The Recovery CD package consists of these user instructions, one bootable (startable) CD and, depending
on your computer model, one or more non-bootable CDs. The CD or CDs contain a copy of the software
that was preinstalled on your IBM
Note: If your Recovery CD package has more than one Recovery CD, only one CD is bootable.
If you do not have an internal CD-ROM drive, you will need one of the supported external drives listed
IBM USB Portable CD-ROM Drive
IBM USB 2.0 Portable CD-RW Drive
If you do not have one of the supported external CD-ROM drives, visit the following IBM Web site:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-46359.html or contact the IBM HelpCenter
Important: During the recovery process, all data saved on the primary partition of the hard disk
(typically the C drive) will be deleted, including any personal data and configuration settings. If possible,
back up on removable media the personal files currently on the primary partition before using the
To recover your preinstalled software using the recovery CD, do as follows:
Step 1. Make the CD drive the first startup device in the startup sequence:
a. Shut down the operating system and turn off your computer.
b. Press and hold down the F1 key, and then turn on the computer.
c. When an IBM or other logo is displayed or if you hear repeating beeps, release the F1 key.
The IBM BIOS Setup Utility will start.
d. Depending on your computer, do one of the following:
v For a ThinkPad computer:
1) After the IBM BIOS Setup Utility program has opened, use the arrow keys to select
Startup from the main menu.
2) Use the arrow keys to select Boot from the Startup menu.
3) Use the arrow keys to select CD-ROM Drive from the Boot menu. If you are using a
supported external CD-ROM drive, select it instead.
4) Press F6 repeatedly until the CD-ROM Drive item has moved to the top of the device
listing. Continue at Step 2 on page 2.
v For NetVista and ThinkCentre computers:
1) After the IBM BIOS Setup Utility program has opened, use the arrow keys to select the
2) Use the arrow keys to select Startup Sequence from the Startup menu.
3) If CD/DVD-ROM appears as the Second, Third, or Fourth Startup Device in the
Primary Startup Sequence, then select it and press F6 repeatedly until Disabled
using the Recovery