Please read all the FAQ documents and other material concerning the Palm OS upgrade and the Enhanced Infrared
upgrade on the Palm's site before continuing.
1. PALM CONFIGURATION
Please upgrade your Palm III/IIIx/V operating system to version 3.30 and follow the installation instructions given on
their web site (http://www.palm.com/custsupp/upgrade/). NOTE! Palm IIIe cannot be upgraded, Palm IIIc already uses
Palm OS 3.5 as does Palm Vx. After upgrading the operating system, continue by installing the Enhanced Infrared
upgrade (http://www.palm.com/custsupp/downloads/irenhanc.html). After successful upgrading, please remember to
reset your Palm Pilot before proceeding. Now you can proceed with the Nokia phone specific steps listed below:
NOTE! There is no need for Palm IIIc or Vx users to upgrade the PalmOS because you already have the
latest possible version of PalmOS which has the enhancement that are required. So, please follow the
Quick Guide desregarding any referencies to operating system upgrade.
1.1 General rules about infrared in Nokia phones
When you are making a connection (call) first activate the infrared reception in your Nokia phone.
1.2 Palm modem configuration
1. Tap the Applications button (the round touch button which has a house illustrated on it)
2. Tap the Prefs button
3. Select 'Serial/IR' from the drop-down menu (in the upper right corner)
4. Tap on the 'Infrared' box to use the IrCOMM drivers that you installed earlier. This means that from now on, all
serial communications will take place over the IR port. The most common usage of serial communications is to
carry out HotSync operations using the cradle. You will need to switch back to 'cradle' in order to carry out
HotSync operations using your cradle
5. Select 'Connection' from the drop-down menu (in the upper right corner) and tap 'New'
6. Complete the required fields making sure you remember the Name of the connection (the easiest way might be to
just use Nokia) and ensure the Connection 'Method' selected is 'IrCOMM to Modem'. This ensures the use of the
IrDA drivers that you installed earlier.
7. Press 'OK' to save.
1.3 Palm dial-up connection configuration
1. Select Network from the drop-down menu (in the upper right corner) and tap 'New'
2. Tap the Menu button in the lower left corner (the round touch button which has a menu and an arrow illustrated
3. Select New from the Service menu
4. Rename your Service to something other than Untitled
5. Enter your User Name
6. Enter your password by tapping on the –Prompt- or if your password changes every time you make a new
connection then leave it as it is.
7. For Connection select the same one that you just created in Prefs-Connection (e.g. Nokia).
8. Enter your ISP's dial-up number
9. Tap on Details... to enter further settings if required by your ISP.
1.3.1 Making a dial-up connection
At this stage, you can connect to the ISP. However, you will now require third-party applications for accessing
information services such as E-Mail, WWW, Chat, etc.
Copyright ã 2000. Nokia
All rights reserved.