Single needle direct drive needle feed lock stitcher with thread trimmer (74 pages)
Summary of Contents for Brother S-7100A-403
S-7100A INSTRUCTION MANUAL Please read this manual before using the machine. Please keep this manual within easy reach for quick reference. SINGLE NEEDLE DIRECT DRIVE STRAIGHT LOCK STITCHER WITH THREAD TRIMMER...
Thank you very much for buying a BROTHER sewing machine. Before using your new machine, please read the safety instructions and the explanations given in the instruction manual. With industrial sewing machines, it is normal to carry out work while positioned directly in front of moving parts such as the needle and thread take-up, and consequently there is always a danger of injury that can be caused by these parts.
SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS  Safety indications and their meanings This instruction manual and the indications and symbols that are used on the machine itself are provided in order to ensure safe operation of this machine and to prevent accidents and injury to yourself or other people. The meanings of these indications and symbols are given below.
Contact your Brother dealer or a qualified electrician for any electrical work that may need to Secure the table so that it will not move when tilting be done.
If the table moves, it may crush your feet or cause other injuries. Ask your Brother dealer or a qualified electrician to carry out any maintenance and inspection of the Use both hands to hold the machine head when electrical system.
The following warning labels appear on the sewing machine. Please follow the instructions on the labels at all times when using the machine. If the labels have been removed or are difficult to read, please contact your nearest Brother dealer. Touching areas where high voltages are present can Be careful not to get your hands result in severe injury.
Transformer box (100 V/400 V system only) Control box Oil tank 0591D S-7100A...
If the table moves, it may crush your feet or cause other injuries. Contact your Brother dealer or a qualified electrician for any electrical work that may need to be done. Use both hands to hold the machine head when tilting it back or returning it to its original position.
2. INSTALLATION 2-1. Table processing diagram ・ The top of the table should be 40 mm in thickness and should be strong enough to hold the weight and with-stand the vibration of the sewing machine. ・ Drill holes as indicated in the illustration below. Head rest hole Cotton stand hole Cord hole...
2. INSTALLATION 3. Rubber cushions (1) Rubber cushions [2 pcs] (2) Nails [4 pcs] (3) Head cushions (left) [2 pcs] (4) Head cushions (right) [2 pcs] 0479D 4. Machine head (1) Hinges [2 pcs] (2) Machine head (3) Head rest NOTE: ・...
2. INSTALLATION 5. Knee lifter plate 0481D <Knee lifter adjustment> 1. Turn the machine pulley so that the feed dog is below the top of the needle plate. 2. Lower the presser foot (1) by using the lifting lever (2). 3.
2. INSTALLATION 2-3. Lubrication CAUTION Do not connect the power cord until lubrication has been completed, otherwise the machine may operate if the treadle is depressed by mistake, which could result in injury. Be sure to wear protective goggles and gloves when handling the lubricating oil, so that it does not get into your eyes or onto your skin.
2. INSTALLATION 2-4. Connecting the cords CAUTION Contact your Brother dealer or a qualified electrician When securing the cords, do not bend the cords for any electrical work that may need to be done. excessively or fasten them too hard with staples,...
2. INSTALLATION 2-4-2. Other cords For Europe specifications, Americas 220V specifications and 100 V/400 V system specifications, connect the cords according to the respective specifications. <Europe specifications> (1) Filter box (2) Screws [4 pcs] (3) Connector (4) CE bush plate (5) Screws [2 pcs] (6) CE D cord cover (7) Screws [2 pcs]...
2. INSTALLATION 3. Install the cores (10) in the two places shown in the illustration. (10) Core [2 pcs] (11) Screws [2 pcs] (12) Washers [2 pcs] (13) Nuts [2 pcs] 0588D S-7100A...
2. INSTALLATION <For Americas 220V specifications> (1) Power switch (2) Screws [2 pcs] Operator 4145M (3) 3-pin power supply connector (4) Power cord (5) Staples [5 pcs] 1. Attach an appropriate plug to the power cord (4). (The green and yellow wire is the ground wire.) 2.
3. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (BASIC OPERATIONS) 3. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (BASIC OPERATIONS) 3-1. Names and functions ・ The operation panel keys cannot be operated while sewing is in progress. Select the keys and set the number of stitches before starting sewing. ・...
3. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (BASIC OPERATIONS) Power indicator 0489D Thread trimming disable/F1 key When this key is pressed so that the indicator illuminates, the sewing machine stops in the needle up position without thread trimming being carried out even if the treadle is depressed backward.
3. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (BASIC OPERATIONS) 3-2. Sewing start and end backtack stitches 0841M Setting start backtack stitches For example, 3 stitches and 4 stitches 0499D Setting end backtack stitches Example: 0500D Start backtacking is carried out. After it has finished, normal sewing continues for as long as the treadle remains depressed.
3. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (BASIC OPERATIONS) 3-3. Sewing continuous backtack stitches 3655M Setting continuous backtack stitches Example: 0501D If the treadle is simply depressed continuously, the number of stitches set for A, B, C and D will be sewn in a single cycle, the thread will be trimmed automatically and then the needle bar will stop in the needle up position.
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) The operations described in this section should only be carried out by a technician. 4-1. Switching the 4-column display ・ The 4-column data in the display can be changed to one of the following three statuses each time the SEL key is pressed. Stitch number display or no display ...
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-2-2. Setting the start backtack sewing speed Press the SEL key so that the SPEED indicator is illuminated. ・ The maximum sewing speed setting value will appear in the four columns of the display.
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-3. Setting the counters The lower thread counter, thread trimming counter and needle replacement counter can be displayed. The three counters can be operated at the same time. 4-3-1. Lower thread counter The lower thread counter can be used to let you know approximately how much lower thread is remaining. <Setting the lower thread counter initial value>...
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-3-2. Thread trimming counter The lower thread counter can be used to let you know approximately how many items can be sewn. Press the SEL key so that the COUNT indicator is illuminated. ・...
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-3-3. Needle replacement counter <Setting the needle replacement counter initial value> Press the SEL key so that the COUNT indicator is illuminated. ・ The lower thread counter value will appear in the four columns of the display. 0509D When the FUNC key is pressed two times, the needle replacement counter display will appear.
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-4. Setting basic functions If you turn on the power switch while pressing the thread trimming disable/F1 key, you can then make the following settings. Four columns Setting item Initial value Reference item display Needle down Updn...
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-4-2. Correction sewing When correction sewing is enabled, sewing will be carried out at slow speed (220 sti/min) while the actuator switch is being pressed when the sewing machine is stopped. Activating setting mode (Setting item) (While pressing the thread trimming disable/F1 key, turn on the power switch.)
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-4-3. Setting thread wiping The initial setting value is ON. If the thread wiper is connected but thread wiping is not to be carried out, change this setting to OFF. Activating setting mode (Setting item) (While pressing the thread trimming disable/F1 key, turn on the power switch.)
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-5. Adjusting the needle up stop position 0526D (While pressing the , turn on the power switch.) “MorG” will appear in the display (2). Selecting “UPoS” (Setting item) (Press once) 0527D Needle up stop position setting ・...
4. USING THE OPERATION PANEL (ADVANCED OPERATIONS) 4-6. Resetting all settings to their defaults If the sewing machine stops operating normally, the cause may be that an incorrect setting may have been made for the memory data by means of memory switches, for instance. In such cases, it may be possible to restore normal operation by following the steps given below to initialize the memory setting data.
5. CLEANING . CLEANING CAUTION Turn off the power switch before carrying out cleaning. The machine may operate if the treadle is depressed by mistake, which could result in injury. Be sure to wear protective goggles and gloves when handling the lubricating oil and grease, so that they do not get into your eyes or onto your skin, otherwise inflammation can result.
When replacing parts and installing optional accessories, be sure to use only genuine Brother parts. Brother will not be held responsible for any accidents or problems resulting from the use of non-genuine parts. <Fixed knife>...
7. STANDARD ADJUSTMENTS 7-2. Adjusting the presser foot height The standard height of the presser foot (1) is 6 mm when the presser foot (1) is raised by means of the lifting lever (2). 1. Loosen the nut (3) of the adjustment screw (4), and then turn the adjustment screw (4) so that there is no pressure applied to the presser foot.
7. STANDARD ADJUSTMENTS Adjusting of the feed dog height The standard height of the feed dog (1) when it is raised as 3862M far as possible above the surface of the needle plate is 0.8 <-03> mm for -03 specifications, 1.0 mm for -03A specifications 0.8mm and 1.2 mm for -05 specifications.
7. STANDARD ADJUSTMENTS 7-5. Adjusting the needle bar height Reference line (a), which is the second line from the bottom of the needle bar (1) (fourth line from the bottom when using a DA x 1 needle) should be aligned with the lower edge of the needle bar bush D (2) as shown in the illustration when the needle bar (1) is at its lowest position.
7. STANDARD ADJUSTMENTS 7-7. Adjusting the needle and rotary hook timing The tip of the rotary hook (3) should be aligned with the 2290M 2291M center of the needle (4) when the needle bar (1) moves up 1.8 mm (2.2 mm for –03A and –05 specifications) from its lowest position to the position where reference line (b) is aligned with the lower edge of the needle bar bush (2) as 0.5 - 0.7 mm...
7. STANDARD ADJUSTMENTS 7-8. Adjusting the rotary hook lubrication amount CAUTION Be careful not to touch your fingers or the lubrication amount check sheet against moving parts such as the rotary hook or the feed mechanism when checking the amount of oil supplied to the rotary hook, otherwise injury may result.
8. TROUBLESHOOTING 8. TROUBLESHOOTING ・ Please check the following points before calling for repairs or service. ・ If the following remedies do not fix the problem, turn off the power switch and consult a qualified technician or the place of purchase.
8. TROUBLESHOOTING Problem Possible cause Page Skipped stitches at sewing ・ Is the thread take-up spring tension too strong? start Reduce the tension of the thread take-up spring. Thread unravelling at ・ Is the thread take-up spring operating range too large? sewing start Lower the position of the thread take-up spring.
Attach the anti-spin spring. ・ Is the bobbin turning smoothly? If the bobbin is not turning smoothly, replace the bobbin. ・ Is a bobbin other that the light-alloy bobbins specified by Brother being used? Use only bobbins which are specified by Brother.
8. TROUBLESHOOTING Problem Possible cause Page Broken needles ・ Is the material being pushed or pulled with excessive force during sewing? ・ Is the needle properly installed? If it is incorrect, install the needle correctly. ・ Is the needle bent, is the needle tip broken, or is the needle hole blocked? Replace the needle.
8. TROUBLESHOOTING 8-2. Error code displays If an error code appears on the operation panel display 1. Make a note of the error code and then turn off the power. 2. After the operation panel display has turned off, eliminate the cause of the error and then turn the power back on.
8. TROUBLESHOOTING Error code Possible cause Page E090 ・ Is the 3-pin treadle connector inside the control box disconnected? Turn off the power switch, and then check that the 3-pin treadle connector is Treadle connected to connector P3 on the main PCB. connector is not ・...
8. TROUBLESHOOTING Error code Possible cause Page E150 ・ This is displayed when the motor becomes abnormally hot and the temperature protection has activated. Motor is After the temperature has dropped, turn on the power switch and operate the overheating. sewing machine as normal.
8. TROUBLESHOOTING Error code Possible cause Page E701 ・ Does the power supply voltage match the control box voltage specifications? Check that the voltage matches. Abnormally high Check the connection of the 5-pin transformer connector inside the control box. power supply (220 V AC: P12, 230 V AC: P13) voltage.