CASSIOPEIA (Hardware Manual) User documentation consists of two manuals: CASSIOPEIA User’s Guide and this booklet. Be sure to read this manual first. Be sure to read the Safety Precautions contained in this manual to ensure proper operation of this product.
• CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. assumes no responsibility for any damage or loss resulting from the use of this manual. • CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. assumes no responsibility for any loss or claims by third parties that may arise through the use of this product.
Safety Precautions Congratulations upon your selection of the CASSIOPEIA. Be sure to read the following Safety Precautions before trying to use it for the first time. Note All mentions of “the unit” in the following precautions refer to the CASSIOPEIA.
• Should the unit ever fall or otherwise become damaged, unplug the AC adapter from the power outlet, remove batteries, and contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider. Continued use creates the danger of fire and electrical shock.
Memory Protection • Be sure to keep separate copies of all important data by saving it on a computer hard disk or other medium. Note that all data stored in unit memory is deleted whenever batteries go dead. Memory contents can also become lost or corrupted due to malfunction and repair of the unit.
• Should the power cord ever become seriously damaged (internal wiring exposed or shorted), contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider to request servicing. Continued use of a seriously damaged power cord creates the danger of fire and electrical shock.
Display Screen Precautions • Never apply strong pressure to the LCD screen or subject it to strong impact. Doing so can cause the LCD panel glass to crack or break. • Should the LCD panel glass ever crack or break, never touch the liquid inside of the panel.
• High humidity • Sudden temperature changes • Large amounts of dust • If you drop the CASSIOPEIA and damage it, immediately turn off power and contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider. Never continue using a damaged unit.
• Never use thinner, benzene, cosmetics, or other volatile agents to clean the exterior of the CASSIOPEIA. Use only a dry soft cloth or a soft cloth moistened with a weak solution of water and mild neutral detergent.
Charge the battery as soon as possible.” appears on the display when you turn on power or while you are using the CASSIOPEIA soon after you correctly charge the battery, it probably means that the built-in battery pack has reached the end of its normal service life.
2. Disconnect the battery pack connector and remove the battery pack. Connector...
Connecting the Cradle to a Computer ... 22 Using the CASSIOPEIA USB Cable ... 22 To connect to a computer using the CASSIOPEIA USB cable ... 23 Using the CASSIOPEIA Serial Cable ... 23 To connect to a computer using the CASSIOPEIA serial cable ... 24 Required System Configuration ...
To install a CompactFlash card ... 28 Using a PC Card Unit ... 29 To connect your CASSIOPEIA to the PC Card Unit ... 29 To remove the CASSIOPEIA from the PC Card Unit ... 30 About Modem Adapter (U.S. and Canada Only) ... 30 Software Applications ...
1. Use the AC adapter to charge the battery pack. Important • Make sure you charge the battery pack before using your CASSIOPEIA for the first time. The CASSIOPEIA will not work until you charge its battery pack. 2. While holding down the [Power] button, use the stylus to press the [Reset] button.
Where to go for information... Your CASSIOPEIA comes with two manuals: this Hardware Manual and a separate CASSIOPEIA User’s Guide. Be sure to read the contents of this Hardware Manual first. What should I do after reading this Hardware Manual? Read the CASSIOPEIA User’s Guide next to find out about the powerful software...
Operations General Guide Strap hole Fixed Icons Tap an icon to launch the program assigned to it. See the CASSIOPEIA User’s Guide for details. Top Menu button Press to display the Top Menu. See the CASSIOPEIA User’s Guide for details.
• Take care to avoid breaking the tip of the stylus. • Use only the stylus that comes with the CASSIOPEIA, or some other stylus type instrument with a soft, blunt point to perform screen operations. Never use a pen, pencil, or other sharp writing implement.
Removing the cover Gently pull outwards on either of the cover hinges indicated by the arrows in the illustration until the hinge is free, and then remove the cover. Make sure you do not apply excessive force when removing the cover. Recalibrating the Touch Screen You should recalibrate the touch screen whenever touch screen response is bad, or when the operation performed is different from the operation you expected when...
The cradle provides quick and easy connection between your CASSIOPEIA and a computer. Your CASSIOPEIA can also be powered from an AC power source when it is placed on the cradle. • The battery pack charges while the CASSIOPEIA is on the cradle. See page 32 for more information. Important Before connecting your CASSIOPEIA to a computer, make sure you first install the PC Connect software on your computer.
Use the position that suits the configuration of the CASSIOPEIA unit you are setting on the cradle. Important Make sure that CASSIOPEIA power is turned off before you place it onto or remove it from the cradle. Use the following procedure to place the unit onto the cradle.
4. Orient the CASSIOPEIA in relation to the cradle as shown in the illustration below. 5. Taking care to align the serial connector on the bottom of the CASSIOPEIA with the connector on the cradle, lower the CASSIOPEIA into the cradle as shown in the illustration below.
Quick Start Guide for information about how to install PC Connect, and PC Connect online help for information about how to use it. Using the CASSIOPEIA USB Cable You can use the CASSIOPEIA USB cable to connect the CASSIOPEIA directly to a computer. Important •...
2. Turn off your CASSIOPEIA. 3. Connect the other end of the USB cable to your CASSIOPEIA. Using the CASSIOPEIA Serial Cable You can use the CASSIOPEIA serial cable to connect the CASSIOPEIA directly to a computer. Important • Be sure to turn off the CASSIOPEIA and your computer before connecting the CASSIOPEIA.
To connect to a computer using the CASSIOPEIA serial cable Important Before connecting your CASSIOPEIA to a computer, make sure you first install the PC Connect software on your computer. Use the steps below to connect the CASSIOPEIA to your computer when prompted to do so during the software installation procedure.
• VGA graphics card or compatible video graphics adapter with 256 color or higher • Keyboard • Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device Note • CASSIOPEIA Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Mail data can be synchronized with ® Microsoft Outlook 97/98/2000. However, note that the minimum system requirements to run Microsoft Outlook •...
Using the AC Adapter You can use the AC adapter to directly power the CASSIOPEIA or to supply power through the cradle. The battery pack charges while the CASSIOPEIA is directly connected to a power source by the AC adapter or while it is on the cradle. See page 32 for more information.
A storage card functions the same as the CASSIOPEIA’s data storage memory. You can use a storage card to store the various files created by your CASSIOPEIA, and you can even install programs on a storage card. Data you store on a storage card is retained...
3. Slide the card you want to use into the card slot. • Make sure the top of the card is facing towards the top of the CASSIOPEIA unit. A card that is not oriented correctly will not slide all the way into the slot.
3. Slide your CASSIOPEIA onto the PC Card Unit as shown in the illustration below. • Make sure the CompactFlash card connector of the PC Card Unit slides into the CASSIOPEIA card slot as far as it will go. This causes the CASSIOPEIA to lock in place on the PC Card Unit.
PC Card Unit. About Modem Adapter (U.S. and Canada Only) Use of a modem adapter lets you use your CASSIOPEIA to access the Internet over an analog dial-up connection. See the documentation that comes with the modem card for information about how to use it.
Note the following precautions concerning the CASSIOPEIA’s rechargeable battery. • We recommend that you use the Power dialog box to keep informed about the current levels of your battery. See the separate CASSIOPEIA User’s Guide for more information about this dialog box.
• You can use your CASSIOPEIA while the battery pack is charging. Important • Do not use the CASSIOPEIA while it is charging for the first time after you purchase • If the battery does not achieve full charge after the normal charge time, unplug the AC adapter from the cradle to stop charging.
The following illustration shows how to connect the AC adapter directly to the CASSIOPEIA for charging. • Charging starts automatically as soon as you attach the AC adapter to the CASSIOPEIA. • Direct connection charging conditions are the same as those described for cradle...
Resetting the CASSIOPEIA and Restoring Data What does resetting the CASSIOPEIA do? Resetting your CASSIOPEIA is the same as restarting your computer. Performing a reset causes any data you are working on but have not saved yet to be lost, but data saved in memory and other settings are basically left unchanged.
If your CASSIOPEIA does not operate normally and the reset procedures under “To reset your CASSIOPEIA” on page 34 and “What to do if resetting does not solve the problem” on page 35 do not correct the problem, you should be able to restore normal operation using any one of the following procedures.
Connect, and establish a connection between the computer and your CASSIOPEIA. 6. Tap [PC Connection]. • This establishes a connection between your CASSIOPEIA and computer. In response to the dialog box that appears to ask if you want to start up by restoring backup data, tap [OK].
• Pressing [ESC] in step 4 exits the above procedure and starts the normal reset procedure under “To reset your CASSIOPEIA” on page 34. • Press the [Power] button in step 4 of the above procedure turns off the CASSIOPEIA. You can then turn power back on and perform a normal reset.
• The following screen appears after you finish touch screen calibration. 5. Insert the storage card that contains the backed up data into the CASSIOPEIA’s card slot. 6. Tap [Storage Card]. • This starts the backup operation.
You can use the procedure below to restore the CASSIOPEIA to its factory defaults in the following cases. • When the procedures under “To reset your CASSIOPEIA” on page 34 and “What to do if resetting does not solve the problem” on page 35 do not restore normal operation •...
• After restoration is complete, a message appears on your computer screen asking if you want to restart your CASSIOPEIA. 10. Click [OK]. • This restarts your CASSIOPEIA. • On your CASSIOPEIA, perform the steps under “What to do if resetting does not solve the problem” on page 35.
Before assuming malfunction and contacting your service provider when experiencing operational problems, be sure to check the following information as well as the troubleshooting section of the CASSIOPEIA User’s Guide first. Nothing happens when the [Power] button is pressed. Possible Cause The battery is weak.
Possible Cause Internal malfunction A message about a data error is on the screen. Possible Cause Internal malfunction Some other warning message is on the screen. Possible Cause Internal malfunction If the reset operation does not restore normal operation, perform the steps under “What to do if resetting does not solve the problem”...
Appendix Button Operations The following shows the function of each button under various conditions. Unit Power Off [Power] Button ... Turns on power. Unit Power On [Power] Button + [OK] Button ... Launches the touch screen [Power] Button + Cursor up ... Makes contrast darker. [Power] Button + Cursor down ...
Specifications Model: BE-300 240 × 320 dots Display: STN Color LCD (32,768 colors) CPU: VR4131 Memory: ROM 16MB Flash ROM RAM 16MB Interfaces: Serial: RS-232C, 115.2 kbps max. USB (Client) Card Slot: CompactFlash card, 3.3V Type I/TypeII Headphone jack: ø 3.5 mm stereo output Accepts monaural earphone, stereo earphones/headphones Power Supply Rechargeable battery (Lithium-Ion battery)
Connector ... BE-300 unit to Cradle Connector cable ... BE-300 unit to computer Model Number: BE-300 Trade Name: CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. Responsible party: CASIO, INC. Address: 570 MT. PLEASANT AVENUE, DOVER, NEW JERSEY 07801 Telephone number: 973-361-5400 This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules, Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
CASIO ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. Unit 6, 1000 North Circular Road London NW2 7JD, U.K.
CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. 6-2, Hon-machi 1-chome Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-8543, Japan PN411573-001 MO0108-A...