• Only the BN-R1211 battery can be recharged.
• If the power delivered by the batteries lasts for a very short
time after recharging, it means that the batteries' service life is
over. Do not use them any more.
• Recharging already charged batteries will shorten their service life.
• When recharging batteries for the first time or when they have
not been used for a long period of time, the play time may be
shorter than usual. In a case like this, repeatedly recharge and dis-
charge the batteries. This will restore them to their regular state.
• Do not allow any metal objects to touch the terminals of re-
chargeable batteries since this may cause short-circuiting which
• Do not peel off the plastic covering on the rechargeable batter-
ies. Short-circuiting may occur which is dangerous.
Dry cell batteries / rechargeable
To prevent damage to the batteries and electrolyte leakage, heed
the following points.
• Align the , and . polarities properly when inserting the batteries.
• Do not mix different types or makes of batteries or old and new
• Remove the batteries if you do not plan to use the unit for a
long period of time.
• Do not throw batteries into a fire, and do not short-circuit, dis-
assemble or subject them to excessive heat.
• Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries.
Carrying dry cell batteries /
rechargeable batteries around
When putting dry cell or rechargeable batteries in a pocket or
bag, ensure that no other metal objects such as a necklace are
placed together with them. Contact with metal may cause short-
circuiting which, in turn, may cause a fire.
Be absolutely sure to carry the rechargeable batteries in the bat-
tery carrying case.
Portable CD player
: Compact disc player
Signal detection system : Non-contact optical pickup (semiconductor laser)
: 3 beam laser
Number of channels:
: 2 channels (stereo)
: 20 Hz to 20 000 Hz
Wow & flutter
: Headphones (3.5 mm dia. stereo × 1)
9 mW/ch at 10 % THD/16 Ω matching impedance (16 Ω to 1 kΩ)
LINE OUT (3.5 mm dia. stereo × 1) 0.6 V/50 kΩ
Duration of battery
: Approx. 3 hours when using two rechargeable batteries
(BN-R1211) charged for 10 hours,
Approx. 20 hours when using two alkaline batteries (LR6-Panasonic)
Approx. 40 hours when using two alkaline batteries and two external
alkaline batteries together.
: DC 3 V ("R6" size battery × 2)
DC 2.4 V (rechargeable battery × 2)
DC IN 4.5 V
Dimensions (W × H × D) : 138.5 mm × 31 mm × 145 mm
(Excluding buttons and controls)
: Approx. 255 g
Input power source
: AC 230 V, 50 Hz (for the U.K.)
AC 220 V-240 V/110 V-127 V, 50/60 Hz (for multi voltage area)
: DC 4.5 V, 600 mA
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
When purchasing rechargeable batteries
As a safety precaution, the portable CD players made by JVC
have a construction designed to make it impossible to recharge
To use rechargeable batteries, be absolutely sure to purchase the
rechargeable Ni-Cd batteries designed especially for this unit.
Special rechargeable Ni-Cd batteries:
BN-R1211 (set of 2)
For details, check with your dealer.
Ordinary dry cell
Notice about the rechargeable battery
The battery is designated recyclable.
Please follow your local recycling regulations.
• Handle the AC adaptor carefully. Improper handling is dangerous.
• Do not touch it with wet hands.
• Do not place heavy objects on top of it.
• Do not forcibly bend it.
• Be sure to connect only the AC adaptor provided with the unit.
• Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet if the unit is
not going to be used for a long time.
No altering or remodeling
This can cause malfunctioning.
No dropping or strong impacts
This may damage the unit.
Locations to be avoided
Avoid using the unit in the following locations since they can
1. Bathrooms and other moisture-prone places.
2. Warehouses and other dusty places
3. Very hot places near heating appliances, etc.
Do not leave the unit exposed to direct sunlight for
long periods of time
This may deform or discolor the cabinet and may also cause mal-
• Do not play your headphones at a high volume. Hearing ex-
perts advise against continuous extended play.
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or dis-
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle. It may create a
traffic hazard and is illegal in many areas.
• You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use
in potentially hazardous situations.
• Even if your headphones is an open-air type designed to let you
hear outside sounds, don't turn up the volume so high that you
can't hear what's around you.