SERVICE AND ADJUSTMENTS
TO REPLACE BELTS (See Fig. 24)
The auger and traction drive belts are not adjustable. If the
belts are damaged or begin to slip from wear, they should
be replaced. It is recommended that the belt(s) be replaced
by a qualified service center.
NOTE: It is recommended that both the auger and traction
drive belt be replaced at the same time.
The V-belts on your snow thrower are of special con struc tion
and should be replaced by original equipment man u fac tur er
(OEM) belts avail able from your nearest dealer. Using other
than OEM belts can cause personal injury or damage to
the snow thrower.
WARNING: Belt replacement requires
separation of the snow thrower. While
separating the auger housing from the
frame assembly, it is important that
an assistant stand in the operating
po si tion and hold the snow thrower
han dles. Serious personal injury and/or
damage to the unit could occur if the
snow thrower should fall during the belt
chang ing process.
1. REMOVE GASOLINE FROM FUEL TANK - Drain gaso-
line from fuel tank into a suitable container, out doors,
away from fire or flame. Wipe up any spilled gasoline.
2. REMOVE DISCHARGE CHUTE - Loosen locknut
se cur ing chute rotator head to mounting bracket only
enough to allow chute rotator head to be raised and
dis charge chute to be removed from snow thrower.
3. REMOVE BELT COVER - See "TO REMOVE BELT
COVER" in this section of this manual.
4. REMOVE ENGINE PULLEY - Remove bolt and flat
washer securing pulley to engine crankshaft. Remove
outside (auger) pulley only from crank shaft.
5. SEPARATE SNOW THROWER - With your assistant
standing in the operating position holding the handles,
re move the two (2) bolts holding auger housing and
WARNING: As the last bolt is removed,
have your assistant carefully lower the
han dles down to the ground.
6. REMOVE AUGER BELT from around pulley.
7. RELIEVE TENSION ON TRACTION DRIVE BELT
IDLER and remove traction drive belt from around
HINT: Insert a 3/8" drive ratchet (in the "ON" position) into
the square hole in idler arm and rotate ratchet clockwise
to relieve tension.
8. With tension relieved on idler, install new traction drive
belt around pulleys and inside belt keepers.
9. Place auger belt around and inside the groove of auger
10. While your assistant slowly raises handles to rejoin
the auger hous ing and frame assembly, pull up on the
auger belt and squeeze sides together above pulley
so belt is fully seated in groove of pulley.
11. Move idler arm so it does not hit impeller pulley as you
bring snow thrower completely together and check
carefully for proper routing of belts. If auger belt has
become dislodged from the pulley (by catching the idler
arm bracket while bringing snow thrower together),
separate the snow thrower and re peat step 12. Belt
must be fully seated in pulley groove when bring ing
the snow thrower together.
12. Install the two (2) hex bolts and tighten securely.
13. INSTALL ENGINE PULLEY - Place belt in pulley groove
and slide pulley on crankshaft. Install flat washer and
bolt and tighten securely (41-47 N-m torque). Make
sure belt is inside belt keeper.
14. INSTALL BELT COVER and two (2) screws. Tighten
15. INSTALL DISCHARGE CHUTE – See "INSTALL DIS-
CHARGE CHUTE / CHUTE ROTATER HEAD" in the
As sem bly / Pre-Operation section of this manual.
TRACTION DRIVE BELT