Use the following procedure as a guide for computer
Note: The diagnostic tests are intended to test only IBM
products. Non-IBM products, prototype cards, or
modified options can give false errors and invalid
1. Obtain the failing symptoms in as much detail as
2. Verify the symptoms by attempting to recreate the
failure by running the diagnostic test or by repeating
the same operation.
Testing the computer
The ThinkPad computer has a test program called
PC-Doctor DOS (hereafter called PC-Doctor). You can
detect errors by running the diagnostics test of PC-Doctor.
This section is an overview on detecting the problem.
Refer to "Product overview" on page 105 for details that
depend on model-unique functions.
To run the test, do the following:
Note: In the following procedure, you can select an item
not only with the arrow keys, but also with the
TrackPoint. Instead of pressing Enter, you also can
click the left click button.
1. Insert the PC-Doctor DOS Disk into the diskette drive;
then power on the computer.
If the computer cannot be powered on, go to "Power
systems checkout" on page 35 and check the power
If an error code appears, go to "Symptom-to-FRU
Index" on page 39.
The PC-Doctor main panel appears.
2. Select Diagnostics with the arrow keys, and press
A pull-down menu appears:
Note: The pull-down menu differs depending on the
3. Run the applicable function test.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen. If there is a
problem, PC-Doctor shows some messages.
5. Reseat the cable or connector of the detected FRU
and run the test again.
ThinkPad R30 and R31