Install the Compactor
IMPORTANT: Do not grasp control panel to move compactor.
1. Move the compactor to its final position.
2. Grasp sides of compactor drawer and place bottom of drawer
into tracks. Lift at the handle so drawer will go over drawer stops.
Close drawer. Check to see that drawer opens freely. If the toe
plate rubs against floor, see "Adjusting the Toe Plate" for further
3. Plug into a grounded 3 prong outlet.
Adjusting the Toe Plate
If the toe plate rubs the floor covering, the toe plate clearance may
be changed as follows:
1. Mark on each side of the toe plate the amount of toe plate that
rubs the floor covering.
2. Remove the drawer from the unit. (See Step 3 in the "Unpacking"
3. Use a ruler and a pencil or chalk to draw a line between the
marks on each side of toe plate.
4. Use scissors or utility knife to cut toe plate along line.
5. Replace drawer. If toe plate still rubs floor covering, repeat steps
How Your Compactor Works
The compacting ram is the part of the compactor which compresses
the trash. The compacting ram does not go to the bottom of the
drawer. You will not see compacting of trash the first few times you
load the compactor.
NOTE: The compactor drawer should be more than
compactor can begin to compress the load.
You may hear a noise when glass breaks. Strong glass bottles may
not break at all. The trash in a full compactor bag will be about
size of its original bulk.
Load bulky trash, bottles, and cans in the center of the drawer.
Bottles or cans not placed in the center may become caught
between the ram and the drawer. The Drawer Monitor Switch then
senses a "misload" and causes the ram to return to the "up" position
Do not push items down into compactor with
hands or feet.
Doing so can result in cuts.
NOTE: You will not see compacting of trash the first few times you
load the compactor. The compactor drawer should be about
before the compactor can begin to compress the load.
1. Open the drawer. Lift and pull the handle or press the toe bar to
open the drawer.
NOTE: Pressing the toe bar opens the container only 3 in. to 6 in.
(7.6 cm to 15.2 cm), depending on the load.
2. Place trash in compactor.
full before the
Wrap or cover wet or messy trash.
Do not compact items that may develop offensive odors
such as raw meat, fish, grapefruit rinds, disposable diapers,
or personal hygiene items.
Load bottles or cans on their sides in the center of the
drawer. Do not load bottles in an upright position.
3. Close the drawer.
To start and stop the compactor
1. To start the compactor, turn the Key-Knob to START and then let
go. The compactor will automatically stop at the end of the cycle.
2. To stop the compactor during a cycle:
Turn the Key-Knob to LOCK/OFF.
Then turn the Key-Knob to ON so the compacting ram will
When the ram stops rising, you can open the drawer.
Starting the Compactor