SUPER TRADELIN E
Installation Instructions for the Trained Service Technician.
The SUPER TRADELINE® S8910U Universal Hot
Surface Ignition Module is designed to provide easy field
replacement for a wide range of hot surface ignition
modules manufactured by Honeywell, Robertshaw and
White-Rodgers. The S8910U Module provides operating
control of a direct ignition system using a 120 Vac hot
surface igniter. The S8910U replaces existing flame
rectification type hot surface ignition modules with the
• 120 Vac (up to 5A) timed warmup hot surface ignition
• Single rod (local sense) or dual rod (remote sense) hot
• One or three ignition trials per call for heat.
• Four-second or seven-second ignition trials.
• Prepurge of 32 seconds or less.
• Up to 96 seconds between trial purge times (three-trial
• Natural or LP gas.
The S8910U is not designed to replace:
• Intermittent pilot ignition controls.
• Direct spark ignition controls.
• Proven 120 Vac hot surface ignition controls.
• 24 Vac element hot surface ignition controls.
• 240 Vac input/120 Vac element hot surface ignition
• 120 Vac timed warmup hot surface ignition controls
—Ignition trial time shorter than four seconds.
—Ignition trial time longer than twelve seconds.
—Edge connectors rather than male quick-connects.
The SUPER TRADELINE® S8910U package contains the
S8910U control, and easy-to-use instructions, and the
accessories required to adapt the existing hot surface
ignition module. The accessory bag assembly includes the
White-Rodgers adapter, Robertshaw ground lead, four
1/4 in. female .032 quick-connects, one 3/16 in. female
.032 quick-connect, four selection tabs and seven wire
labels. The wiring labels are included to assure proper
marking of the wires attached to the existing module.
A complete list of the specific Honeywell and other
modules that the SUPER TRADELINE ® S8910U is
designed to replace is provided in Tables 1 through 3.
®U.S. Registered Trademark
Copyright © 1996 Honeywell Inc. • All Rights Reserved
S8910U Universal Hot
Surface Ignition Module
NOTE: The S8910U is intended to replace only defective
EXPLOSION HAZARD. CAN CAUSE
INJURY OR EQUIPMENT DAMAGE.
The S8910U can only be used for direct replace-
ment. Check Tables 1 through 3 before replacing
an existing hot surface module with the S8910U. If
the existing module is not listed, do not use the
S8910U to replace it. Always use the selection tab
specified in Tables 1 through 3 for the existing
module being replaced. Replacing with an unlisted
module or using a selection tab not specified can
result in appliance malfunction.
Control Voltage: 24V, 60 Hz.
Maximum Valve Contact Rating: 2A.
Current Draw: .4A plus valve load.
Hot Surface Igniter Voltage: 120 Vac, 60 Hz.
Contact Rating At 120 Vac: 5A.
Hot Surface Igniter or Igniter-Sensor:
Norton Model 201 or 271 or equivalent.
NOTE: If an igniter other than a Norton Model 201 or 271
ignition controls. The service technician should
make sure that the other parts of the appliance
and control system operate safely and reliably
before replacing the ignition control.
Use the S8910U only in a 60 Hz system. Be sure
the system is not 50 Hz.
is used, the igniter must meet the following
minimum specifications required over the life of
• Igniter must reach 1832°F (1000°C) within
34 seconds with 102 Vac applied.
• Igniter must maintain at least 500M ohms
insulation resistance between the igniter
leadwires and the igniter mounting bracket.
• Igniter must not develop an insulating layer
on its surface (over time) that would prevent
• Igniter surface area immersed in flame must
not exceed one-fourth of the grounded area
immersed in flame. This would prevent flame
• Igniter current draw at 132 Vac must not