MIDI Data Format
MIDI messages received from an external device at MIDI
IN can be merged with the data generated by the CBX-K1,
and are transmitted as is from MIDI OUT. However, there
are some exceptions, as listed below:
* <<F4>>, <<F5>> and any subsequent data bytes will
not be merged.
* All Note Off message (<<Bn 7B 00>>) will not be
* When the CBX-K1 is set to send <<F8>> messages,
<<F8>> messages from an external device will not be
* When the CBX-K1 is not set to send <<F8>> messages,
<<F8>> messages from an external device can be
* <<FE>> will not be merged.
* When Merge is set to ON, and an <<FE>> message has
not been received for over approximately 600 ms, an
Active Sensing error occurs.
* With the exception of System Exclusive data, messages
not conforming to the legal byte format will not be
merged. System Exclusive data that doesn't conform to
the legal byte format can be merged.
* If during transmission of System Exclusive messages,
the messages are cut off or interrupted (for over ap-
proximately 400 ms), a MIDI error occurs.
* When Merge is set to on, and RPN/NRPN messages are
sent from both the CBX-K1 and an external device
connected to MIDI IN, the resulting messages will be
mixed and corrupted.
* When Merge is turned off while a key is held, a stuck
note results. This is because the CBX-K1 simply turns
Merge off, without changing the Note On status.
During merging of System Exclusive data, all operations
from the CBX-K1 are ignored, and <<FE>> and <<F8>>
messages from the CBX-K1 will be stopped. This may
cause some problems, as listed below:
* Any operations executed from the CBX-K1, in the
middle of a System Exclusive message (<<F0-F7>>)
sent from an external device, are ignored. CBX-K1
operations that start before or end after the System
Exclusive message will be incomplete. To avoid this
problem, be careful not to execute operations from both
the CBX-K1 and the external device at the same time.
* If the Merge function is not needed, turn Merge off or
disconnect the MIDI cable.
* Do not operate the CBX-K1 during reception of large
System Exclusive messages, such as bulk dumps.
Response of the CBX-K1 During MIDI Errors
When a MIDI reception error occurs (such as buffer full,
Active Sensing, interruption of System Exclusive, etc.), the
CBX-K1 responds as follows:
1. Merge is set to OFF.
2. The MIDI transmit/receive buffer is cleared.
3. Damper Off, All Note Off, All Sound Off messages are
transmitted over all channels.
4. Transmission of messages (including <<FE>> and
<<F8>>) are interrupted for approximately 0.8 seconds.
During this time, operations from the CBX-K1 are
5. The B lamp flashes, indicating a MIDI error.
1. Transmit Condition
<SW1> <SW2> <Filter>
Polyphonic key pressure *
All sound off
<<Bn 78 00>>
Reset all controller
<<Bn 79 00>>
All note off *
<<Bn 7B 00>>
Arbitrary 1byte data
*1 This applies only to the highest note played.
*2 This is output only when a MIDI error (such as Active
Sensing or buffer full) occurs.
<SW1> When the CBX-K1 is set to send <<F8>> mes-
sages, <<F8>> messages from the CBX-K1 will be
output. When the CBX-K1 is not set to send <<F8>>
messages, <<F8>> messages from the CBX-K1 will not
be output, but <<F8>> messages from a connected
external device will be merged.
<SW2> When Merge is set to ON, the incoming data is
<Filter> This is Merge On/Off for each channel.