Boating Tip #32: Honda 2 hp Outboard Operation
To START the Engine:
• Perform a brief safety and maintenance inspection.
• Make sure the outboard motor is properly installed on the dinghy transom and
that clamp screws are tightened.
• Check the fuel level in the tank. If the fuel level is low, fill the tank with regular
• Put the emergency stop switch clip in the engine stop switch and attach the other
end of the lanyard to your PFD.
• Open the fuel tank vent counterclockwise a couple of turns.
• Move the fuel lever valve to the ON position.
• Move the throttle grip to the START position.
• Pull the choke knob to the CLOSED position when starting a cold engine. (Move
the choke knob to the OPEN position when restarting a warm engine.)
• Pull the recoil starter grip.
• Allow the engine to warm up and gradually push the choke knob into the OPEN
• Steer by moving the tiller handle in the opposite direction you want the boat to
• If necessary, trim the angle of the outboard to compensate for weight, water or
• If after sunset, turn on the navigation lights.
To STOP the Engine:
• Pull on the lanyard and pull the clip out of the engine stop switch. (Or, move the
throttle grip lever to the SLOW position, and push and hold down the engine stop
button until the engine stops).
• Move the fuel valve lever to the OFF position.
• Close the fuel tank vent clockwise.
To Operate the Engine in REVERSE:
© 2006 Alison Osinski, Ph.D. – Aquatic Consulting Services. All rights reserved.