EG-800 Getting Started with the CASSIOPEIA (Hardware Manual) Be sure to read the Safety Precautions contained in this manual to ensure proper operation of this product. Keep this manual in a safe place for future reference.
• CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. assumes no responsibility for any damage or loss resulting from the use of this manual. • CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. assumes no responsibility for any loss or claims by third parties which may arise through the use of this product.
Safety Precautions Congratulations upon your selection of the CASSIOPEIA. Be sure to read the following Safety Precautions before trying to use it for the first time. Note All mentions of “the unit” in the following precautions refer to the CASSIOPEIA. Markings and Symbols The following are the meanings of the markings and symbols used in these Safety Precautions.
• Should the unit ever fall or otherwise become damaged, unplug the AC adapter from the power outlet, remove batteries, and contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider. Continued use creates the danger of fire and electrical shock.
Rechargeable Battery Pack • Never try to take apart the battery pack or modify it in any way. The battery pack has built-in safety and protection mechanisms that ensure safe operation. Damaging these mechanisms creates the danger of fire, smoke emission, and explosion.
• Should the power cord ever become seriously damaged (internal wiring exposed or shorted), contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider to request servicing. Continued use of a seriously damaged power cord creates the danger of fire and electrical shock.
• Unplug the AC adapter from the wall outlet whenever leaving the unit unattended for long periods. • At least once a year, unplug the AC adapter from the power outlet and clean the area around the prongs of the plug. Dust build up around the prongs can create the danger of fire.
• Large amounts of dust • If you drop the CASSIOPEIA and damage it, immediately turn off power and contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider. Never continue using a damaged unit. • Never place heavy objects on top of the CASSIOPEIA.
• Never try to take the CASSIOPEIA apart. Doing so can cause malfunction. • Never insert foreign objects into connectors, slots, or other openings. • Take care to avoid spilling water or drinks on the CASSIOPEIA. • Use only the stylus that comes with the CASSIOPEIA to press the RESET button. •...
Important • The TFT color LCD is a product of the latest color LCD manufacturing technology. However, virtually all TFT color LCDs have a very small number of pixels (about 0.01% of the total number of pixels) that do not turn on or always remain turned on. This is normal and does not indicate malfunction.
Contents Safety Precautions ... 3 Markings and Symbols ... 3 Health Precautions ... 3 Precautions During Use ... 4 Rechargeable Battery Pack ... 5 AC Adapter ... 6 Operating Precautions ... 8 Terms and Symbols used in this manual ... 12 Getting Ready ...
Resetting the Unit ... 30 Performing a Reset ... 30 Memory Error Message ... 31 Full Reset (Memory Initialize) ... 32 Performing a Full Reset ... 32 Errors Following a Full Reset ... 33 Using Peripherals ... 34 Using the AC Adapter ... 34 Using the AC Adapter/Charger (CH-C59200U) ...
Where can I find out about the bundled software? Your CASSIOPEIA comes with a collection of standard Pocket PC programs from Microsoft, plus a collection of original programs from CASIO. I Microsoft Programs See the Pocket PC User’s Guide for details on Pocket Outlook (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Inbox), Pocket Excel, Pocket Word, Pocket Internet Explorer, and Notes from Microsoft.
Software Applications Software applications are available for purchase from Microsoft and third parties who support Windows CE. For details on commercially available software applications, contact your local retailer or visit the Microsoft Web site at http://www.microsoft.com. Important • Whenever purchasing software applications, always double-check to make sure that it is compatible with the CASSIOPEIA.
Operations General Guide Charge indicator (Amber/Green) Lights amber when the battery pack is charging and turns green when full charge is achieved. Power button Turns power on and off. Start button (Program button) Press to display the Start menu. Action control See “About the [Action] Control”...
Card lock switch If the inserted card has a lock, this switch locks the card in place so it does not come out accidentally. Main battery (rechargeable battery pack) About the [Action] Control Operations can be performed by pressing and rotating the [Action] control. Pressing the [Action] control performs an operation similar to the Enter key of a...
Attaching the Strap Attach the strap to the CASSIOPEIA as shown in the illustration below. 1. Attach the card slot cover to the CASSIOPEIA. 2. Pass the strap loop through the strap hole and then pass the other end of the strap through the loop as shown below.
Using the Touch Screen Sheet The touch screen sheet that comes with the unit protects the touch screen against scratching and other damage. Use the following procedure to affix the sheet to the touch screen. Important • When setting the touch screen sheet in place, take care not to press down on the touch screen too hard.
Drip-proofing Your CASSIOPEIA is drip-proof, which means it is able to withstand exposure to moderate amounts of rain, snow, and other moisture. Note, however, that drip-proofing is ensured only when the CASSIOPEIA’s rechargeable battery pack and the three covers (jack cover, card slot cover, serial connector cover) are securely and correctly in place.
Installing the Card Slot Cover The following shows things you must do and things you need to avoid when installing the card slot cover. Example of incomplete closing The middle of the cover is still raised, which can allow moisture to get inside. Proper and complete sealing Card cover open Place the cover onto the card slot, and press one...
Closing the Serial Connector Cover The following shows things you must do and things you need to avoid when closing the serial connector cover. Finally press the center of the cover and check to make sure that it closes completely. Example of incomplete closing A large gap is present in the center of the cover because it was not pressed into the slot properly.
Note • See page 27 for information about properly attaching the rechargeable battery pack. Press one side of the serial connector cover with your finger. While continually applying pressure, slide your finger to the other side of the cover so it closes completely.
Using the Stylus Data input and virtually all other operations are performed using a stylus, which is housed inside the stylus holder in the higher right corner of the CASSIOPEIA. The following defines the various operations that you can perform with the stylus. Tap ...
Adjusting Display Contrast Perform the following operations to adjust display contrast and make figures on the display darker or lighter. • Tap and then Settings. On the System tab, tap Brightness. Follow the instructions on your screen for adjusting the contrast. •...
External AC Power Connecting the AC adapter adapter jack on the left side of the CASSIOPEIA unit provides power in place of the main battery. AC power is also supplied through the power terminals on the bottom of the CASSIOPEIA whenever it is placed on the cradle •...
• Data stored in memory can be lost if you continue operation after the low battery message appears or if you incorrectly load batteries. Be sure to always back up important data on your desktop computer hard disk or on a CompactFlash Card. See ActiveSync Help for information about backing up files to a desktop computer.
Replacing the Battery Pack (Main Battery) 1. Make sure the CASSIOPEIA is turned off. • If power is on, press the [Power] button to turn it off. 2. Turn the CASSIOPEIA over. 3. Use a coin or screwdriver to rotate the battery lock counterclockwise. Next, remove the battery pack.
• The time required to attain a full charge is greatly affected by ambient temperature and the type of operations you perform on the CASSIOPEIA while charging is taking place. • You can normally operate the CASSIOPEIA while charging is taking place. However, you will not be able to perform any operation when setting up the CASSIOPEIA the first time after you purchased it, or while charging a new battery pack for the first time.
3. Slide the card release to the Free position. 4. If there is already a card in the slot, use the stylus to press the EJECT button straight down, and remove the card. 5. Slide the card you want to use into the card slot. •...
Important • Take care so either of the units does not move while infrared data communications are in progress. • Infrared data communications may be impossible under strong sunlight or inverter type fluorescent lighting. • Infrared data communication problems can be caused by the distance between the two ports, the angle between the two ports, outdoor sunlight, and low batteries.
• The unit performs a reset followed by a memory check operation. If no data error is found, the following two screens appear on the display in succession. • Startup screen • Desktop 2. Normal unit operation is possible after the desktop appears. •...
Important Do not use the ActiveSync backup function to back up data to a computer when you suspect a data error. Doing so may also include the corrupted data that is causing your problem, which means the problem will reappear when you restore the data. Full Reset (Memory Initialize) Full reset (memory initialize) deletes all data, and resets all unit parameters to their initial defaults.
[Record] button. Errors Following a Full Reset If errors continue to persist even after you perform a full reset, it can mean that your CASSIOPEIA is defective. Contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider to request servicing.
Using Peripherals This section explains use of the various peripherals that are available for use with the CASSIOPEIA. Using the AC Adapter You can use the AC adapter to directly power the CASSIOPEIA or to supply power through the cradle. The battery pack charges while the CASSIOPEIA is directly connected to a power source by the AC adapter or while it is on the cradle.
Using the AC Adapter/Charger (CH-C59200U) As its name suggests, the AC Adapter/Charger functions as both a charger for the battery pack and as an AC adapter. I To charge a battery pack mounted on the AC adapter/charger 1. Plug the AC adapter/charger into a wall outlet as shown in the illustration. AC power cord 2.
3. After charging is complete, slide the EJECT switch in the direction indicated by the arrow and remove the battery pack from the AC adapter/charger. EJECT switch Important • Unplug the AC power cord from the wall outlet when you are not using the AC adapter/charger.
Using the Cradle The cradle provides quick and easy connection between your CASSIOPEIA and a personal computer. Data passes between the CASSIOPEIA and cradle over a non- contact infrared link. CASSIOPEIA can also be powered from an AC power source when it is placed on the cradle.
Note • Use of a USB connection requires installation of the USB driver on your computer. • You can also use the AC adapter/charger in place of the AC adapter in the above configuration. See page 35 I To connect using a 16-pin serial cable Important Be sure to turn off the CASSIOPEIA and your computer before connecting the cradle.
Use the following procedure to place the unit onto the cradle. 1. Place the cradle on a desk or other flat, level surface. 2. Turn off the CASSIOPEIA. 3. Place the CASSIOPEIA onto the cradle as shown in the illustration. 4.
Using the Serial Cable (20-pin) You can use the serial cable to connect the CASSIOPEIA directly to your computer. Important • See “Required System Configuration” on page 48 required for direct serial connection. • Be sure to turn off the CASSIOPEIA and your computer before connecting the CASSIOPEIA.
To connect to a computer using the CASSIOPEIA USB cable 1. Plug the USB cable into the USB port of your computer. 2. Turn off your CASSIOPEIA. 3. Connect the other end of the USB cable to your CASSIOPEIA. USB port CASSIOPEIA USB cable...
• Make sure you are in an area where your telephone signal is strong before trying to dial in to a computer. • Optionally available digital telephone cable (9-pin), available from your CASIO dealer • Commercially available GSM connecting cable...
Data communication may not be possible if you are within an area with poor signal reception, even though it is within the service area of your telephone service provider. Also note that noise can cause errors and make communication impossible, even though the signal is strong.
Troubleshooting Before assuming malfunction and contacting your service provider when experiencing operational problems, be sure to check the following information as well as the troubleshooting section of the Pocket PC User’s Guide first. Response to screen tap is exceedingly slow. Possible Cause Available memory is very low.
Purchase a new battery pack. Recommended Action Recalibrating the touch screen. Reset the unit. Contact your original dealer or an authorized CASIO service provider. The screen is locked up. Recommended Action Reset the unit. If resetting the unit does not correct the problem, perform a full reset (memory initialize).
Appendix Button Operations The following shows the function of each button under various conditions. Unit Power Off [Power] Button ... Turns on power. [Record] Button ... Turns on power, launches Notes application, starts [Calendar] Button ... Turns on power, displays Calendar screen. [Contacts] Button ...
Required System Configuration The minimum system configuration required for running ActiveSync below. ® ActiveSync 3.1 System Requirements • Microsoft ® Windows greater, Microsoft • Desktop computer with a Pentium processor for Windows NT (166MHz required for Windows 2000) • Desktop computer with a Pentium processor for Windows Me (150 MHz required for Windows Me) •...
Requirements for Mobile Channels or Mobile Favorites Support ® Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher. Internet Explorer 5.0 is included on the CD, which requires 56-98MB of hard disk space. Requirements for Microsoft Microsoft Outlook 2000 requires 153 MB of disk space for a full installation. 24 MB system RAM recommended.
Re-attaching the Jack Cover and Serial Connector Cover The following procedures describe how to re-attach the jack and serial connector covers to the CASSIOPEIA after they have been removed. Re-attaching the Jack Cover The following shows things you must do and things you need to avoid when re- attaching the jack cover.
Re-attaching the Serial Connector Cover The following shows things you must do and things you need to avoid when re- attaching the serial connector cover. Press down on one side of the jack cover and then slide your finger to the other side so it completely closes.
1 Press down on the cover with both thumbs. 2 Double check to make sure there are no gaps or unevenness between the cover and case. 3 If you discover a gap or unevenness, press down on the cover until it is eliminated. Check again to make sure that the serial connector cover is laying flat without any gaps around its edges.
Connector cable that comes with EG-800 ... EG-800 unit to desktop computer Model Number: EG-800 Trade Name: CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. Responsible party: CASIO, INC. Address: 570 MT. PLEASANT AVENUE, DOVER, NEW JERSEY 07801 Telephone number: 973-361-5400 This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules, Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
CASIO ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. Unit 6, 1000 North Circular Road London NW2 7JD, U.K.
CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD. 6-2, Hon-machi 1-chome Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-8543, Japan PN411455-001 Printed on recycled paper. Printed in Japan MO0011-011803B...