses the network or uses a use either a 2G (GSM) or 3G (WCDMA) data network browser), using the 2G network saves battery life.
Network Operators Default Setup Options Using this feature you can view the current network Your phone default is set to Automatic (to automatically connection. You can also scan and select a network operator search for an available network. You can set this option to manually, or set the network selection to Automatic.
USB tethering feature. IPSec Xauth PSK, IPSec Xauth RSA, IPSec Hybrid RSA. If additional software or USB drivers are required, navigate to: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ Important! Before you can use a VPN you must establish and downloads. configure one.
Delete a VPN Note: Similar setup process can be used for all available VPN 1. From the Home screen, press and then tap types. Settings More settings VPN. Connecting to a VPN 2. Touch and hold the VPN that you want to delete. 3.
Wi-Fi Calling Settings Near Field Communication This feature is used to read and exchange tags. When used Important! A new ISIM card must be installed within the in conjunction with Android Beam, your device can be used device prior to using this feature. Wi-Fi must first to beam application content when NFC-capable devices are be active and communicating prior to launching touched.
S Beam Nearby devices This feature (when activated via NFC) allows you to beam This option allows you to share your media files with nearby large files directly to another compatible device that is in devices using DLNA and connected to the same Wi-Fi. direct contact.
9. Tap Allowed devices list, then select the connected 2. In a single motion touch and slide the AllShare Cast devices you would like to allow. slider to the right to turn it on . The slider color indicates the activation status. 10.
Call Settings • Call alert: allows you to assign call alert tones and activate call alerts and vibration. To access the Call settings menu: – Call vibrations: vibrates the phone when the called party 1. From the Home screen, tap (Phone).
– Automatic answering timer configures the time delay before • Ringtone: assigns your device’s ringtone. the device automatically accepts the incoming call. • Vibrate: configures the vibrate settings. Choose from Always, – Outgoing call conditions configures the connected Bluetooth Only in silent mode, or Never. device