This manual cannot be reproduced in any form without the prior written permission of SAMSUNG Electro-Mechanics Co., Ltd. SAMSUNG Electro-Mechanics Co., Ltd. reserves the right to change this manual and the specifications to improve products without prior notice. So you can get the most recent software and user documentation for all MagicLAN products on our web site.
Notice 2 The SWL-2100N and SWL-2100P complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions. (1) This device may not cause harmful interference. (2) This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
Important Safety Information l Read these simple guidelines. Breaking the rules may be dangerous or illegal. SAMSUNG will not be responsible for any damages caused by breaking the rules. l Wireless LAN Card described in this document is approved for use in a wireless local area network.
Product Name MagicLAN SWL-2100N MagicLAN SWL-2100P MagicLAN AP SWL-2100AP General Type PC Card Type II PCI 2.0 Dual Antenna N: Internal ANT Coverage Area** Open Space Up to 500m at 2Mbps / Up to 400m at 11Mbps Office Environment Up to 70m at 2Mbps / Up to 50m at 11Mbps Operating voltage 3.3V +/- 5%, 5V +/- 5%...
1. MagicLAN Installation 1.1 Introduction Thank you for your purchase of SAMSUNG MagicLAN (SWL-2100X) Wireless LAN Adapter. This new Adapter series includes two different models: SWL-2100N for PCMCIA- compatible computers and SWL-2100P for PCI-compatible computers. Installing either card allows the computer to join a wireless network based on the IEEE 802.11b (High Data Rate) wireless LAN standard.
• Infrastructure Network Infrastructure Network is architecture that provides communication between wireless clients and wired network resources. An Access Point (AP) and the associated wireless clients define the transition of data. So a wireless client can access all the services that are available for a regular wired LAN by using an AP.
• Scanning, Beaconing & ESS ID When a wireless client is initialized, it is necessary for it to find and communicate with the correct group of wireless devices, including AP. At this point, it may search for all the frequency channels and this process is called scanning. There may be multiple APs and networks operating at the same time.
• The MagicLAN supports various network software. The network driver is provided to support network software such as Windows 95(OSR2)/98, and Windows NT 4.0. • To install the Samsung MagicLAN Wireless LAN Card for Win 2000 and Win CE Operating Systems (OS), please visit our website at http://www.magiclan.com...
2. Before the Installation The following section will assist you in installing your wireless LAN Adapter successfully. You will first install software (driver) and then will insert the SWL-2100P or SWL-2100N wireless LAN card, and finally set the network properties to accommodate resource sharing and select the type of wireless network that you wish to install.
3. MagicLAN Installation for Windows 95 (OSR2)/98 There are two types of WLAN Cards i.e. PCMCIA and PCI cards for Notebook and Desktop PCs respectively. Here we explain the procedure of installing both cards under Windows 95(OSR2)/98 operating system (OS) one by one. We will explain the installation method for SWL-2100N PCMCIA adapter followed by the installation method for SWL- 2100P PCI adapter.
PC card. Also you will see the PCMCIA Card icon on the right bottom of your screen. 12. Check for the SAMSUNG 11Mbps Wireless PCMCIA LAN Card by right clicking on My Computer using the mouse. Select the Device manager and then Network Adapters.
SAMSUNG PCI/PCMCIA Bridge and SAMSUNG 11 Mbps PCI WLAN Card. 14. Check for the SAMSUNG 11Mbps Wireless PCI LAN Card by clicking on the Device manager. If you find the Yellow sign on the adapter, it shows the installation is not successful. Select the Adapter and click on Remove. Restart your computer after uninstalling (See the Uninstallation method in section 3.4)
select either static or dynamic settings. If you use the static IP setup then enter the IP value, DNS, Domain/Workgroup name, and Gateway Address values. After setting these parameters appropriately, click OK to return to Network Component Type and you can select the File and Printer Sharing options as well as the access to your computer by other users connected to that network by setting the appropriate options.
Insert the MagicLAN Installation CD into the CD-ROM drive. Type in D:\nt40 (Where D is the CD-drive of your Notebook) in the blank and click on OK. 8. In Select OEM Option box, we will see Samsung 11Mbps W ireless LAN Card and click on OK.
5. Since it is looking for the driver files, enter the path name D:\nt40 (where D is the CD drive of your Notebook PC) and click on Have Disk. It copies the driver files. And you can see Samsung 11Mbps Wireless LAN Card is added in your list of adapters.
Interrupt) for the proper system configuration set up and other parameters (network mode, ESS ID, and Tx rate) for the proper LAN card configuration. 7. Click on Bindings. 8. Click on the Protocol to access the network and share the resources. 9.
Insert the MagicLAN Installation CD into the CD-ROM drive. Type in D:\nt40 (Where D is the CD-drive of your Notebook) in the blank and click on OK. 9. In Select OEM Option box, we will see Samsung 11Mbps Wireless LAN Card and click on OK.
6. Since it is looking for the driver files, enter the path name D:\nt40 (where D is the CD drive of your Notebook PC) and click on Have Disk. It copies the driver files. And you can see Samsung 11Mbps Wireless LAN Card is added in your list of adapters.
5. Configuration Utility During the installation of your SAMSUNG Wireless LAN Card, configuration utility is also installed. You can see the icon at the right bottom of your screen. Double clicking on that icon will show you the screen as shown below.
Here we explain the use and meanings of the various screen messages. SAMSUNG 11Mbps Wireless LAN is the description of the vendor. MAC Address: MAC Address is the unique identification number (6 bytes in size) for the card and is assigned to WLAN card during manufacturing.
i.e. AP or Client Stations, is good, adequate or poor. Link Quality: This is the measure of the radio link. You can also visualize the connection status by seeing the following three different colors of Link Quality. • Green Color: The connection status is good. And the clients or AP should be able to communicate without disturbance.
cause the undesired results. WEP Required: WEP stands for Wired Equivalent Privacy. WEP is an encryption scheme that provides the secure wireless data communications to the users. WEP uses a 40-bit key to control the network access. In order to decode the data transmission, each wireless client on the network must use the identical 40-bit key.
If you select mandatory, you need to setup the AP also and enter the same Key for communicating other clients associated with the AP or with AP itself. WEP Key Generation: There are two ways of generating the WEP key. The first is by entering any text in the Passphrase.
Channels should be supported. The user must select the Region while installing the Samsung WLAN card and should select the correct channel number as listed in the above Table. The use of non-listed channel number is illegal and is prohibited. In case of Windows 95(OSR2)/98, user should select the country/region using the Install shield while in case of Windows NT, user must select the user by clicking on the Network Neighborhood while installing the software.
1. Click on the Control Panel and then on PCMCIA Card. Check whether it has PCI card in one of the sockets or not. If you find SAMSUNG 11Mbps Wireless PCI LAN Card in one of the sockets, it means the card is detected properly. If you see the...
2. Right click on My Computer and the select Properties. Select the Device Manager and click on the Network Adapter. You will find SAMSUNG 11Mbps Wireless PCI LAN Card if it is installed successfully. If you see the yellow sign the resources are conflicting.
PCMCIA or PCI, driver file swld11 and the status. If you find the Red or Yellow sign, there is some problem. 3. Click on the Control panel. Double click on the PC Card. You will see SAMSUNG 11Mbps WLAN Card. Double clicking on that will show you the Card Information, driver name and the driver file.
In Windows NT, there is no wireless monitor icon in Make sure the PCMCIA device is started as the taskbar or the Samsung Adapter does not Automatic in the device applet of the Control appear in the PC Card Control Panel applet.
In case of the Windows NT, if there is no sound after You must check the resources of the sound card you insert the Wireless LAN card. driver. If the resources are conflicting with Samsung Wireless (PCI/PCMCIA) LAN Card driver, you must change the resources.