DCP8080DN, DCP8085DN, MFC8480DN, MFC8680DN, MFC8890DW
1. When attempting to print from Tray1 the message "No Paper" appears on the LCD even
though paper is loaded in the tray.
2. There is a loud clicking/snapping noise when warming up or printing.
These symptoms are usually due to one or more of the following:
1. The Paper Empty (PE) Actuator may be stuck out of position.
2. A component within the tray drive assembly in the left frame of the machine may be damaged.
3. One or more gears on the left side of the tray may be damaged.
The root cause of these issues is the improper loading of paper into the tray, by either setting the
rear guide incorrectly or loading too much paper into the tray.
1. When the rear paper guide in the tray is set to a paper length that is longer than the paper
loaded in the tray, there is a gap between the front of the tray and the paper. The PE Actuator
will hang into this gap so that it is unable to detect the paper. With the actuator hanging in this
gap in front of the paper, the edge of the paper stack will catch on the actuator when an
attempt is made to remove the tray. If enough force is used while attempting to remove the
tray, the PE Actuator will be pulled out of position.
The paper length guide is
set to the LGL/A4
The tray extension is
set to the A4 position.
"No Paper" Message and Clicking Noise
March 22, 2010
Page 1 of 15
Loading Letter size paper
results in an empty
space below the PE